Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Cinematic & Video value of D7100; advice needed

lucastro

Trois-Rivieres, CA
1 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
lucastro Registered since 09th Aug 2013
Sun 15-Sep-13 11:07 PM | edited Sun 15-Sep-13 11:14 PM by lucastro

There is an argument to the effect that current DSLR cameras can be used to make quality short films and/or documentaries. The D7100 for instance allows one to output video streaming via its HDMI port while its ISO sensitivity is really great. I would like to submit to the current D7100 forum the following issues or questions:

• If one was to record video from the HDMI port directly to a computer, what kind of software is recommended to use and which port on the computer could be used? Is the compression minimal (8.8.8?) when streaming and recording video from its HDMI port? If not, what is the video compression when recording on the internal memory card (8.4.2?)

• Microphone sensitivity can be set to manual, avoiding uncontrollable background noise amplification (when there is no steady voice or music in the background). An external microphone is recommended to avoid recording lens zooming noise.

• Which lenses would be recommended for film-making?

• Manual zooming is presumably recommended in LiveView, based on my reading about other brand cameras.

• Using Picture control. To maximize cinematic value in postproduction, it is recommended to use a Picture Control setup that is Flat Neutral. An excellent page exists on this issue for the D7000:
    http://alvaroyus.com/2011/12/20/nikon-d7000-video-tricks-picture-control/

• Finally, I was wondering if any user had been experimenting with the possibilities of the D7100 in the context of film-making and would like to share them?

G