Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9977
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 interval timer settings" Previous topic | Next topic
Mr Moose Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2011Thu 09-Jun-11 07:58 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 interval timer settings"
Thu 09-Jun-11 07:59 PM by Mr Moose

US

I'm not quite sure what the number of shots per interval would be used for?
So if I set the interval time to 5 seconds, set the number of interval's to 999,
then set the number of shot per interval to 9. The D7000 proceeds to take a burst of 9 shots every 5 sec.
Is there a way to set time between the 9 shots? With the above settings the 9 shot burst is continuous.
Is it possible to take more than 999 shots, with a 5 second delay between each shot?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 interval timer settings
JosephK Silver Member
10th Jun 2011
mikej1962
02nd Jan 2012
Porceliamone Silver Member
03rd Jan 2012
dlm43
30th Mar 2012
Lempa
31st Mar 2012
dlm43
27th Apr 2012
MotoMannequin Moderator
27th Apr 2012

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Fri 10-Jun-11 04:06 AM
4176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 interval timer settings"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

The time between each burst of shots is the interval.
The time between the shots in each burst is zero.
The max number of intervals is 999.

You can set the camera to 1 shot burst every 5 seconds for 999 times.

Using more than 1 shot per burst might be good for exposure bracketing, among other things.

To get around the limitations of the camera, you would need to use a remote release with such features or something like a tethered computer.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

mikej1962 Registered since 04th Dec 2011Mon 02-Jan-12 05:31 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 interval timer settings"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Can please I ask a different question on this subject???

When you've taken a series of shots using the interval timer, how do you then view the photographs??

Typically when I see time lapse photography on TV, it is somewhat similar to a movie.

e.g We might see the (sea)tide coming in and creating a rock pool, a bird then floats past, a crab walks over a rock.... then the tide goes out etc etc

So,,,,,, is there a software program which can be used to make this effect?

Thanks

Mike

Porceliamone Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jul 2011Tue 03-Jan-12 09:55 AM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 interval timer settings"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

Mike, you might want to try the slideshow tools in Lightroom and export as a video file adjusting the interval between each photograph accordingly to get your desired effect. Be aware that 25fps for totally smooth motion will take a huge number of images and will speed everything up dramatically. Still fun to experiment though. Windows Movie Maker should also be able to do something similar.

dlm43 Registered since 30th Mar 2012Fri 30-Mar-12 07:30 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 interval timer settings"
In response to Reply # 2

US

The interval timer on the D7000 is a bit of an enigma, in that I see no purpose to shooting a burst of up to 9 shots at the start of each interval. The bracketing suggestion seems reasonable until you find that bracketing is handled separately (D7000 Manual, p. 157). I can think of no other photographic purpose for a burst of shots at the start of each interval. So that for time lapse you need to set the number of shots per interval to one.

This mean you are limited to 999 frames for a time-lapse sequence. If you are shooting with 1 min. intervals you can shoot for up to 999/60 = 16.65 hours. At 4 shots per minute ( like shooting clouds or stars) your period is a bit over 4 hours. As a video an image sequence of 999 images will, at 24 fps, last just under 42 seconds. If that works for you great!

Otherwise you will need an external interval timer that uses the IR remote "port." I found an app for the iPod/iPhone/iPad called DSLR.bot that will control a timed or unlimited image sequence using the IR remote. However it requires an IR transmitter cable that you may have to make (it is listed now on the DSLR.bot website). Unfortunately the D7000 does not have a plug-in remote cable.

To turn an image sequence into a video I use Apple's Quick Time Pro that allows you to open an image sequence as a video. At opening you can set the frame rate between 10 sec per frame and 60 frames per second. There are multiple saving and export options. Quicktime Pro 7 is available for Windows or Mac OS.

Lempa Registered since 27th Oct 2011Sat 31-Mar-12 05:00 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 interval timer settings"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 31-Mar-12 05:13 PM by Lempa

Malmö, SE

Indeed very good input dlm43, and very nice suggestion to use an i-device to control interval timing, thanks!

The interval timer in the D7000 is not always able to do everything you need as you say, if you want to make more advanced timing sessions, time lapse etc, true, but there is one thing I probably don't understand when you say:

>Unfortunately the D7000 does not have a plug-in remote cable.
>

Maybe I'm reading you wrong here, but the D7000 does have a plug in port for remote control, probably called aux connector in English (page 3 in the manual). I have an external timer that I can plug into that "port", same as for cable remote control or GPS, and with this timer I can take full control of exposure time and do almost infinite interval shootings by setting the camera in bulb mode, and it works like a clock! Only thing stopping this programmed process is obviously battery drain from camera, or the remote timer.

Sorry if I misunderstood your point. But there are multiple ways that you can control the camera by using this connector.

/Timmy

dlm43 Registered since 30th Mar 2012Fri 27-Apr-12 03:01 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 interval timer settings"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Thanks Timmy,
My mistake, I didn't realize the port I thought was just for GPS could also be used with the MC-DC2 remote. Unfortunately the MC-DC2 is a simple remote switch and not an interval timer, and the MC-36 multi-function remote does not have the proper connector. However I found a Vello timer remote with a DC-2 connector at BH. This would be more convenient than the iPod solution I suggested. If it works like another remote time I have you can set it to run indefinitely at the preset interval. For some reason the there is a limit of 399 intervals as opposed to the 999 of the D7000.

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Fri 27-Apr-12 08:38 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: D7000 interval timer settings"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 27-Apr-12 08:42 PM by MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US

I use multiple shots per interval when I'm bracketing exposure for HDR. Set exposure bracketing for 3 shots, interval for 3 shots/interval, and you'll get a complete bracket every interval.

But, since the D7K will bracket a max of 3 shots, I can't imagine why you'd want more than 3/interval. Probably the menu item is a carryover from Dxxx cameras which allow bracketing up to 9 or 11 shots or something.

Correction, I just checked p.157 and apparently you don't need to do this for exposure bracketing, which AFAIK isn't common with my other cameras (D300/D300s) which built-in intervalometers. It looks like the shots/interval is probably just a holdover from those other cameras.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9977 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.