Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9957
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 + Light Meter Outdoors" Previous topic | Next topic
mszak50 Registered since 01st Feb 2009Thu 09-Jun-11 12:45 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 + Light Meter Outdoors"

US

I've been shooting with studio lights all winter. Using the D7000 in manual model is pretty easy - meter the lights, set the shutter speed to 200 to kill ambient, ISO 100, and set the aperture to match the metered value. If I want to change the aperture, I change the light output, re-meter and set the aperture. I don't mess with ISO or shutter speed in the studio.

I'd like to do something similar outdoors - where I meter with my handheld light meter in incident mode, somehow tell the camera what the right exposure is, and then be able to change aperture or shutter speed or ISO with the camera preserving the exposure.

Does anyone know if there is away to do that with the D7000?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 + Light Meter Outdoors
four eighty sparky Silver Member
09th Jun 2011
briantilley Moderator
09th Jun 2011
beemerman2k Silver Member
09th Jun 2011
briantilley Moderator
09th Jun 2011
09th Jun 2011
mszak50
09th Jun 2011
09th Jun 2011
mszak50
09th Jun 2011
four eighty sparky Silver Member
09th Jun 2011

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Thu 09-Jun-11 01:25 PM
1390 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 + Light Meter Outdoors"
In response to Reply # 0

US

It's call Manual. "M" on the dial on the left.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 09-Jun-11 02:45 PM
28309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 + Light Meter Outdoors"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

If I understand your question correctly, I can't think of a way of doing exactly what you want with the D7000 (or with any other SLR, for that matter).

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Thu 09-Jun-11 04:13 PM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 + Light Meter Outdoors"
In response to Reply # 0

Ellington, US

My first question: I don't own an incident light meter, but aren't there models that will take a reading and then allow you to modify the aperture and shutter speed and the meter will adjust it's settings appropriately, just like our cameras do when in Aperture or Shutter priority mode?

My second question: lets say a light meter gives me a reading, and I set my camera -- which is in Manual exposure mode -- accordingly, the internal light meter in my camera will still reflect whether the camera thinks those settings are under/over/correctly exposed, right? For example, the light meter wants F/8, 1/200 sec at ISO100, but my camera's meter thinks such an exposure is underexposed by -1/3 stop. So now I have a choice, use the incident light meter's reading or the camera's own meter reading when setting my exposure. OK, let's say I want to hold to the light meter's readings, then I can change settings on the camera all day long, but so long as the camera's internal light meter retains the same reading (that -1/3 stop), then my exposure will still agree with the incident light meter, correct?

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 09-Jun-11 04:42 PM
28309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 + Light Meter Outdoors"
In response to Reply # 3

Paignton, GB

>...correct?

No, not really.

Because an incident light meter and the camera's reflected light meter measure the light level in different ways, the difference in readings between them will depend on the subject, light angle, camera distance, and some other stuff too. Just because they differed by 1/3 stop for your first shot doesn't mean it'll be like that all day.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Thu 09-Jun-11 05:46 PM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 + Light Meter Outdoors"
In response to Reply # 4

Ellington, US

Yes, but I took from the initial question that this assumes a picture of a single, stationary object. Both the camera and the incident light meters readings change when the light changes, which presumably it will when you point at something different.

But the question was this (I think): can I change the camera exposure settings yet retain the exposure suggested by the light meter? (now my assumption: this is for a single, stationary object whose lighting will not change over the course of digital capture. One might ask, well if Beemerman's assumptions are correct, why change the settings at all? Stationary object? No change in lighting? My answer: I don't know, maybe the photographer wants to change the DOF or something?)

Beemerman2k
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

mszak50 Registered since 01st Feb 2009Thu 09-Jun-11 05:51 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 + Light Meter Outdoors"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Yes - single stationary object in constant lighting settings - but a situation where I want to vary the DOF or shutter speed for creative purposes.

I could use the incident light meter as the "calculator" when I change aperture or shutter speed (or iso), and it will recompute the remaining value based on the single reading. I then would enter those recomputed values into the camera in manual mode.

It's like I would want to put the camera in Aperture priority mode, shoot a gray card, and AE-Lock that for several shots.

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Thu 09-Jun-11 06:08 PM
#7. "RE: D7000 + Light Meter Outdoors"
In response to Reply # 6

Ellington, US

OK, what if you did this: set the camera in accordance with the light meter. OK, now let's say the camera's meter reports that the object is over/under exposed by x amount. Seems to me all you have to do is to set the Exposure Compensation value accordingly. Now you are free to put the camera in Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority mode, and the camera will retain that same Exposure Compensation value, in total agreement with the light meters reading.

This is probably what I would do.

Beemerman2k
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

mszak50 Registered since 01st Feb 2009Thu 09-Jun-11 06:13 PM
#8. "RE: D7000 + Light Meter Outdoors"
In response to Reply # 7

US

The problem I run into is re-metering the scene - I have to make sure that I lock on the exact same target that I did before in order to get the re-computed exposure to work correctly.

I'm thinking that what I need to do is either stay in manual mode, or get good at using the reflective meter in the camera. I've been just kind of avoiding having to do that, but I think it's time...

With all the bells and whistles on the d7000, I figured it was worth asking to see if it was buried in there somewhere...

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Thu 09-Jun-11 09:51 PM
1390 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 + Light Meter Outdoors"
In response to Reply # 7

US

I don't see how you're going to meter one scene and expect to shoot all day with that reading.

If I aim the camera at a wall painted black, I will get a different setting that if I aimed it at a wall painted white. Yet technically, the exposure for both walls should be the same. So is my meter lying to me? No.... it's trying to make both walls the same shade of gray. Usually close to the old-fashioned 18% gray we're all used to.

So taking one meter reading for one scene and using that setting for shooting the rest of the day is, IMPO, a recipe for disaster. You can probably to that for shooting the same subject, but as soon as you start shooting something else, all bets are off.

Me? I check the histogram of 'pert near every shot.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9957 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.