Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9949
View in linear mode

Subject: "HD Video SD cards vs Standar SD Cards" Previous topic | Next topic
mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Thu 09-Jun-11 01:53 AM
228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"HD Video SD cards vs Standar SD Cards"

Novi, US

I went to buy some 16GB Sandisk Extreme SDHC cards for my D7000. I meant to purchase the standard Extreme cards, but bought the HD Video cards by mistake. Any problem with that for still pictures? Does anyone know the difference between the cards that are HD Video and those that are not HD Video? (I take only stills, no video).

I've looked on the SanDisk website and can't really find much.

Mike

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Thu 09-Jun-11 02:08 AM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: HD Video SD cards vs Standar SD Cards"
In response to Reply # 0

US

You may notice the buffer clears a bit faster, but that's about it.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

GCDawn Registered since 18th Dec 2010Thu 09-Jun-11 04:12 AM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: HD Video SD cards vs Standar SD Cards"
In response to Reply # 0

Gold Coast, AU

I made the same mistake with an 8GB card. I was a bit worried when I read the long saga about counterfeit cards and couldn't get confirmation from the SanDisk site either. I don't shoot video much.

Card works a treat!! I have only filled it once but SO much faster than my class 6. I did Dean's buffer empty test and got 10 seconds which I thought was fine.

Dawn.

iazybandit Registered since 24th May 2011Thu 09-Jun-11 03:25 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: HD Video SD cards vs Standar SD Cards"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 09-Jun-11 03:26 PM by iazybandit

Flushing, US

>I went to buy some 16GB Sandisk Extreme SDHC cards for my
>D7000. I meant to purchase the standard Extreme cards, but
>bought the HD Video cards by mistake. Any problem with that
>for still pictures? Does anyone know the difference between
>the cards that are HD Video and those that are not HD Video?
>(I take only stills, no video).
>
>I've looked on the SanDisk website and can't really find
>much.

There really is no difference between "standard" and "video". They all do the same. In all honesty, all they did was rebadge. Kind of like a gimmick. Hardware wise, its all the same. All they did was change the sticker. Its all about marketing or perception.

Companies slap a "HD Video" sticker on a memory card so people will think its "only" for video or think its better if used for video. Not true.

Same goes for Class such as Class 4, 6 and 10. Although it may be a Class 10, its actually a Class 6. Theres more information about this on the web and how companies place their items in categories.

---------------------
Equipment: Nikon D7000 | MB-D11 Grip | Spare EN-EL-15 | Nikon SB-600 | DK-17M mod
Glass: Nikon 35mm f1.8G | Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX DG HSM
Gear: BlackRapid RS-Sport | Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home | Dolica ProLine Tripod

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9949 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.