Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9779
View in linear mode

Subject: "Assistant illuminator not working with flash on hot sho..." Previous topic | Next topic
Kahumaspy Registered since 06th Apr 2011Fri 03-Jun-11 11:35 AM
42 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Assistant illuminator not working with flash on hot shoe ?"

Montréal, CA

I was taking portrait pictures of a bar-b-q party and the flash illuminator was not working to help the camera achieve focus. The only thing working was the infrared in front of the flash (Metz mecablitz 48). Its like the camera rely on the flash infrared distance calculator to achieve focus and it's a big fail everytime.

Anyone has had that kind of problem ?

Thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Assistant illuminator not working with flash on hot...
jadiniz
03rd Jun 2011
jadiniz
03rd Jun 2011
JohnE Nikon Silver Member
03rd Jun 2011
Kahumaspy
06th Jun 2011
blw Moderator
07th Jun 2011
Kahumaspy
10th Jun 2011

jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010Fri 03-Jun-11 01:46 PM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Assistant illuminator not working with flash on hot shoe ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Estoril, PT

That's the way it's supposed to work, the flash IR should provide a better AF target illumination than the camera's. However, since I'm not familiar with your flash model, I can't comment any further. But the IR illuminator on the SB700 is a lot better than the D7000 white AF-assist light.

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010Fri 03-Jun-11 01:47 PM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Assistant illuminator not working with flash on hot shoe ?"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 03-Jun-11 01:47 PM by jadiniz

Estoril, PT

Were you using the flash on or off-body, BTW? At what distances to subject?

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Fri 03-Jun-11 02:08 PM
916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Assistant illuminator not working with flash on hot shoe ?"
In response to Reply # 0

New HArtford, US

I agree. All you need is one focus assist and an IR assist is less conspicuous and at least as accurate if not more so than your camera's light assist. Also keep in mind that for an assist to work you need to have focus bracket in the center and be shooting AF-S.

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

Kahumaspy Registered since 06th Apr 2011Mon 06-Jun-11 11:32 AM
42 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Assistant illuminator not working with flash on hot shoe ?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 06-Jun-11 11:33 AM by Kahumaspy

Montréal, CA

Thanks for the info guys. I will look into the different possibilities on the web about the Metz 48 and get back to you with info. I will probably be the owner of a sb-___ soon enough.

I was shooting with the flash on the hot shoe and at a distance of 7-8 feet !?

I'm thinking, is it possible that it's because I was using the 50mm 1.8d ? Can ttl talk to a manual focus lens ?

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 07-Jun-11 09:21 AM
26546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Assistant illuminator not working with flash on hot shoe ?"
In response to Reply # 4

Richmond, US

It's not a manual focus lens, if indeed you have a 50/f1.8 AFD. Even if you are using it in manual focus mode, it still has the electronics to return the focus distance.

The Metz flashes are top quality and unless yours is broken in some way, I'd expect it to work well. As noted by others, IR focus assist is a very legitimate technology. In fact I've been able to use a Nikon SB-800 (and probably a 600 and 900 too) in complete darkness and have it focus accurately using the IR assist. I don't see why the Metz would be any different, especially not at a fairly trivial distance like 7-8 feet.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Kahumaspy Registered since 06th Apr 2011Fri 10-Jun-11 06:58 PM
#6. "RE: Assistant illuminator not working with flash on hot shoe ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Montréal, CA

Sorry to bring this one back up but I found my problem. When I use the center focus point it's very quick. I think it's what they call the cross type ones ?

Basically I have been trying the other points and the center one seems to be the only one to work VERY well and quick at focusing.

I updated the firmware of the Metz too but that didn't seem to change anything.

So is this center focus point thing make sense ?

Thank you.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9779 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.