Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9666
View in linear mode

Subject: "Very Soft focus to no focus with my 18-200" Previous topic | Next topic
radwar Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2009Mon 30-May-11 03:47 PM
301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Very Soft focus to no focus with my 18-200"

Cupertino, US

I recently found that the focus on my D7000 is deteroiting. I noticed today when I went for a hike to take some pictures that it stopped focussing completely > 150mm.. When I bring it closer to the 18-200 it focusses and put the focus points correctly, but farther away it fails! Is it the camera or the lens? Thanks!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Very Soft focus to no focus with my 18-200
briantilley Moderator
30th May 2011
radwar Silver Member
30th May 2011
briantilley Moderator
30th May 2011
radwar Silver Member
30th May 2011
egmonster Gold Member
30th May 2011
radwar Silver Member
31st May 2011
egmonster Gold Member
31st May 2011
nikon13
24th Sep 2013
mjhach Silver Member
25th Sep 2013

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 30-May-11 04:40 PM
28321 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Very Soft focus to no focus with my 18-200"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

>Is it the camera or the lens?

Probably neither

The most likely cause is that the distant scenes have insufficient detail and/or contrast for the AF system to lock on to.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

radwar Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2009Mon 30-May-11 04:42 PM
301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Very Soft focus to no focus with my 18-200"
In response to Reply # 1

Cupertino, US

Actually, my friend was with me and with a D90 and the a 18-200 and it focused spot on. I also noticed that moving the focus ring on my lens did not focus on the scene at all, it was blurred and out of focus and the same on his d90 focused sharply a little less than infinity.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 30-May-11 05:25 PM
28321 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Very Soft focus to no focus with my 18-200"
In response to Reply # 2

Paignton, GB

>Actually, my friend was with me and with a D90 and the a
>18-200 and it focused spot on.

Perhaps you and your friend had different AF settings?

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

radwar Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2009Mon 30-May-11 06:13 PM
#4. "RE: Very Soft focus to no focus with my 18-200"
In response to Reply # 3

Cupertino, US

After this thread, I visited my friends house, swapped out the lens and it does the same thing on his camera, i.e. it autofocuses on near things, but fails to focus on anything at infinity. Putting his lens on my D7000 works like a charm.

It kind of does not make sense to me, why the AF would fail to focus at infinity though..

egmonster Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2011Mon 30-May-11 08:56 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Very Soft focus to no focus with my 18-200"
In response to Reply # 4
Tue 31-May-11 11:52 AM by egmonster

Egmont, CA

This is apparently a fairly common fault on the 18-200mm. Do you regularly install and remove filters? Often this fault can be traced to a loose front element. I had a 18-200 that did the same thing. Tightened up the front retaining ring and it was fine. Here, check this:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikon_18-200_vr/discuss/72157604812437107/

Cheers,
Michael

radwar Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2009Tue 31-May-11 12:28 AM
#6. "RE: Very Soft focus to no focus with my 18-200"
In response to Reply # 5
Tue 31-May-11 12:28 AM by radwar

Cupertino, US

Spot on! That was the issue.. did not know there was such a issue. I checked and found that front element was really loose.. screwed it back on tight and the world looks much sharper!

Thanks!

egmonster Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2011Tue 31-May-11 11:51 AM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Very Soft focus to no focus with my 18-200"
In response to Reply # 6

Egmont, CA

No worries. I'm glad I helped someone else for a change. I have found so much helpful here myself.

Cheers

nikon13 Registered since 23rd Sep 2013Tue 24-Sep-13 11:08 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Very Soft focus to no focus with my 18-200"
In response to Reply # 7

NL

I had the same problem with no focus at 200mm for my NIKKOR18-200VR. As I found on this forum, the problem was caused by a loose front glass, probably caused by unscrewing a filter, which was turned on to strongly. Using the 2 inserts, on the front lens I was able to repair it.

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Wed 25-Sep-13 12:08 AM
464 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Very Soft focus to no focus with my 18-200"
In response to Reply # 6

Simcoe, CA

That's great to know. Thanks for the tip. I do agree with Brian earlier in this thread that the contrast and amount of available light has a large effect on this "not very fast lens". I find it great for most of my landscape needs. I found it very frustrating when I couldn't get the autofocus dot to illminate, so I just grab the barrel and manually focus.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9666 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.