Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9660
View in linear mode

Subject: "Weddings using the D7000 - Any tips and hints?" Previous topic | Next topic
ellykc Registered since 28th May 2011Mon 30-May-11 02:55 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Weddings using the D7000 - Any tips and hints?"
Mon 30-May-11 02:55 PM by ellykc

GB

Hi All,

I am looking in to wedding photography (as no doubt you may have read on another post!), and would like to ask what basic things to look out for or special set-ups required when using the D7000.

Really just looking for advice and experiences as I'd really like to get this right before making it into a proper business.

All learnings and pointers would be much appreciated and very valuable to me.

Thanks,

Elly

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Weddings using the D7000 - Any tips and hints?
D7eddie
02nd Jun 2011
rbsandor Gold Member
02nd Jun 2011
JohnE Nikon Silver Member
03rd Jun 2011
billD80 Silver Member
03rd Jun 2011
mdallie Silver Member
04th Jun 2011
gbowen Gold Member
04th Jun 2011
RGBnik
06th Jun 2011
km6xz Moderator
07th Jun 2011
ellykc
09th Jun 2011
JohnE Nikon Silver Member
09th Jun 2011
ellykc
09th Jun 2011

D7eddie Registered since 20th May 2011Thu 02-Jun-11 09:44 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Weddings using the D7000 - Any tips and hints?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Keep the "technology" simple...

Make sure you backup as much as possible, second slot on D7000 plus another way to save files every once in a while (laptop during a break), or switch memory cards every now and then keeping the "used" ones separate from the camera (like maybe use 6 or 8 cards, they're cheap and means you'll lose a lot less in a problem situation)... cameras do get stolen, even at weddings!

Have a backup camera and flash with you.

And above all, watch out for the video guy! and do whatever the priest/minister/rabbi says!

Just my $.02... did lots of weddings back in the "olden days" - Mamiya twin lens, film, Vivitar 283...the whole wedding was about 72 shots! (the Wedding Photography business I worked for gave me 6 rolls of 12 exp, and 1 for a spare)

rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Thu 02-Jun-11 11:16 PM
1389 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Weddings using the D7000 - Any tips and hints?"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

i'm writing this with a bit of trepidation, as I don't want to step on your toes or insult you, but wedding photography is one of the most demanding aspects of photography. The couple will expect nothing but perfection from you as this is one of the most important days of their lives. They expect it to be captured accurately.

You are expected to have complete understanding as to how to use your camera in conditions that may vary from a darkened church (where flash may not be allowed) to a brightly lit reception hall with a videographer possibly shedding more light on the scene. And just about everything in between.

You will absolutely have to know how to use your speedlight (popups won't do) in a variety of conditions. You will be expected to know how to position the wedding members for formal shots as well as knowing how to capture candids. You'll need a backup camera and speedlight should one fail. The list goes on.

There are no "tips" you can receive for getting weddings right. It is a matter of absolute knowledge of your gear and lots of practice hopefully as a second shooter at a wedding before hanging out your shingle.

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Fri 03-Jun-11 02:14 PM
902 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Weddings using the D7000 - Any tips and hints?"
In response to Reply # 2

New HArtford, US

Most wedding photographers also carry a back up camera body. Have extra of everything... batteries, speed-lights etc. even if that means renting. You only get one shot. Even if you are doing this for free or at a reduced rate you want it to go as perfect as possible. Expectations after the event may be higher then perceived prior to it.

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 03-Jun-11 04:47 PM
2119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Weddings using the D7000 - Any tips and hints?"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri 03-Jun-11 05:07 PM by billD80

US

Seriously going into wedding photography for hire is relevant to the D7000 in a serious way -- buy two.

At some level, your question reveals more than the answers.

Here's what I would do if I were you...and this assumes that you've pretty well mastered technique, regardless of the equipment.

Read a few current books on wedding photography, and offer your services to clients free of charge, with the ability to retain rights to images you may want to have for building a potential business. You can even say that you're offering services gratis so that you can lay the foundation for paid gigs.

Make sure you inform clients/friends of your limitations before agreeing to shoot their wedding. For instance, I successfully shot my sister's wedding, but informed her that if my camera went south, I'd have no backup...

The D7000 is more than capable of phenomenal results... but to a huge extent, successful wedding images come from skill and experience, and the gear selection is built on that. It can't take the place of it.

Be honest. Be dependable. Back-up everything! And be successful.

Also, from coming across your previous thread. With respect Elly, I would also add, that your previous posts regarding exposure tend to indicate that more experience is required to have reasonable chance of success.

If you're not getting properly exposed images on the D7000, 95% of the time, in Aperture Priority, something is amiss. Unless you know what that something is, and correct it, I don't think you want to be shooting people's weddings. Weddings are special, holy, one-of-a-kind days that conscientious photographers need to nail, spot-on.

Make sure you can deliver what you promise, and make sure what you promise is in line with what potential clients will expect.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Sat 04-Jun-11 11:13 AM
222 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Weddings using the D7000 - Any tips and hints?"
In response to Reply # 4

Novi, US

I would echo rbsandor's comments. I did wedding photography for three years and I had to put a lot of time into it. I had three of everything for backup, except for lenses, where I had two (though my backups of the lenses were consumer lenses, not the pro lenses). I know people who had two cameras fail on them during a wedding and I personally had a flash fail.

The two biggest challenges are managing the people, who are filled with emotion and expectations, and dealing with the light. Your light is ever changing, not under your control, and you don't have a lot of time to figure it out. And the mixed lighting situations are very difficult to white balance.

To start I shot two wedding for friends free (these were people that weren't going to hire a photographer so they had nothing to lose if it didn't work out), and then attended a four day class in Chicago and spent six months on the digitalweddingforum.com before I took my first paid wedding.

I strongly recommend you join digitalweddingforum.com. You can learn a lot from that website.

Mike

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Sat 04-Jun-11 07:40 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Weddings using the D7000 - Any tips and hints?"
In response to Reply # 5

Canton, US

My first and so far only paid gig was for a friend of my daughter's. I can attest to how stressful it can be under ideal conditions, never mind working in a great ark of a church with dark woodwork, a demanding pastor, and poor lighting. Now factor in a new DSLR, a D70s, and an SB600 on a Stroboframe and it could easily have been a disaster. Luck sometimes does favor the foolish. I pulled it off, but I can tell you afterward I was an exhausted mass of jelly. So be prepared for that.

The D7K is far more advanced than my D70s, which is now my backup. I am taking this year to get myself thoroughly indoctrinated in using this setup before I even think about another paid gig. I agree with the advice about getting free gigs lined up. Great practice and a lot less pressure, plus a great way to build up a portfolio.

I would also suggest getting a decent digital frame. A picture is worth a thousand words and when interviewing a potential client I plan to set one up and let them see for themselves just what I offer. Plus the frame is a hit at receptions. I had one at my daughter's wedding which I shot for free last summer and people just clustered around it. Of course I had a laptop with me and did some very quick on the fly processing, but it was worth the effort when I heard all the favorable comments.

Weddings require a lot of forethought and preparation, plus the ability to think on your feet. Be prepared to adjust for changing light and the million and one things that can go wrong. I am a firm believer in Murphy's Law. He must have been a wedding photographer!

George

RGBnik Registered since 02nd Feb 2009Mon 06-Jun-11 11:51 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Weddings using the D7000 - Any tips and hints?"
In response to Reply # 6

CA

All good advice given here.

Will attest to having a backup. My one and only wedding take (as a friend) occurred many years ago, but my camera took a fall off a church pew and shutter was jammed (that was in the days of film). Did have a backup but a different camera and not as familiar with it. Pictures came out so so and an oath not to do it any more.... strange how I feel like it was only yesterday...

Aside from the advice given so far, are you also going to be doing the post processing as well? I'm sure you've seen images that were manipulated, ie. blemishes gone, making someone thinner, etc., I've seen some rather remarkable things that can be done. That in itself is a steep learning curve if you are going to get into that.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 07-Jun-11 04:51 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Weddings using the D7000 - Any tips and hints?"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

All good advice but there is something more than reading books and going to workshops: find a mentor.
Get to know those in the field in your area and volunteer to be an unpaid second shooter....or 3rd. Try to work with the people whose work you admire. Any creative business is 1/2 creativity and 1/2 practical nuts and bolts work involved with billing, promotion, internal organization, contracts, business image, scheduling, fee structure, post event services such as replacement of lost/damaged prints, customer service etc. Post processing skills are vital in any image work so be fully up to speed with Photoshop.
All this takes a long time to sort out and develop and is not the sort of thing a hobbyist has much desire for. A successful wedding photographer is not a skilled photographer, it is a business that just happens to have as one of its assets a skilled photographer.
Your photography skills are secondary to all the other when customer satisfaction is considered. The customers might not know or care about the details hobbyists argue about on forums but they know what the like, and how they feel about the whole interaction with you. It might be harder to developed the people skills for some than the photographic skills.

There are a lot easier specialties and less competitive markets to jump into, and a lot less stressful so as yourself; "Am I the sort o person who if given a choice would pick going to a wedding rehearsal and wedding or to the local college football game or movie with my partner on my only night off from work?" If you really do like weddings and the preparation for then the long time developing the skills might be an acceptable commitment of time and resources for you.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

ellykc Registered since 28th May 2011Thu 09-Jun-11 08:53 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Weddings using the D7000 - Any tips and hints?"
In response to Reply # 8

GB

First, and most importantly, thank you for your replies!!

Worry not, I have quite a bit of experience in shooting weddings and have all the equipment I need (secondry camera, flash, memory cards etc).

I think I have maybe misrepresented my meaning - I meant that as I am a newcomer to using the D7000, where there any 'quirks' I should look out for, and this was simply because I had experienced some exposure problems when I first shot a wedding (a mock wedding at that!!) whilst using the D7000 that hadn't occured in similar situations using my D50.

I learned photography using film and studied it at college, then bought a Nikon D50 which is whst I have used until recently.

I am doing exactly as one of the posts suggested - I am doing friends' weddings at little cost, and I have a mentor who is locally renowned and is actually passing work my way (incidently, this is where the mock wedding emerged from in which I had exposure probs).

Agreed, it is extremely stressful and hard to co-ordinate, but persistance and a loud shouting voice has really helped my plight by giving me some fantastic results.

I think I just need to get out and practice some more and gain more experience of this camera - I dodn't think I was quite prepared for how advanced it really is, thus the post and wanting advice on weddings.

Thanks again folks.

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Thu 09-Jun-11 09:02 PM
902 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Weddings using the D7000 - Any tips and hints?"
In response to Reply # 9

New HArtford, US

There are some nuances with regard to exposure and the D7000. I would suggest reading Topic #9644 under D7000 which goes over these nuances This mostly relates to matrix metering with the focus recompose method whereby there is extra meter weighting to where your focus bracket is when you press the shutter.

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

ellykc Registered since 28th May 2011Thu 09-Jun-11 09:19 PM
#11. "RE: Weddings using the D7000 - Any tips and hints?"
In response to Reply # 10

GB

Thanks John.

I have been following that thread with interest - it was an offshoot of something I had posted earlier.

Certainly plenty of explanation and I think it has certainly underlined a few things that I wasn't aware of with the camera!!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9660 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.