Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9471
View in linear mode

Subject: "Folders: selecting / naming" Previous topic | Next topic
cpcallen Registered since 24th May 2011Tue 24-May-11 10:13 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Folders: selecting / naming"

London, GB

Hello,

I have just upgraded to a D7000 from a D70. Mostly I love it, but the way folders works has changed and it's very annoying.

It seems that folders are all named xxxD7000, where xxx starts at 100 and is incremented when the folder is full or a new day begins.

On the D70, I can create, (re)name (at least, the last five characters) and delete folders easily, directly on the camera, and select which folder I wanted to record to / view. This is very useful when I go on a trip or otherwise end up collecting photos from many different locations / events on a single card. It seems there is no way to do this on the D7000. Am I missing something?

I tried creating some folders on the camera and then renaming them on my laptop, but after I did so putting the card back in the camera resulted in the camera showing an hourglass on the LCD (and not taking any pictures) until I took the card out again.

How do other D7000 users deal with this (IMHO rather stupid) limitation? Having to record, separately, which numbered folder relates to which location/event is very inconvenient, and will make going back to find things in my archives in future much more difficult.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

JosephK Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 25-May-11 12:35 AM
3758 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Folders: selecting / naming"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

My D200 has the same limitation. Changing the folder names on the card are a bad idea since the camera will be confused.

Instead, I use a third-party downloader to copy the pics from the card and rename the destination folder and files during the copy. The folders are named by the date (yyyymmdd) the pictures were taken. The files are named yyyymmdd_nnnn.xxx based on the date taken and the file number. (I manually reset the file number back to 1 after each download; reformat the card.)

After the pics are downloaded to my hard drive, I can then rename the folders and organize them as needed.

"Downloader Pro" by BreezeSys.com.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

jvette Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2009Wed 25-May-11 02:21 AM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Folders: selecting / naming"
In response to Reply # 1

Louisville, US

If I understand this correctly This is the way all Professional Nikon DSLR's work. You don't get to change the name but you can change the 3 number prefix. I also have been told if you move the cards between two camera types each will make a folder name under the DCIM folder. The D7000 only allows you to do three things with folders
Select an active folder from existing folders.
Create a new folder number
Select a playback folder
and thats about it. So the way they taught me was just don't mess with the folders.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

cpcallen Registered since 24th May 2011Wed 25-May-11 02:27 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Folders: selecting / naming"
In response to Reply # 2

London, GB

It's bizarre to me that their "professional" cameras would be lacking basic file management functionality that was available in their entry-level camera more than eight years ago.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 25-May-11 08:34 AM
28329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Folders: selecting / naming"
In response to Reply # 3

Paignton, GB

Maybe that's because many (or most...?) "professionals" prefer to perform their file management - renaming, assigning to folders, and so forth - when the image files are copied to their computer system. To me, the folder(s) on the memory cards are completely irrelevant; I just copy the files to a date-based folder structure on my computer, back them up and then immediately re-format the card in the camera for future use.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9471 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.