Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9448
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 AF within body not working…….solution?" Previous topic | Next topic
ackbluefish Silver Member Nikonian since 21st May 2011Mon 23-May-11 08:17 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 AF within body not working…….solution?"

US

new user here—Not sure how but AF seems stuck, can be heard within camera body but not able to engage. Lens AF works fine, as it was put on another Nikon body. Any suggestions on recalibrating this function for the body? I am not sure if there is a check list to apply before using warranty. Any help much appreciated…...

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 AF within body not working…….solution?
paul_7e Silver Member
23rd May 2011
rasworth
23rd May 2011
ackbluefish Silver Member
24th May 2011
Pocobear
24th May 2011
24th May 2011
rasworth
24th May 2011
25th May 2011
briantilley Moderator
25th May 2011
25th May 2011

paul_7e Silver Member Charter MemberMon 23-May-11 09:15 PM
301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 AF within body not working…….solution?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

There's a switch on the front of the camera body next to the lens mount button. This switch can be set to AF or M. If it's set to M, the camera will not AF. Hope this helps. Paul

rasworth Basic MemberMon 23-May-11 09:15 PM
1191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 AF within body not working…….solution?"
In response to Reply # 0

Austin, US

1. Check switch on lower left side of camera (viewed from back), should be set to AF.

2. If switch on lens for M/A - M make sure at M/A. What type of lens is it?

3. If your lens is a VR type then you may be hearing the VR mechanism, not focus.

Report back after above,

Richard Southworth

ackbluefish Silver Member Nikonian since 21st May 2011Tue 24-May-11 01:56 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 AF within body not working…….solution?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I regret getting back here so late, thank you for the response. All three are set as you have mentioned. The lens has been ruled out as being the issue. I have concluded the body contains the problem. I can hear engagement sounds, and it appears to be stuck within the body. I was able to place the lens on another body and it worked as it should…..automatically.

Pocobear Registered since 09th Apr 2011Tue 24-May-11 03:17 AM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 AF within body not working…….solution?"
In response to Reply # 3

Mechanicsville, US

Have you tried to clean the lens contacts in the camera? A little alcohol and a q-tip or a small piece of lint free cloth, very carefully clean the contacts. If that works also clean the contacts on the lens, as some of the manufacturing oil may have gotten on the lens contacts by being on the camera. Good Luck.

You don't take a photograph, you make it. -
Ansel Adams

The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance. -
Ansel Adams

ackbluefish Silver Member Nikonian since 21st May 2011Tue 24-May-11 06:49 PM
#5. "RE: D7000 AF within body not working…….solution?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Problem solved, thank you Nikon techs. As i thought…….menu mis-dial

rasworth Basic MemberTue 24-May-11 06:58 PM
1191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 AF within body not working…….solution?"
In response to Reply # 5

Austin, US

Care to share exactly the problem?

Richard Southworth

ackbluefish Silver Member Nikonian since 21st May 2011Wed 25-May-11 02:58 AM
#7. "RE: D7000 AF within body not working…….solution?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

the AF-A and AF-C focus modes where locked. I was only able to focus using the AE-L/AF-L button because of this lock, this can be accessed in the custom setting menu—at f controls. Once inside f go to f5(AssignAE-L/AF-L button and AF lock only). My lesson is knowing where to go because I may have created this problem by holding both the AE-L/AF-L button and the trigger (shutter release button) at the same time. I was shooting from "the hip". This caused the lock to engage. If this response makes sense, I am happy. I am a new user but have interaction with professional photographers and collect "bits and piece's" of info. This does not mean I know how to do things but does allow me to experiment for effect. I was suggested to make use of this site to gain knowledge. If you have any suggestions I am open to them. My focus (HA-HA) is to keep working in manual to more understand ISO, Aperture, and Shutter speed. It is all so confusing, right now. Very nice camera though.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 25-May-11 07:57 AM
28750 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 AF within body not working…….solution?"
In response to Reply # 7

Paignton, GB

It's good to hear there's nothing wrong with your camera (or your lens)

It's certainly true that if you have Custom Setting f5 set to AF Lock only, the camera will not try to focus while the AE-L/AF-L button is pressed - even if you are pressing the shutter release at the same time. Unless you want to use the AE-L/AF-L button for this purpose, it would probably be better to set it to one of the other options described on page 232 of the camera manual.

Feel free to ask further questions if you need more advice on camera settings - we're here to help!

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

ackbluefish Silver Member Nikonian since 21st May 2011Wed 25-May-11 09:07 PM
#9. "RE: D7000 AF within body not working…….solution?"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Thanks

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9448 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.