Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9406
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why doesn't focus point display consistently? (D7000)" Previous topic | Next topic
spkoppel Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jan 2009Sun 22-May-11 12:29 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Why doesn't focus point display consistently? (D7000)"

Boston, US

I'm wondering whether anyone has seen this problem...

For some reason, the focus point indicator in the display review mode doesn't show up consistently. It shows for some images, but not others, And sometimes the exact same shot will have the focus indicator displayed while another shot doesn't.

I am shooting in AF-S and use the AF-L button to lock focus. I always make sure that the focus locks, looking in the viewfinder to see that the in-focus indicator appears before releasing the AF-L button.

I think all the images are in focus, but can't figure out why the focus point indicator shows up for some shots and not others.

Has anyone else seen this happen, and do you have any ideas of why?

Thanks!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Why doesn't focus point display consistently? (D700...
Gamecocks Silver Member
22nd May 2011
GCDawn
22nd May 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
22nd May 2011
GCDawn
22nd May 2011
spkoppel Silver Member
22nd May 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
25th May 2011
spkoppel Silver Member
25th May 2011

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sun 22-May-11 01:14 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Why doesn't focus point display consistently? (D7000)"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

I have experienced the same scenario. Take several shots and view those in NX2, select focus point and some will show it while others won't. I have no idea why as the settings will be the same for the pictures. Now it's time for the really experienced people to come forward with the answer.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

GCDawn Registered since 18th Dec 2010Sun 22-May-11 05:39 AM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Why doesn't focus point display consistently? (D7000)"
In response to Reply # 0

Gold Coast, AU

Yes, I have noticed this too. I think it is to do with custom settings a1 and a2. Here's how it seems to happen with my setup.

I use the AF-L button to focus, and I have AF-C priority set to Focus and AF-S priority set to Release, and I change from AF-C to AF-S a lot. Therefore when using AF-C the shutter won't release without achieving focus, and it shows a focus point on the display. When in AF-S however, I might focus then recompose, and almost by definition there is no focus achieved, but the shutter fires happily, and no focus point is shown.

Which seems to be correct behaviour actually.

Might not be the whole story and I haven't tested it. I'd be interested in other people's opinions.

Dawn.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 22-May-11 07:12 AM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Why doesn't focus point display consistently? (D7000)"
In response to Reply # 2

Chicago, US

Are you using a single focus point only?

George
My Nikonian Galleries

GCDawn Registered since 18th Dec 2010Sun 22-May-11 07:19 AM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Why doesn't focus point display consistently? (D7000)"
In response to Reply # 3

Gold Coast, AU

>Are you using a single focus point only?

I am, yes.

spkoppel Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jan 2009Sun 22-May-11 08:11 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Why doesn't focus point display consistently? (D7000)"
In response to Reply # 4

Boston, US

Thanks Dawn -

In my examples, I am using single focus point only, and there is no recomposition involved because the camera is on a tripod. I focus using the AF-L button and then take the shot with the remote shutter. So recomposition doesn't explain it, at least for the cases I have seen.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 25-May-11 02:00 PM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Why doesn't focus point display consistently? (D7000)"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 25-May-11 02:16 PM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

I don't use AF-S nor AF-L very often, so I don't have direct experience with those modes, but the normal reason the AF-point does not show in post is that the camera doesn't think it achieved focus by the time of the shutter release. E.g. If I am shooting a long burst of a moving subject in AF-C (and RELEASE rather than FOCUS mode), some shots in the burst may not show the focus point (even though they might be in focus). However, my comment may not be relevant at all for how you shoot in AF-S with AF-L.

One other question, just curious if you use AF-S the need for setting AF-lock must be related to shooting with a remote, is that correct? Hmmm that can't be right though. I don't see what the "lock" button does for you in combination with AF-S?

Edit: Upon re-reading I see you are using the lock button to achieve focus. So the lock button must be a coincidental factor, I suspect it doesn't matter if you use half-press on the shutter or the AF-L button. In this case as long as you are in FOCUS mode (not RELEASE), I agree with your observation, there should never be a reason the focus point is not shown in post. You could experiment with using have-press on the shutter to achieve focus and see if you ever get this symptom? It would be interesting to know if that makes a difference.

I have long suspected there is a little bit if bugginess in this interaction between the camera and the software in post. I don't think this bugginess is camera specific, I have seen some weird stuff like you describe with my other cameras too over the years.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

spkoppel Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jan 2009Wed 25-May-11 08:21 PM
#8. "RE: Why doesn't focus point display consistently? (D7000)"
In response to Reply # 7

Boston, US

Steve - Yes, you are right. I use the lock button both for AF-S and for AF-C mode. Just a habit that I have gotten used to so that I always separate the shutter action from the focus lock. But for landscapes, which is what I was shooting in this example, I normally use AF-S along with the AF-L for focusing.

I spoke with a Nikon engineer today and he said that this is "Normal". I told him I can't understand how it is "Normal" for the focus point indicator to only show up some of the time, especially when I am always making sure that there is actually focus lock. He said that the answer is technical and encouraged me to submit an online question.

SO... I have submitted a question with an indication that I am aware that others have this same problem. I have asked them to escalate this because it appears that there might be this "bugginess" in the camera as you have suggested. I'll post back here once I hear back from Nikon.

Anyone else experiencing this same thing?

Steve

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9406 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.