Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9370
View in linear mode

Subject: "Delkin Snug-it Skin" Previous topic | Next topic
Hugh B Registered since 18th May 2011Fri 20-May-11 02:43 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Delkin Snug-it Skin"

Canmore, CA

Just upgraded from a D70S and want to protect my investment. I hike, kayak, canoe, back country ski so my camera tends to get knocked around a bit in spite of my best intentions.
I hike and ski with my camera suspended around my neck but supported by webbing to the D rings on the shoulder straps on my day packs.

Opinions on the Delkin Snug-it or ay other protective skins/shells out there.

Are they worth it? IE do they do the job/ drawbacks functionality loss.....

thanks;
Hugh

D7000, Sigma 18-200DC, Sigma 10-20DC HSM

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Delkin Snug-it Skin
RRRoger Silver Member
20th May 2011
briantilley Moderator
20th May 2011
RYnikon Silver Member
30th Aug 2011
agitater Gold Member
30th Aug 2011
jamtins Silver Member
31st Aug 2011
annalopez
02nd Sep 2011

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 20-May-11 01:26 PM
3087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Delkin Snug-it Skin"
In response to Reply # 0

Monterey Bay, US

Delkin sells good products.
My first thought is: what will the camera look like after removing it?
Would it be covered with adhesive?
Unless you need camouflage, I would wait till after the camera is "banged up".

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 20-May-11 01:54 PM
28321 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Delkin Snug-it Skin"
In response to Reply # 1

Paignton, GB

>Would it be covered with adhesive?

The Delkin Snug-it skins do not use adhesive.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

RYnikon Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Oct 2003Tue 30-Aug-11 02:50 AM
251 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Delkin Snug-it Skin"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 30-Aug-11 02:56 AM by RYnikon

Pittsford, US

I put a Delkin Snug-It Pro on my D7000. I was most interested in the feel of the skin, and find it gives me a better grip overall than the rubber Nikon put on the camera. Specifically, my right little finger dislikes squeezing the square bottom right front edge of the body; my D70s had a bevel around the bottom which was very comfortable.
The skin fit perfectly, but I disliked the fact that nearly all the control labels were covered. It will be a long time before I know them all by feel.
So I borrowed my wife's manicure scissors (small, slightly curved and very sharp) and cut away the skin covering the buttons and labels, enough to be able easily to feel them. It fits just as well and now I can see what I need to press.
Regards,

Robb
Photography: technically fine art!

PS -- Edit: rather than replace the rear LCD protector with the parts that came with the skin, I just pulled the skin over the protector that came with the camera. It fits just fine that way.

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Tue 30-Aug-11 04:24 AM
3862 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Delkin Snug-it Skin"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

None of the so-called camera body skins protect the internal components from impact damage. All the skins do is protect the outer camera surfaces from abrasions. Any impact severe enough to damage a camera's internals is also severe enough to overcome the very tiny amount force dissipation provided by a camera skin.

The minor abrasion protection provided by the soft synthetic latex or silicone material also, unfortunately, does a very good job of trapping moisture. Some camera skin material gets a bit slick in misty rain or high humidity conditions. All very bad IMO.

AFAIC, camera skins are a solution in search of a problem. I guarantee that any side-by-side impact tests of a skinned camera compared to an unskinned camera will reveal only abrasion/scratch protection, and almost no meaningful impact protection of any kind. The extra layer of latex or rubber between your hands and the camera body reduce tactile control of camera buttons and switches, and IMO the trade-off for abrasion protection is just not worthwhile.

Delkin Snug-It, Camera Armor, SkinIt and other products tout all sorts of dubious benefits, but don't offer any field tests or comparison tests to back up the claims. With respect to all those who are using a camera skin of some sort right now, the products are just another semi-useless accessory IMO.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

jamtins Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2011Wed 31-Aug-11 12:22 PM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Delkin Snug-it Skin"
In response to Reply # 0

Meadow Heights, AU

Hello Hugh,
I use Camera Armor on our cameras all the way back to D70. They don't offer a great protection against heavy duty shock. But they prevent the usual handling abrasions and that is a comforting thing.
They also do make the cameras a bit more tactile and mostly the buttons are still easily accessible. Can't ever remember when it was difficult.

The Delkin one has fault on the D7000 in that the moulding around the lens opening is a little bit smaller than it should be, and it catches the lens/aperture registration ring on the edge of the lens mount on the camera. So it is possible when changing lenses that the Aperture will not be set correctly for that lens.

A few minutes work with a hobby knife removed enough to make it function correctly.

That said, I am happy with the Delkin, but would change to Camera Armor if they produce a D7000.

Regards

DJ

.. I set out to discover the inventions of God. -John Muir

annalopez Registered since 02nd Sep 2011Fri 02-Sep-11 07:50 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Delkin Snug-it Skin"
In response to Reply # 5

US

If you're interested in picking up a Delkin Snug-It Pro for your D7000 Delkin is offering a 20% off coupon code through Labor Day. Enter "COMBAT20" at checkout to receive your discount on Snug-Its and everything else sold through the site.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9370 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.