Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9281
View in linear mode

Subject: "DSLR Bot" Previous topic | Next topic
Kahumaspy Registered since 06th Apr 2011Mon 16-May-11 05:29 PM
42 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"DSLR Bot"

Montréal, CA

Anyone tried it ?

It's an application on the iphone that uses an audio to infrared signal converter to control your D7000 from a distance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zMDGrLIKXE

I would use it mainly for bracketing.. to bypass the 3 brackets limit on the d7000.

Let me know what you guys think.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: DSLR Bot
liquidamber
16th May 2011
Kahumaspy
16th May 2011
liquidamber
16th May 2011
Kahumaspy
17th May 2011
Kahumaspy
17th May 2011
Kahumaspy
17th May 2011
liquidamber
17th May 2011
liquidamber
17th May 2011
Kahumaspy
17th May 2011
liquidamber
17th May 2011
greynolds Gold Member
18th May 2011
Kahumaspy
18th May 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
18th May 2011

liquidamber Registered since 14th Jan 2008Mon 16-May-11 08:40 PM
59 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: DSLR Bot"
In response to Reply # 0

Indianapolis, US

Just now p/u'd the LEDs from RadShk, needed a watch battery anyway, (not that I needed an excuse, as this looks kinda fun). If it rains tonite, I'll put this together and let you know how it works out. No rain, it's a bicycle ride and results will need wait til tomorrow.

Todd

Kahumaspy Registered since 06th Apr 2011Mon 16-May-11 09:18 PM
42 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: DSLR Bot"
In response to Reply # 1

Montréal, CA

I just got back from radio shack.

Haven't found the 940 nm led but got the 840 (I think it's just a question of radius...)... The only thing I can't figure out right now it out to activate wireless transmiter on the camera...

liquidamber Registered since 14th Jan 2008Mon 16-May-11 11:29 PM
59 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: DSLR Bot"
In response to Reply # 2

Indianapolis, US

The mode dial - top left from rear of camera - has a sliding dial at its base. There is a symbol that looks like the ML-L3 remote. That setting should do it. The one after it is 'mirror-up' which raises the mirror on first activation then opens shutter on the second.

Just got back from ride and getting ready to download the ap. Got the LEDs soldering down before. Let you know how it goes on my end in a bit.

Todd

Kahumaspy Registered since 06th Apr 2011Tue 17-May-11 03:01 AM
#4. "RE: DSLR Bot"
In response to Reply # 3

Montréal, CA

Yeah I understand this part.. but it's not what needs to be set. Something is not working...

Something I had forgotten but did is that you have to go in your iphone settings.. and under the dslr bot app you need to set it to Nikon instead of canon eos... you probably thought about it though.

I'll try the led 940 nm maybe it's just that.. or my solder.... lol.

Kahumaspy Registered since 06th Apr 2011Tue 17-May-11 03:11 AM
#5. "RE: DSLR Bot"
In response to Reply # 3

Montréal, CA

I just tested my Leds in the photo booth app (To actually see the led working...) and they work. So my solder is not the problem...

Kahumaspy Registered since 06th Apr 2011Tue 17-May-11 03:21 AM
#6. "RE: DSLR Bot"
In response to Reply # 3

Montréal, CA

Its working !

liquidamber Registered since 14th Jan 2008Tue 17-May-11 07:29 PM
#7. "RE: DSLR Bot"
In response to Reply # 6

Indianapolis, US

I'm having no such luck. My connections are as per dslr.bot, my soldering is good (enough) and my camera ir signal is set for Nikon. What did you figure out to get it all to click?

Todd

liquidamber Registered since 14th Jan 2008Tue 17-May-11 09:06 PM
#8. "RE: DSLR Bot"
In response to Reply # 7
Tue 17-May-11 09:08 PM by liquidamber

Indianapolis, US

Found the dslr.bot 'support' page. While I had set my volume to max in 'settings', I'd not maxed it out w/ the phone's volume buttons, and that did the trick.

This'll be fun to play with. Been trying to figure out how I was going to remote activate my camera from a distance as it sat on a tripod next to the bird/hummingbird feeders w/o spending an arm & leg. For exactly $25 and 45 mins labor I have the app, the IR transmitter and a 50'extension cord (already had the iphone). Should do the trick.

Haven't really concerned myself w/ HDR yet, but will play w/ the bracketing feature a bit to see what it can do in case my interests do some day lean that direction.

Todd

Kahumaspy Registered since 06th Apr 2011Tue 17-May-11 09:40 PM
#9. "RE: DSLR Bot"
In response to Reply # 8

Montréal, CA

Congrats !

That's a good idea to use the dslr bot ! Haven't thought of it this way. Without an extension I've been able to go as far as 4 meters with 840nm LEDs... does the 940 goes further ? Is that what the number mean ?

The only bug I had with it so far is that when I plug the jack in my Iphone... it doesn't always connect properly and I've read it's a common problem with Iphone4 (Canada maybe ?)... have to play with it a couple times and then the contact works.

Have fun !

liquidamber Registered since 14th Jan 2008Tue 17-May-11 11:02 PM
#10. "RE: DSLR Bot"
In response to Reply # 9

Indianapolis, US

I used the 940's, but honestly don't know what the difference would be relative to the numbering. From inside my house I can activate routinely from 30' (10m). At 40' (raining outside and that's as far as I can go inside) its hit-and-miss, firing maybe 50% of the time.

Taken the IR transmitter on and off the phone maybe a dozen times, but no problems w/ contacts. I'm still on a 3gs.

Todd

greynolds Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2008Wed 18-May-11 04:10 PM
93 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: DSLR Bot"
In response to Reply # 10

US

I just assembled my own IR emitter for this and connected the emitters directly to a 1/8" plug (basically like the one they sell) so I have the flexibility of plugging it directly into my iPad or into an extension cable. The assembly was pretty easy - all that's left is to cover the exposed contacts with some electrical tape and/or shrink wrap. Getting it to work was also pretty simple and it appears to work quite well. So far, I've tested it from about 20 feet away without any issues. This may be the best app I've found for my iPad so far.

Highly recommended and thanks to the original poster for pointing this out to all of us.

Geoff

Kahumaspy Registered since 06th Apr 2011Wed 18-May-11 04:34 PM
#12. "RE: DSLR Bot"
In response to Reply # 11

Montréal, CA

No problem !

And I just re-read my first post. This is compatible with most DSLR cameras that has an IR sensor. Not just the D7000. The good thing about the D7000 is that it has a IR sensor on the back so you don't have to be in front of the camera to make it work.

I didn't find the right "general" section to put this in but i'm sure a lot more users could benefit from it if placed in the right section... feel free to move the post.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 18-May-11 06:42 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: DSLR Bot"
In response to Reply # 12

Chicago, US

It does not appear to be able to trigger the ML-3 receiver which is used with the D100/200/300/1/2/3 series of dSLRs. It also appears that one would need to code the timing of the IR flashes for other brands of digital cameras.

The "On/Off" code for Memorex TVs also triggers Nikon dSLRs that use the ML-L3 remote.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9281 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.