Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9198
View in linear mode

Subject: "GeoTagging" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
kuzzy Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Wed 11-May-11 11:35 PM
1250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"GeoTagging"

Milford, US

Having seen all the posts on what to use for this on a D7000 I have one question to ask...Why?

Can someone who does this tell me why you do.

I can understand for some very specific scientific reasons why one might do this but other than that why. You can tag images after the fact pretty accurately if you want to using ViewNX and Google.

I am just curious.

I am also not sure if this post belongs here but I am sure I will find out where it does belong if it is moved.

thanks

Marc
There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.-Ansel Adams

http://500px.com/WhatISaw
http://kuzzy.smugmug.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Wed 11-May-11 11:49 PM
2028 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: GeoTagging"
In response to Reply # 0

Norcross, US

This question gets posted every once in a while. I geotag most of my pictures not so much for me as for future generations. I inherited a ton of pictures from around the world when my mother died. I know generally what country or state, if USA, but would like more specifics.

I'm pretty compulsive about pictures taken in faraway places, Alaska for example, but not so much for local shots.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

kuzzy Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Thu 12-May-11 01:22 AM
1250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: GeoTagging"
In response to Reply # 1

Milford, US

Thanks Bob, I figured there were a few people out there doing it for a similar reason to yours it just seems the topic gets a lot of traffic if that is the main use for the feature.

Marc
There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.-Ansel Adams

http://500px.com/WhatISaw
http://kuzzy.smugmug.com

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Thu 12-May-11 02:25 AM
2028 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: GeoTagging"
In response to Reply # 2

Norcross, US

It's become a hot topic. People seem to wish for two things on the next generation of cameras, beyond more pixels anyway, and that is GPS and network connectivity.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 12-May-11 03:45 AM
11297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: GeoTagging"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Hi Mark,

There is an ongoing discussion on this very topic over in the English Café.
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=190&topic_id=73929&mesg_id=73929&page=

It will be helpful if we can continue this discussion in the Café thread.

Thanks, Dave

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9198 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.