Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9194
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 with 70-200 VR plus 2X converter for wildlife" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
StafroPhoto Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2009Wed 11-May-11 08:56 PM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 with 70-200 VR plus 2X converter for wildlife"

Seattle, US

I am planning a photo boat trip in Alaska in July and have gotten very helpful advice on the Nikkor Lens forum. I have a D700 that I use with the 70-200 f/2.8 and a TC20E III. I was advised to use my D200 for extra reach and gave that a try recently. IT worked ok but the autofocus was slow and not always successful. That lead to a discussion of getting a D7000 for the 70-200+TC and using my D700 with a 16-35 VR for scenery.

Has anyone tried the 70-200/TC combo on the D7000? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Stan
Seattle

Stafrophoto.smugmug.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic

bigbear1 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Mar 2006Thu 12-May-11 02:13 AM
838 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 with 70-200 VR plus 2X converter for wildlife"
In response to Reply # 0

Roanoke, US

Hey Stan,
I used the D7000/70-200 VR a few weeks ago in the Smokies with excellent results. I wouldn't use the 2x TC with it. I used the 1.4X and it works great for wildlife. And you only lose a stop, as opposed to 2 stops with the 2x TC.

May I suggest that since this sounds like a once in a lifetime trip, you try to get your hands on a 300 f/4? I've used the 300 with the 1.4x for bird photography and it worked quite well, as long as there's enough light to focus with.

Have a great trip! I wish I could go with you!
John
bigbear1

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 12-May-11 07:13 AM
3325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 with 70-200 VR plus 2X converter for wildlife"
In response to Reply # 1

Dyserth, GB

Hi Stan

My normal combination for wildlife and birds in flight is my D7000 with the 70-200m with a x1.7 TCII teleconverter. This combination works well and I find no problems with focusing speed. I agree with the 300 f/4 suggestion as it works superbly with the x1.4 TC and in good light the x1.7, as said the x2 should be avoided.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 12-May-11 08:33 AM
28744 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 with 70-200 VR plus 2X converter for wildlife"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

To avoid duplication, please add further responses to the existing thread, which is still active.

Thanks!

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9194 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.