Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9121
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 - Lock Scene Mode" Previous topic | Next topic
SoonerLater Registered since 16th Apr 2011Sun 08-May-11 07:06 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 - Lock Scene Mode"

US

Is there a way to lock the Scene Mode selected so that it cannot be changed unintentionally? It's not that the Mode Dial can be moved accidentally, but once in Scene Mode, it's possible to accidentally move the Main Command Dial with your right thumb. Please note that I'm not asking for suggestions about how to hold my camera or why other modes (P, A, S) are superior. I just want to be able to select a Scene Mode, then lock it in. If there's a way to do this, please advise.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 - Lock Scene Mode
dm1dave Administrator
08th May 2011
kentak Silver Member
08th May 2011
SoonerLater
15th May 2011
briantilley Moderator
15th May 2011
SoonerLater
16th May 2011
four eighty sparky Silver Member
16th May 2011
SoonerLater
16th May 2011
four eighty sparky Silver Member
16th May 2011

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 08-May-11 09:11 PM
11303 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 - Lock Scene Mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Hi Gray,

I do not see any way to lock in a scene mode.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Sun 08-May-11 09:31 PM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 - Lock Scene Mode"
In response to Reply # 0

US

A small piece of gaffer's tape to hold the dial in place? You could even park it elsewhere on the camera when not needed for that purpose.

Kent

SoonerLater Registered since 16th Apr 2011Sun 15-May-11 04:02 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 - Lock Scene Mode"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon 16-May-11 02:48 AM by SoonerLater

US

Maybe I'll just have my right thumb amputated. I try and try to keep it parked next to the live view button (safely to the right of live view and below the main command dial), but my hand cramps after an hour of shooting live sports. Parking my thumb there requires gripping with just two fingers (index finger on the shutter button; pinkie finger can't grip anything). Maybe my hands are too big to be a photographer.

I realize that proper grip is the solution, but my most comfortable grip leaves the thumb where it can move the command dial, and every once and I while, I do move it without realizing it. One notch from "Sports" is "close-up" (macro). You can't shoot soccer in macro mode. I find out I've done it when the shutter won't release. Then I have to put my glasses back on to get the mode back in "Sports", because there's no indication for the Scene selection through the viewfinder. With diopter adjustment, I can see well through the viewfinder, but can't see the controls on the outside of the camera, or read the LCD panel. But with glasses on, I can't see through the viewfinder very well, so I tend to take them off to shoot.

No doubt this is not a problem for the vast majority of D7000 owners, but I still wish Nikon would modify the firmware to give us a "scene-lock" option.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 15-May-11 08:17 AM
28752 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 - Lock Scene Mode"
In response to Reply # 3

Paignton, GB

Have you thought about adding an MB-D11 battery grip to your D7000? Many people with larger hands find that the grip improves the handling of the camera

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

SoonerLater Registered since 16th Apr 2011Mon 16-May-11 02:47 AM
#5. "RE: D7000 - Lock Scene Mode"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>Have you thought about adding an MB-D11 battery grip to your
>D7000? Many people with larger hands find that the grip
>improves the handling of the camera

That's a darned good idea. I probably will. If any of my local shops had one that I could hold, I'd probably buy one right off. But with a price over $200, this is not an impulse buy via the intertubes. Thanks for the suggestion.

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Mon 16-May-11 03:22 AM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 - Lock Scene Mode"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>That's a darned good idea. I probably will. If any of my local
>shops had one that I could hold, I'd probably buy one right
>off. But with a price over $200, this is not an impulse buy
>via the intertubes. Thanks for the suggestion.

FWIW, I'm dropped $60 for a knock-off. I haven't received it yet, but I plan on posting a review once I get my twitchy paws on it.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

SoonerLater Registered since 16th Apr 2011Mon 16-May-11 02:34 PM
#7. "RE: D7000 - Lock Scene Mode"
In response to Reply # 6

US

>FWIW, I dropped $60 for a knock-off. I haven't received it
>yet, but I plan on posting a review once I get my twitchy paws
>on it.

Please advise what/where/when on your purchase, either in this thread or in a PM.

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Mon 16-May-11 03:29 PM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 - Lock Scene Mode"
In response to Reply # 7

US

>
>Please advise what/where/when on your purchase, either in this
>thread or in a PM.
>

Just search ebay for MB-D11. All the knock-offs will pop up. I figured for sixty clams, what the heck! $60 isn't going to bankrupt me if it turns out to be a dud.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9121 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.