Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9113
View in linear mode

Subject: "I'm in...now what?" Previous topic | Next topic
Photograffiti Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Apr 2006Sun 08-May-11 05:30 AM
448 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"I'm in...now what?"
Sun 08-May-11 05:31 AM by Photograffiti

LA (Lower Arkansas), US

Ok...I drank the Kool-Aid and ordered the D7000. I'm waiting on the Big Brown Sleigh to bring me my gift (to myself). I sold my D300 and D90 to fund the purchase. What will be the most instantly noticeable gains from doing this? Any tips or suggestions?

Mark
www.markpricephotography.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: I'm in...now what?
Gamecocks Silver Member
08th May 2011
billD80 Silver Member
08th May 2011
beemerman2k Silver Member
10th May 2011
Photograffiti Silver Member
11th May 2011
jamtins Silver Member
11th May 2011
billD80 Silver Member
11th May 2011
Photograffiti Silver Member
15th May 2011
beemerman2k Silver Member
11th May 2011

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sun 08-May-11 11:23 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: I'm in...now what?"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

As you are coming from the 90 and 300 there shouldn't be a big learning curve, if any. I suggest that you carefully read the manual, jot down your settings initially, and have fun with your new gift.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 08-May-11 11:26 AM
2118 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: I'm in...now what?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>Ok...I drank the Kool-Aid and ordered the D7000. I'm waiting
>on the Big Brown Sleigh to bring me my gift (to myself). I
>sold my D300 and D90 to fund the purchase. What will be the
>most instantly noticeable gains from doing this?

I would first look into the aspects and features of the D7000 that encouraged you to switch from your other gear. That's where the first perceived gains should be.

My favorites aspects are the skin tones, WB accuracy, increased pixels, huge battery life, lighter weight/sealed body, 100% viewfinder...

But my fvorites may not be relevant to your experience.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Tue 10-May-11 04:11 AM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: I'm in...now what?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 10-May-11 04:13 AM by beemerman2k

Ellington, US

>I sold my D300 and D90 to fund the purchase. What will be the
>most instantly noticeable gains from doing this?

Uh oh.

I love my D7000, but is there really that great a difference between it and the D90/D300? The D90, maybe, but the D300 has that super-duper focus engine. And 12 versus 16mp, I suppose if you have to crop you'll appreciate the extra headroom. The D300 supports 14 bit raw, right? I would think so. If not, then to me this might be the greatest difference in the richness of the image factor. I think the world of the D7000, but I'm not sure I would have recommended jettisoning either of those nice camera bodies for it.

I'd be interested in your feedback once you get accustomed with the D7K. You can tell us whether it was worth it. I'd like to know.

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

Photograffiti Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Apr 2006Wed 11-May-11 04:51 AM
448 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: I'm in...now what?"
In response to Reply # 3

LA (Lower Arkansas), US

I'm not really worried about the learning curve. I'm just wondering about noticeable improvements. Hopefully the D7000 is better at ISO 2500 than either of my previous cameras were at ISO 1600. While I don't expect it to rival my D700, it will be nice to have a smaller body that I can crank up for low-light shooting.

I bought this camera to serve as a backup to my D700 for wedding/paid shoots, but also to be a (relatively) lightweight alternative for walkaround shooting. I also wanted a camera that would meter with my MF lenses. I'm hoping it'll work for these purposes. Now that I've found a Tamron 17-50 NON-BIM lens to slap on the mount, my expectations are even higher.

Mark

jamtins Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2011Wed 11-May-11 07:59 AM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: I'm in...now what?"
In response to Reply # 4

Meadow Heights, AU

Hi,

I use the D7000 with a MF 600mm f5.6. It has the little ring around the lens mount to couple with the ring on the lens, so the camera is able to interpret the aperture setting on the lens, and when you add the detail of the lens focal length and max aperture into the Non-CPU lens data in the "Spanner" section, it will be able to adjust the shutter speed to match the lighting conditions. (if you don't you get some special code read out as the camera software obviously uses numbers like 1 for widest aperture, 2 for one stop down, etc. And your EXIF records like 1/1250 at F1. Looks good, but....)

The quid-pro quo, addendum or rider is that the camera must be set to "A" or "M" mode for all this to happen automatically.

I have shot with it now for the best part of 6 months and it works a treat. The long lens is such a sweet product to have for bird photography. Yep, I guess having to manual focus is a drag. But.... I reckon on getting as many sharp shots as those working with Auto focus lenses and missing the focus point completely. ps, I don't do birds in flight!
I also suspect that the new generation of autofocus everything is one day going to discover manual focus and tout it about as some 'new' discovery for greater foto satisfaction, but then I don't do facebook.

When I use it with a AF-S 300mm f4, it certainly is faster to focus than the D200 or D90, I also used. It seems sometimes to lock and fire without me being ready for it, but it is always sharp.
I don't Backbutton focus on the 300mm, too old and arthritic to use all those joints at the same time. <gg>
Enjoy the camera, it takes a little getting across some things, but I would go an buy another tomorrow if the need arose.

Good luck

DJ

.. I set out to discover the inventions of God. -John Muir

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 11-May-11 12:06 PM
2118 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: I'm in...now what?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Now that I've found a Tamron 17-50 NON-BIM
>lens to slap on the mount, my expectations are even higher.

I have the original version of this lens. Here's one just done on the D7000. Keep in mind, you may want to set your in-camera sharpness setting to around 6. Nikon ships it set very conservatvely at 3...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Photograffiti Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Apr 2006Sun 15-May-11 05:27 AM
#8. "RE: I'm in...now what?"
In response to Reply # 6
Sun 15-May-11 06:01 AM by Photograffiti

LA (Lower Arkansas), US

> Now that I've found a Tamron 17-50 NON-BIM
>>lens to slap on the mount, my expectations are even
>higher.
>
>I have the original version of this lens. Here's one just
>done on the D7000. Keep in mind, you may want to set your
>in-camera sharpness setting to around 6. Nikon ships it set
>very conservatvely at 3...

Thanks for the tip, Bill! I noticed that I wasn't getting the critical sharpness I got with my previous copy of this lens, so I took your advice (I even cranked up the sharpness to 7). It makes quite a difference.

Mark

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Wed 11-May-11 01:58 PM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: I'm in...now what?"
In response to Reply # 4

Ellington, US

>I'm not really worried about the learning curve. I'm just
>wondering about noticeable improvements. Hopefully the D7000
>is better at ISO 2500 than either of my previous cameras were
>at ISO 1600. While I don't expect it to rival my D700, it
>will be nice to have a smaller body that I can crank up for
>low-light shooting.
>
>I bought this camera to serve as a backup to my D700 for
>wedding/paid shoots, but also to be a (relatively) lightweight
>alternative for walkaround shooting. I also wanted a camera
>that would meter with my MF lenses. I'm hoping it'll work for
>these purposes. Now that I've found a Tamron 17-50 NON-BIM
>lens to slap on the mount, my expectations are even higher.

Given this goal-set, I expect you'll be very happy.

No, it isn't a D700. Probably, if you have the skill set, you can come very close to D700 low light/high ISO capability, but since I'm not there I cannot comment. Others have reported their satisfaction with how close the D7K comes to the D700 in those conditions.

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9113 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.