Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9104
View in linear mode

Subject: "Using Slot 2 as overflow." Previous topic | Next topic
dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Sat 07-May-11 07:44 PM
710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Using Slot 2 as overflow."

San Francisco, US

I am new to the D7000 and to using a camera with two memory slots. If I want to use the second slot as overflow, when the slot 1 card is full can I remove it, move the slot 2 card to slot 1, put a fresh card in slot 2 and have an uninterrupted series of photos recorded on the slot 1 (formerly slot 2) card. Hope this is clear - its really a simple question. Thanks

dgs

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Using Slot 2 as overflow.
four eighty sparky Silver Member
07th May 2011
luckyphoto Silver Member
08th May 2011
dgs2
08th May 2011
briantilley Moderator
08th May 2011
dgs2
11th May 2011
briantilley Moderator
11th May 2011
adamcartwright Silver Member
14th May 2011
mdallie Silver Member
15th May 2011

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Sat 07-May-11 08:45 PM
1452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Using Slot 2 as overflow."
In response to Reply # 0

US

I assume you're thinking about having one card with nothing but a sequential series of images, instead of breaking them up between cards.

I suppose the idea would work, but once you load them into your computer, it will put them all back in sequential order anyway.

If you're gonna mess with both cards before it starts to write to the card in the second slot, it's really kind of a moot point.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sun 08-May-11 02:37 AM
739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Using Slot 2 as overflow."
In response to Reply # 1

Port Charlotte, US

You're going through the same amount of steps and virtually the same amount of time it would take to remove both cards at once and replace the with 2 new cards. I really see no advantage.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Sun 08-May-11 08:22 AM
710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Using Slot 2 as overflow."
In response to Reply # 2

San Francisco, US

The advantage would be if card 1 rolls over to card 2 and you stop shooting for the day, you could switch card 1 out, refresh, and be ready to go with two almost empty cards for the next day. I'm using 16 GB cards, so it's unlikely I will fill two of them in one day's shooting. That is a lot of shooting for me - 1000 NEFS.

dgs

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 08-May-11 09:33 AM
28673 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Using Slot 2 as overflow."
In response to Reply # 3
Sun 08-May-11 09:33 AM by briantilley

Paignton, GB

I can only see any value in this if you're keeping the images on the card(s) permanently and want them to be sequential for some reason.

Otherwise - as has been pointed out - once you save the images to a computer you can view or arrange them in date/time or file name order anyway.

It's certainly not something I worry about with my D3s (the only camera I have with two card slots)

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Wed 11-May-11 04:31 AM
#5. "RE: Using Slot 2 as overflow."
In response to Reply # 4

San Francisco, US

I'm in Europe for three weeks without a computer. That essentially is "permanent".

dgs

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 11-May-11 08:23 AM
28673 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Using Slot 2 as overflow."
In response to Reply # 5

Paignton, GB

My point is that, unless you need the images to be in date/time sequential order on the cards for some reason, you can sort it all out once you get home

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

adamcartwright Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jan 2011Sat 14-May-11 05:15 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Using Slot 2 as overflow."
In response to Reply # 3

Castle Rock, US

Yes- it will work fine the way you describe. When you're in overflow mode, when slot 1 is full, it starts filling slot 2. if you pull the card out of slot 1, it will continue to use slot 2 until a card with room appears in slot 1. Move the cards if you prefer and all is well. I do this in sports - if I've gone into overflow by halftime, I'll rotate cards so that I have a numbered sequence on my cards - makes it easier for me in my PP workflow.

http://www.adamcartwright.com

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Sun 15-May-11 11:28 AM
228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Using Slot 2 as overflow."
In response to Reply # 7

Novi, US

Despite all of the questions, I think the approach makes a lot of sense to me.

Mike

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9104 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.