Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9051
View in linear mode

Subject: "Very Long Exposure Times" Previous topic | Next topic
grosda Registered since 18th May 2006Fri 06-May-11 01:59 AM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Very Long Exposure Times"

US

Friends;

I am going to an area in the next few weeks that has very dark skies. I am interested in trying some star photography. One of the suggestions for shooting images of the milky way is to use exposures of up to 90 seconds. I know that M and S modes allow shutter speeds of up to 30s and then roll over to bulb. Any suggestions on how to go above 30s, beyond using my remote control in bulb and hand timing?

p.s. what does the x60 setting for shutter speed (one click beyond bulb) mean??

Regards,

Dale G.
a Missouri Nikonian

My Nikonians Gallery
My Website
My Photo Blog

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

TakeTwo Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Fri 06-May-11 02:21 AM
214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Very Long Exposure Times"
In response to Reply # 0

South Lake Tahoe, US

Hi Dale, I shoot stars quite often and don't very often go above 30 seconds. I shoot wide open with my 12-24 @ f4 ISO 800 ev30 seconds. I live in Lake Tahoe and the skies are as dark as I have seen them. I think wide angles let in more light too. You can also purchase a intervalometer for a reasonable price that can leave your shutter open longer than the sky is dark. Here is a link. Don

http://www.amazon.com/Aputure-Contral-Shutter-Inexpensive-Intervalometer/dp/B003Y2YTEE

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Fri 06-May-11 03:34 AM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Very Long Exposure Times"
In response to Reply # 0

US

There's a ton of after-market releases available for the D7k. Some are literally like a computer.

You can, if you really want to go whole-hog, tether the camera to a laptop for shooting. There's plenty of free & low-cost software available to do this with.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9051 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.