Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9012
View in linear mode

Subject: "Working with Picture Controls" Previous topic | Next topic
jamtins Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2011Thu 05-May-11 07:53 AM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Working with Picture Controls"

Meadow Heights, AU

Hi,
Pretty new to Nikonians, so suspect this has been answered a zillion times.

On the D7000, using modified Picture controls, what effect does the Active D-Lighting have?
On the D90, I remember that it deselected the Contrast and Brightness.
However the D7000 does not seem to do that.
The few shots I have made using D-Lighting on, don't seem to have much effect on the highlight areas, (but does make difference in the shadows)

Better to use D-Light or lower the contrast and brightness in Pic control?
(Yep, I understand about post process controls)

It also seems to me that lowering the Brightness does reduce the noise levels at higher 800,1600 ISO, but again, I might just be getting old.

DJ

.. I set out to discover the inventions of God. -John Muir

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Working with Picture Controls
Len Shepherd Gold Member
05th May 2011
jamtins Silver Member
06th May 2011
billD80 Silver Member
06th May 2011
kwaldron
06th May 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
06th May 2011
billD80 Silver Member
06th May 2011
mdallie Silver Member
07th May 2011
JPJ Silver Member
07th May 2011

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Thu 05-May-11 09:59 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Working with Picture Controls"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

Nikon Pros guidance at seminars for pro photographers is, if there is a chance of burning out highlight detail, use D lighting prior to taking the picture.
The reason given by Nikon is, used this way, D lighting reduces the exposure level as shadow detail is easier to recover than highlight detail.
As the human eye detects shadow differences better than highlight differences the effect is more obvious in shadow areas - but highlight modifications may still be applied.
Page 139 shows the menu options and page 114 explains active D lighting bracketing - useful if shooting jpeg or post processing RAW outside of NX2. D lighting settings can be edited post processing in NX2 - but may not help when highlight detail is lost.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

jamtins Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2011Fri 06-May-11 06:11 AM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Working with Picture Controls"
In response to Reply # 1

Meadow Heights, AU

Thanks for the input.

Still not sure that D-Lighting is really going to give me a better result than just turning down the "Contrast" in Pic Control.

Mostly thinking of Birds on branches in sunlight. Trying to keep detail in the lovely white feathers or highlights on beak or bill and get some detail in shadow areas. As you point out, we seem to be able to tolerate loss of highlight detail somewhat, but look for detail in shadows.

Will keep trying.

DJ

.. I set out to discover the inventions of God. -John Muir

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 06-May-11 12:10 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Working with Picture Controls"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 06-May-11 12:12 PM by billD80

US

Here's one shot facing the sun, under pretty tough conditions, with Active D-Lighting set to Extra High. Note the shadow detail in the grass at lower left, and the trees came out well too. I've NEVER regretted using D-Lighting... This was done in RAW, converted in Capture NX2.

Keep in mind, unless you use View NX2 or Capture NX2, or shoot in-camera JPEGs, I don't believe the D-Lighting settings in-camera are properly translated by other programs.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

kwaldron Registered since 01st Dec 2010Fri 06-May-11 07:33 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Working with Picture Controls"
In response to Reply # 3

CA

>Here's one shot facing the sun, under pretty tough
>conditions, with Active D-Lighting set to Extra High. Note
>the shadow detail in the grass at lower left, and the trees
>came out well too. I've NEVER regretted using D-Lighting...
>This was done in RAW, converted in Capture NX2.
>
>Keep in mind, unless you use View NX2 or Capture NX2, or shoot
>in-camera JPEGs, I don't believe the D-Lighting settings
>in-camera are properly translated by other programs.
>
>
>

But if processing outside the NX2s can we not achieve the same affect in post processing? After all there's a lot more bits in them thar NEFs.

Wicked lens distortion by the way.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 06-May-11 08:19 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Working with Picture Controls"
In response to Reply # 4

Chicago, US

An uncompressed NEF has the largest number of bits and provide the most processing options.

The uncompressed NEF has the RGB value from each pixel without modification. The "MakerNote" section has all the possible in camera settings. Nikon Capture NX 2 has the magic codes to process all of these settings. You might be able to convert some of the Nikon values to values used by other programs. The big question is "Is this exercise worth your time and effort or do you want to take photographs?".

George
My Nikonian Galleries

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 06-May-11 10:18 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Working with Picture Controls"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>An uncompressed NEF has the largest number of bits and
>provide the most processing options.
>
Nikon Capture NX 2 has the magic
>codes to process all of these settings.

Until relatively recently, I didn't know this was the case. I'm sure most users of Lightroom and Photoshop have no idea this is the case.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Sat 07-May-11 10:38 AM
231 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Working with Picture Controls"
In response to Reply # 6

Novi, US

Bill,

I would agree that most don't realize that the only camera setting that Lightroom, Aperture, Photoshop, etc., apply to your photos is White Balance. I've been processing RAW for many years and only recently learned this. And if there is any doubt in anyone's mind, shoot RAW + JPG, pull up your RAW in your favorite editor and compare it to your JPG. The difference is not trivial, and might be pretty pronounced depending on the PC that you have set.

Mike

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Sat 07-May-11 01:21 AM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Working with Picture Controls"
In response to Reply # 4

Toronto, CA

>But if processing outside the NX2s can we not achieve the same
>affect in post processing? After all there's a lot more bits
>in them thar NEFs.
>
>Wicked lens distortion by the way.

Sometimes yes and sometimes no. As Active D-Lighting actually impacts your exposure (by applying negative compensation) you may find that without it your highlights are simply too far to the right to recover PP.

If shooting in conditions with an extreme DR (such as Bill's photo) Active D-lighting can be magic.

Jason

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9012 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.