Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9008
View in linear mode

Subject: "d7000" Previous topic | Next topic
TomHanma Registered since 05th May 2011Thu 05-May-11 06:20 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"d7000"

FI

Hello to all the Nikon fans!

I have just joined your fantastic community after following the discussions from the sidelines for a while. Reasons for joining are many, but the ability to understand my camera gear is the priority, as well insights into workflow on other parts of the forum.
However, the final push into making my own account came from lack of good information regarding shooting RAW with the d7000 and this is what i know would like to ask you, the experts!

I have the d7000 (duh) + kit lens 18-105, and i shoot all RAW+JPG(fine) I don't do anything with the JPGs, unless sharing them right away somehow.
I do postprocessing all in Lightroom 3
I import, filter out bad ones, crop, process everything on one sitting.

The quuestion(s) is; Am i hurting myself making too many tweaks in camera setting so that the JPGs are fantastic when taken straight from camera and sent by e-mail? I understand that some of the functions (such as d-lighting) on d7000 can hurt if using RAW?
Also, such a newbie that i am, would you please be as kind to let me know what the best settings are for the d7000, shooting RAW+Lightroom 3? All help is Highly appreciated

Regards;

Tom

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

nikonsherry Registered since 07th Apr 2011Thu 05-May-11 04:11 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: d7000...best settings!!"
In response to Reply # 0

IN

IMO there can be no 'best settings', as everyone has his/her own preference and shooting style...however, there are several webpages on the subject.
For starters you may have a look at:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d7000/users-guide/

but beware...Ken seems to be rather fond of overly vivid, bright colors, and extra sharpness too!

also try:
http://www.bythom.com/nikond7000review.htm

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pjr Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2005Thu 05-May-11 04:35 PM
2244 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: d7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Manotick, CA

Hi Tom,

Could you let us know what kind of shooting you're planning on? I ask because I'm wondering if you want recommended settings for just general shooting, or for more specific situations like sports, street, etc. etc.

Thanks,

Phil
A Canadian Nikonian
My portfolio: www.pjr99.500px.com

TomHanma Registered since 05th May 2011Thu 05-May-11 10:23 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: d7000"
In response to Reply # 2

FI

>Hi Tom,
>
>Could you let us know what kind of shooting you're planning
>on? I ask because I'm wondering if you want recommended
>settings for just general shooting, or for more specific
>situations like sports, street, etc. etc.
>
>Thanks,

Hi,

I mostly shoot overall travel pictures right now, still being on the road for a while. I have my U1 set for Landscape and U2 for night shooting. Mostly use A, S and M modes, with Scene modes being the rest 2%.

I'm not looking to get a specific signature into my files, just a basic good settings with average sharpness, neutral good colours etc etc.
Will look into those links, thank you.

Tom

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9008 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.