Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8986
View in linear mode

Subject: "Need Opinion Of Anyone Who Has Used The D7000 and D3100" Previous topic | Next topic
J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Wed 04-May-11 03:27 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Need Opinion Of Anyone Who Has Used The D7000 and D3100"

US

I need to make a decision today and would like the opinion from anyone who has owned or used the D7000 and D3100.

I shoot for the fun and enjoyment. I am not a professional and will never shoot a picture for money. My first digital camera is the D3100 that I've owned since it was released. It's performance has been very nice and I do enjoy it's simplicity, but there is three areas that seem to be lacking.

1. Lack of adjustment buttons to keep me from going into the menu.

2. Low light shooting performance could be better.

3. The BIG one is I don't like the small viewfinder frame coverage and magnification.

I own the following lenses: 16-85DX, 18-200DX VRII, 35DX F/1.8, 24-120 F/4 FX, 28-300 FX.

My questions:

1. Does the D7000 really have a lot more improvement in low light performance?

2. Is there a very noticable improvement in the viewfinder over the D3100?

3. Is the D7000's 14-bit RAW performance noticably better than the D3100's 12-bit.

4. Lastly, I know there is a lot more adjustments/settings on the D7000, but can I still enjoy it's sophistication and keep it simple like the D3100, I like to shoot using aperture priority.

Thanks for any replies.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Need Opinion Of Anyone Who Has Used The D7000 and D...
km6xz Moderator
04th May 2011
Pocobear
04th May 2011
J_Harris Silver Member
04th May 2011
billgreen
04th May 2011
luckyphoto Silver Member
05th May 2011
J_Harris Silver Member
05th May 2011

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 04-May-11 06:51 PM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Need Opinion Of Anyone Who Has Used The D7000 and D3100"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Have you considered the D5100? It has the simplicity of the D3100 if desired but also more direct control when you want it and has the low light performance of the D7000.
If you are looking for ease of getting the shot the D90 might have a lot lower learning curve. For sharp images, your technique will need to be a lot more precise than a D90, or D3100. It is not such a hot casual shooting camera, even a lot of experienced users required rethinking their approach to get the images they expected from the D7000. It is not forgiving of lax attention to lens quality, careless hand holding technique.
For those who are willing to adjust and accept a long learning curve, its is probably the best DX format camera ever made.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Pocobear Registered since 09th Apr 2011Wed 04-May-11 07:02 PM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Need Opinion Of Anyone Who Has Used The D7000 and D3100"
In response to Reply # 0

Mechanicsville, US

1. Yes, definitely.
2. Yes, especially if you use glasses, sun glasses included.
3. Yes there is a difference, but, will you notice it???
4. Yes. I use Aperture priority and Auto ISO much of the time, especially at concerts.

You don't take a photograph, you make it. -
Ansel Adams

The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance. -
Ansel Adams

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Wed 04-May-11 10:54 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Need Opinion Of Anyone Who Has Used The D7000 and D3100"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 04-May-11 11:03 PM by J_Harris

US

Thanks for the replies.

Well, ready or not...I bought a new D7000. Tonight I will carefully read the manual and set the camera up for testing tomorrow.

I probably would be very happy with the D5100, except the viewfinder is like the D3100 and not as good as the D7000. I hope it's a noticeable improvement. If not, it will have been a expensive experiment gone wrong.

billgreen Registered since 14th Oct 2010Wed 04-May-11 11:22 PM
388 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Need Opinion Of Anyone Who Has Used The D7000 and D3100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Questions 1 and 2: a resounding yes on both. The finder difference is like night and day.
Bill

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Thu 05-May-11 03:33 AM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Need Opinion Of Anyone Who Has Used The D7000 and D3100"
In response to Reply # 4

Port Charlotte, US

Learn a few basics and practice using a few of the buttons. Follow a few simple guidelines and the camera will deliver excellent results.

There's now an abundance of D7000 resources such as books and field guides plus this forum. We all look forward to seeing your D7000 photos.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Thu 05-May-11 01:55 PM
#6. "RE: Need Opinion Of Anyone Who Has Used The D7000 and D3100"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Did a few preliminary indoor test shots. I decided to push the limits and did not use my 35 f/1.8, instead I attached the 24-120 f/4. After several shots of some colorful oil paintings and chasing my cat around the house, all I can say is fantastic. The low light capabilities are so much better than the D3100. Also, the viewfinder is so much nicer to use.

I'm sure all of you D7000 owners are aware of this already.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8986 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.