Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8982
View in linear mode

Subject: "MB-D11 Knock-offs!" Previous topic | Next topic
four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Wed 04-May-11 12:50 PM
1397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"MB-D11 Knock-offs!"
Sun 08-May-11 09:23 PM by dm1dave

US

These popped up on Fleabay this morning, for anyone interested in getting a cheap MB-D11 knock-off:

Edited to remove ebay links as per TOU

2.5. Do not place references in the forums to items you're selling on another site. Links of any kind to online auctions are not allowed and will be removed. Auctions at Nikonians are not allowed.

I'm not endorsing them in any way.... just posting them FYI.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: MB-D11 Knock-offs!
cdndave
04th May 2011
four eighty sparky Silver Member
05th May 2011
cdndave
05th May 2011
adcam Gold Member
04th May 2011
TxWizard Gold Member
05th May 2011
05th May 2011
greynolds Gold Member
05th May 2011
briantilley Moderator
05th May 2011
palmerfralick
06th May 2011
briantilley Moderator
06th May 2011
palmerfralick
07th May 2011
07th May 2011
MrOverSt
08th May 2011
08th May 2011
km6xz Moderator
08th May 2011
MrOverSt
09th May 2011
MrOverSt
11th May 2011

cdndave Registered since 11th Apr 2011Wed 04-May-11 07:15 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: MB-D11 Knock-offs!"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

Just bought one

thanks for the heads up. They include both a AA adapter and the proprietary battery bays.

D

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Thu 05-May-11 02:47 AM
1397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: MB-D11 Knock-offs!"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>Just bought one
>
>thanks for the heads up. They include both a AA adapter and
>the proprietary battery bays.
>
>D

Which one did you get?

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

cdndave Registered since 11th Apr 2011Thu 05-May-11 02:42 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: MB-D11 Knock-offs!"
In response to Reply # 3

CA

Like TxWizard I frequently purchase from link-delight and have never had a problem (except they once shipped me a set of dead batteries). I ordered from them. I don't expect to receive it for a few weeks, generally thing take 3-4 weeks when shipped from China.

>>Just bought one
>>
>>thanks for the heads up. They include both a AA adapter
>and
>>the proprietary battery bays.
>>
>>D
>
>
>Which one did you get?

adcam Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2007Wed 04-May-11 07:22 PM
577 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: MB-D11 Knock-offs!"
In response to Reply # 0

Portland, US

I'm still waiting for actual reviews before I hand them my cash.

TxWizard Gold Member Nikonian since 14th Feb 2009Thu 05-May-11 02:28 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: MB-D11 Knock-offs!"
In response to Reply # 2

Fayetteville, US

I have purchased from link-delight before. I got the battery grip for my D90 and it came with 2 batteries and the aa adaptor as well. So far I have not had any problems and the service was great, It took about 10 days for it to come across the water. Hope this helps.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Thu 05-May-11 04:35 PM
#6. "RE: MB-D11 Knock-offs!"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I'll take one for the team........ I just dropped $60 for one.

Other than the rubber part on the genuine Nikon version (With their MB-D11 model number & logo, etc), they all look exactly the same. My guess is they're made in the same factory anyway. This is the same suspicion the folks at my local camera store have.

Visit my website.

greynolds Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2008Thu 05-May-11 05:14 PM
93 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: MB-D11 Knock-offs!"
In response to Reply # 6

US

>My guess is they're made in the same factory
>anyway. This is the same suspicion the folks at my local
>camera store have.

That would be my guess too. They look too close to identical to be anything else. It just goes to show just how much markup there is on a lot of this stuff.

I've been debating over whether I "need" or would ever use a vertical grip. For >$200, the answer is pretty much a definite no. For $60, it seems like a good idea to pick one up to have around in case I want to use it. Of course, I'd also need to get the RRS plate for it too...

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 05-May-11 05:24 PM
28329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: MB-D11 Knock-offs!"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

One problem with this type of non-OEM product is the implications for your camera warranty.

If you use a genuine Nikon MB-D11 and it happens to cause a problem with your D7000 during the warranty period - perhaps due to an electrical short - Nikon will fix it for you. With one of these "knock-offs", you're on your own

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

palmerfralick Registered since 14th Dec 2009Fri 06-May-11 02:30 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: MB-D11 Knock-offs!"
In response to Reply # 8

US

>One problem with this type of non-OEM product is the
>implications for your camera warranty.
>
>If you use a genuine Nikon MB-D11 and it happens to cause a
>problem with your D7000 during the warranty period - perhaps
>due to an electrical short - Nikon will fix it for you. With
>one of these "knock-offs", you're on your own :(

Would that also be the case with using a a non Nikon lens, as they also have connections that could short the camera?

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 06-May-11 03:46 PM
28329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: MB-D11 Knock-offs!"
In response to Reply # 9
Fri 06-May-11 05:15 PM by briantilley

Paignton, GB

A lens has no power source, so I think there is less chance of a problem, but I have heard occasional stories of a 3rd Party lens manufacturer blaming the camera when an issue comes up, and Nikon blaming the lens

Personally, I have no problem with buying lenses from a reputable brand like Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Voigtlander or Zeiss. I wouldn't put that risk in the same class as buying a cheap "knock-off" of the Nikon grip on eBay.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

palmerfralick Registered since 14th Dec 2009Sat 07-May-11 05:10 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: MB-D11 Knock-offs!"
In response to Reply # 10

US

>A lens has no power source, so I think there is less chance
>of a problem, but I have heard occasional stories of a 3rd
>Party lens manufacturer blaming the camera when an issue comes
>up, and Nikon blaming the lens
>
>Personally, I have no problem with buying lenses from a
>reputable brand like Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Voigtlander or
>Zeiss. I wouldn't put that risk in the same class as buying a
>cheap "knock-off" of the Nikon grip on eBay.

I personally have not seen this grip, but in my business I find many times a product from a well
known manufacturer can be bought for pennies on the dollar rebranded. Both made by the same company. This is especially true with parts or accessories. Exact same part but the OEM
may or may not offer warranty or tech support. I bought a 3rd party warranty from the store where I purchased my D7000 so I'm covered.

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Sat 07-May-11 06:29 PM
#12. "RE: MB-D11 Knock-offs!"
In response to Reply # 10

US

I guess I'll have to stick to buying Nikon batteries, Nikon filters, Nikon tripods, Nikon SD cards, Nikon speedlights, Nikon camera bags, Nikon lenses, Nikon teleconverters, Nikon extension tubes, Nikon filter wrenches, Nikon remotes (wired and RF), Nikon USB cords, Nikon card readers, Nikon software, Nikon printers, Nikon printer paper, Nikon HDMI cords, Nikon AA batteries (for Nikon speedlight), Nikon natural light, Nikon artificial light, Nikon moonlight............

Visit my website.

MrOverSt Registered since 02nd May 2011Sun 08-May-11 03:57 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: MB-D11 Knock-offs!"
In response to Reply # 12

US

>I guess I'll have to stick to buying Nikon batteries, Nikon
>filters, Nikon tripods, Nikon SD cards, Nikon speedlights,
>Nikon camera bags, Nikon lenses, Nikon teleconverters, Nikon
>extension tubes, Nikon filter wrenches, Nikon remotes (wired
>and RF), Nikon USB cords, Nikon card readers, Nikon software,
>Nikon printers, Nikon printer paper, Nikon HDMI cords, Nikon
>AA batteries (for Nikon speedlight), Nikon natural light,
>Nikon artificial light, Nikon moonlight............

Im 100% sure using non-nikon neck straps void your warranty as well. You can also say the same about the photographer. You know if hes not a nikon employee, you can kiss that warranty goodbye.

RAW dog it.

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Sun 08-May-11 06:40 PM
#14. "RE: MB-D11 Knock-offs!"
In response to Reply # 13

US

>Im 100% sure using non-nikon neck straps void your warranty as
>well. You can also say the same about the photographer. You
>know if hes not a nikon employee, you can kiss that warranty
>goodbye.

Damn. I used a non-Nikon lens brush... I guess I'm hosed now.

Visit my website.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 08-May-11 07:40 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: MB-D11 Knock-offs!"
In response to Reply # 14

St Petersburg, RU

One reason the MB-D11 is more expensive is the difference in case material. These look like nice castings but the Nikon version is metal and these are obviously plastic. That said, I ave nothing but great performance from my plastic MB-D80 copy from Zeikos.

This concern over warranty repair is often repeated but has ANYONE heard of a grip causing a problem for the camera? I haven't. Besides, removing the grip from the camera before sending it in for warranty repair would require more technical detective work on the part of the Nikon camera mechanics than is reasonable to expect. They are not electronics experts and are not paid to track down the cause of a problem.....if at all even possible for a grip to damage a camera..., they replace assemblies and calibrate cameras, lenses and flash units.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

MrOverSt Registered since 02nd May 2011Mon 09-May-11 04:21 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: MB-D11 Knock-offs!"
In response to Reply # 14

US

>>Im 100% sure using non-nikon neck straps void your
>warranty as
>>well. You can also say the same about the photographer.
>You
>>know if hes not a nikon employee, you can kiss that
>warranty
>>goodbye.
>
>
>Damn. I used a non-Nikon lens brush... I guess I'm hosed
>now.

Im definitely screwed. I just plugged my camera up to my apple macbook pro.

RAW dog it.

MrOverSt Registered since 02nd May 2011Wed 11-May-11 04:56 AM
#17. "RE: MB-D11 Knock-offs!"
In response to Reply # 16

US

So how about some reviews. Possibly with video.

RAW dog it.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8982 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.