Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #897
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 first impressions" Previous topic | Next topic
dankeny Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2006Sun 17-Oct-10 11:08 PM
1457 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 first impressions"

Roland, US

For comparison 35mm I've owned FE, FE2, D100, D200, D300, D700 and shot with 7D.

It's small. Some features are menu driven and some buttons are different placement (DOF Preview). AF system buttons? No C mode Af. The 80-400 seems huge on this body. It works well. I will post some example tomorrow if CS5 recognizes the raw files.

The battery is different--one hopes better because all my remaining bodies use the same system (gave D100 away). The cordless charger is nice.

SD cards are very handy. I especially like that you can shoot one as backup.

Biggest difference to me is the AF system. It's all new. It actually reminds me more of 7D than any Nikon body I have used. Is it better or worse? I don't know yet. It's different and it's going to take a little time. I can't seem to get it into spot meter mode. Automatic mode uses multiple sensors on the fly. This is likely very good for some subjects if you know how to use it--landscape and wildlife, not so much.

Images look good on the viewfinder, once I took the protective sheet off. There was a funny moment when I thought that was as good as the preview got.

Video? I haven't fooled with it.

Cheers,
David

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 first impressions
kwb49 Silver Member
18th Oct 2010
wwt67 Silver Member
18th Oct 2010
dankeny Gold Member
18th Oct 2010
kwb49 Silver Member
18th Oct 2010
dm1dave Administrator
18th Oct 2010
hpcphoto
18th Oct 2010
dankeny Gold Member
18th Oct 2010
hpcphoto
18th Oct 2010
Reply message OOPS!
dankeny Gold Member
18th Oct 2010
philipl Gold Member
18th Oct 2010
sirraj Silver Member
19th Oct 2010
dankeny Gold Member
19th Oct 2010
hpcphoto
27th Oct 2010
af4nc Gold Member
28th Oct 2010

kwb49 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Dec 2007Mon 18-Oct-10 12:03 AM
1427 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 first impressions"
In response to Reply # 0

East Liverpool, Ohio, US

David... are you saying that there is no AF-C mode at all, or that you have to change it in the menu? As a sports shooter on a budget if there is no AF-C mode at all, I will stick with my D90. I wanted this camera for the high ISO ratings without having to go to the D700 and full frame.

Keith

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Mon 18-Oct-10 12:50 AM
327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 first impressions"
In response to Reply # 1

Warsaw, US

Yes, there is AF-C. There is a button in the center of the AF/M switch (which is just below the lens lock release button on the front). You push the button and rotate the rear dial for AF-A, AF-C, or AF-S. Push the button and rotate the front dial to select the number of focus points and 3D tracking.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dankeny Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2006Mon 18-Oct-10 01:20 AM
1457 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 first impressions"
In response to Reply # 1

Roland, US

Keith,

Sorry if I misled. I was talking only about the buttons. Others have explained. I actually worked a little more with the Af system. I rather like it. It has Afs, afc and af auto. Auto tries to decide for you. Uses afs for stationary subject and afc if it's moving.

David

kwb49 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Dec 2007Mon 18-Oct-10 02:06 AM
1427 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 first impressions"
In response to Reply # 5

East Liverpool, Ohio, US

Thanks David.

Keith

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 18-Oct-10 12:40 AM
11047 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 first impressions"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

It does have AF-C mode.

The AF switch on the front of the camera has changed. The toggle only changes you between AF a MF. When the switch in in the AF position you must press the button (in the middle of the toggle switch) and rotate the main command dial until the correct AF mode is shown in the viewfinder or top LCD.

Ref: page 92.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Underwater | Online Assignments| Best of 2014

hpcphoto Registered since 13th Nov 2009Mon 18-Oct-10 12:59 AM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 first impressions"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Come on Dave! Shoot some video why don't you? I am itching with anticipation!
Ed

Check out my website

www.hpcphoto.com !

Or my stock site:

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_search.php?action=file&membername=hpcphoto

dankeny Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2006Mon 18-Oct-10 01:26 AM
#6. "RE: D7000 first impressions"
In response to Reply # 4

Roland, US

As is my son. He has a 7D but looks at my glass like a hungry vulture. I expect he will test the video sufficiently by tomorrow evening. He was all excited about the 24 p. Btw: he shot the 48 hour film this year with his 7d and they couldn't get it rendered fast enough. HD video requires some serious HW to edit.

David

hpcphoto Registered since 13th Nov 2009Mon 18-Oct-10 01:40 AM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 first impressions"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Looking forward to your (or your son's) first impressions!
Thanks.
Ed

Check out my website

www.hpcphoto.com !

Or my stock site:

dankeny Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2006Mon 18-Oct-10 04:24 PM
#9. "OOPS!"
In response to Reply # 0

Roland, US

No ACRs support yet. Guess I better shoot some jpegs.

David

philipl Gold Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Mon 18-Oct-10 07:57 PM
1725 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7000 first impressions"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 18-Oct-10 07:58 PM by philipl

Oxford, US

I'm suprised you find it small.

D300S 147x114x74 840 grams
D7000 132x103x77 690 grams
D3100 124x96x74 455grams

I'm looking for a replacement for my wife's D60 and would rather get a D7k but size and weight are very important to her so it's a D3100.

Philip

Do not settle for mediocrity. Rather strive for excellence for even in that attempt lies a measure of success.

My Gallery

sirraj Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2005Tue 19-Oct-10 04:42 PM
189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7000 first impressions"
In response to Reply # 0

Minneapolis, US

Can you explain what you mean by cordless charger?

Thank You,

Sirraj

dankeny Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2006Tue 19-Oct-10 08:02 PM
#12. "RE: D7000 first impressions"
In response to Reply # 11

Roland, US

There is an attachment to the charger which plugs directly into the wall socket. I assume, like the cords, various attachments for juice in different countries. Essentially the charger plugs directly into the wall once the small attachment is, well yes, attached.

David

hpcphoto Registered since 13th Nov 2009Wed 27-Oct-10 09:30 PM
#13. "RE: D7000 first impressions"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Any video yet?
Ed

Check out my website

www.hpcphoto.com !

Or my stock site:

af4nc Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jul 2007Thu 28-Oct-10 09:10 PM
3084 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D7000 first impressions"
In response to Reply # 0

Yardley, US

I had one in my hand today, and didn't like it. It is a little small, in size, and cramped when holding in the right hand. I guess I am use to the D300/D90 size body. Also I personally don't like the SD cards, while I understand their advantage, I have so many CF.

I will wait for the D300S replacement.

Tom
D200, D2X, D300, D3S

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #897 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.