Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8902
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nightshot focusing" Previous topic | Next topic
james90x Registered since 16th Apr 2011Fri 29-Apr-11 01:34 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nightshot focusing"

US

hi everyone. I wonder if anyone has any tips for focusing at night. sometimes my camera can't auto focus on a scene.i tried manual but when I magnified the picture it was a little out of focus.Tips please.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nightshot focusing
ericbowles Moderator
29th Apr 2011
james90x
29th Apr 2011
pjr Gold Member
02nd May 2011
TakeTwo Silver Member
03rd May 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
03rd May 2011
MajorNikon
07th May 2011

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 29-Apr-11 01:58 PM
8523 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nightshot focusing"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

It depends on the scene.

One suggestion is to find something bright or clearly defined in your image close to the plane of your subject.

Another idea is to use the distance scale on your lens to estimate manual focus.

The + sensors - like the center sensor - are better when you are having trouble with the AF. Select the center sensor and see if the camera will AF on its own.

Try to just focus about 1/3 of the way into the scene - either with AF or Manual. It will make the nearer parts of the image in focus, so the eye will not be as particular about a focus error.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

james90x Registered since 16th Apr 2011Fri 29-Apr-11 05:59 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nightshot focusing"
In response to Reply # 1

US

thanks very much Eric I will definitely try that. I'll let you know how it works out.

pjr Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2005Mon 02-May-11 04:21 PM
2244 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nightshot focusing"
In response to Reply # 2

Manotick, CA

Also, you can try shining a flashlight on the subject to focus, if it's close enough.

Phil
A Canadian Nikonian
My portfolio: www.pjr99.500px.com

TakeTwo Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Tue 03-May-11 05:06 AM
214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nightshot focusing"
In response to Reply # 3

South Lake Tahoe, US

I can offer a suggestion. Something that I do during night shots. If your having problems focusing I would suggest shooting in manual mode with auto focus off.

As I have stated on another topic I use the aperture dial to set my focus. While in aperture priority set it wide open. And then turn on live view. you will see as bright an image as you will be able to under your conditions. Find the brightest light in the area that you want in focus and zoom in on it with the + button to max the view on the screen. Focus in until your satisfied and and do your composition and then switch you priority dial to manual and adjust for your shot.

And like others have said, a flashlight is a good thing too. Don

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 03-May-11 03:11 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nightshot focusing"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Use manual focus and aperture priority or manual. Set the subject distance by the distance scale on the lens, then set the aperture to f/8-f/11 for the best DOF, Depth of Field. Set your shutter speed as necessary

George
My Nikonian Galleries

MajorNikon Registered since 07th May 2011Sat 07-May-11 03:46 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nightshot focusing"
In response to Reply # 0

US

One thing I would add is that if you have a SB900 the AF assist beam can be used with or without triggering the flash itself. It works out to about 10 meters and can be a very effective way to achieve AF in low light situations. Some of the other Nikon speedlights do not allow you to use the AF assist without triggering the flash. I'm not sure which ones will and which ones won't other than the SB900 will and the SB600 won't.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8902 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.