Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8756
View in linear mode

Subject: "A-M switch on D700 "Kit Lens" (AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm ..." Previous topic | Next topic
SoonerLater Registered since 16th Apr 2011Mon 25-Apr-11 09:00 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"A-M switch on D700 "Kit Lens" (AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR)"

US

Stupid question...

When using the D7000 with the "kit lens" (AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR), under what circumstances do you ever switch the A-M (auto-manual, I presume) switch from "A" to "M"? The camera body has an AF-M (auto-focus / manual focus) switch. If you want to focus manually, do you have to switch *both* the body to M and the lens to M? If you want to use auto focus, do you have to switch both to A?

Like I said, stupid question, but I can't find the answer in the manual.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 25-Apr-11 09:17 PM
2120 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: A-M switch on D700 "Kit Lens" (AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR)"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 25-Apr-11 10:00 PM by billD80

US

>
>Like I said, stupid question, but I can't find the answer in
>the manual.

It's not a stupid question, because on some lenses, using the lens manually, without switching to 'M' WILL damage the focus linkage (The original Tamron 17-50/2.8, for instance).

On other lenses (Sigma's with HSM motors), the lens switch is less critical.

When doing multi-exposure tripod work, once finding perfect focus, I've just moved the on-lens switch and ignored the D7000 switch, because it's redundant in that case.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Tue 26-Apr-11 01:33 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: A-M switch on D700 "Kit Lens" (AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR)"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

Hello Gray,

Welcome to the community. Check page 99 for MANUAL FOCUS using AF-S and AF lenses. Check page 71 for mode M for auto focus. Hope this helps.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

SoonerLater Registered since 16th Apr 2011Tue 26-Apr-11 03:21 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: A-M switch on D700 "Kit Lens" (AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR)"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>>> Check page 99 for MANUAL FOCUS using AF-S and AF lenses.

I read the User Manual cover-to-cover before I posted. If Page 99 addresses the A/M switch on the *LENS*, I don't see/understand it. Page 99 only deals with the AF/M "focus mode" switch on the *BODY* (see User Manual, page 13, "AF Mode Button").

>>> Check page 71 for mode M for auto focus.

I read that too, but it does not seem to address the AF/M switch on the body or the A/M switch on the lens. The User Manual does not address the specific AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR "kit lens" or the A/M switch on the lens. No manual for the kit lens was provided.

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Tue 26-Apr-11 09:03 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: A-M switch on D700 "Kit Lens" (AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR)"
In response to Reply # 3

Joanna, US

I regret that this did not help. The notes section on page 99 (marked with a paperclip) states that the kit lens "can select manual focus simply by setting the lens focus-mode switch to M". Also, it directs attention to pages 315-316 that give information regarding the lens.

I included page 71 as a reference to using manual mode while maintaining AF. You should be able to go to Nikon USA and find information regarding the lens settings.

I would believe that if you can't find the needed information, to be safe you should use the same setting for camera and lens; when A or M is selected on one put it on the other. This follows advice in the caution section (marked with a check) on page 99; although this refers to AF lenses it should work with all. Good luck.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8756 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.