Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8709
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 standard picture control yellowish" Previous topic | Next topic
gqtuazon Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2009Sun 24-Apr-11 11:46 PM
640 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 standard picture control yellowish"

FPO, US

Hello all. Has anyone noticed when taking pictures of leaves or plants, the D7000 renders a yellowish color compared to the D700 using standard picture control? I tried using the "velvia" picture control from the D700 forum but the images still gives it a yellowish color and requires more adjustment to get the desired color. How do you adjust your picture controls. I use Nikon NX2, shoot RAW + jpg , 14 bit and transfer them using the Nikon software. Here is a sample image to give you an idea. I appreciate any advice or recommendations. Thanks.

Regards,

Glenn
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24917880@N02
http://gqtuazonphotography.smugmug.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 standard picture control yellowish
four eighty sparky Silver Member
25th Apr 2011
gqtuazon Silver Member
25th Apr 2011
four eighty sparky Silver Member
25th Apr 2011
gqtuazon Silver Member
25th Apr 2011
dm1dave Administrator
25th Apr 2011
gqtuazon Silver Member
25th Apr 2011
JPJ Silver Member
25th Apr 2011
gqtuazon Silver Member
25th Apr 2011
JPJ Silver Member
25th Apr 2011
xpertkn
26th Apr 2011
dm1dave Administrator
26th Apr 2011

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Mon 25-Apr-11 12:04 AM
1453 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 standard picture control yellowish"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Looks fine to me. I don't see any yellow cast.

What is this 'velvia' setting? Is it something new that mine doesn't have?

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gqtuazon Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2009Mon 25-Apr-11 12:18 AM
640 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 standard picture control yellowish"
In response to Reply # 1

FPO, US

>Looks fine to me. I don't see any yellow cast.

I'm sorry this was already post processed to give it this look. I'll upload the original file later.

>What is this 'velvia' setting? Is it something new that mine
>doesn't have?

You can read more about it here

Regards,

Glenn

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Mon 25-Apr-11 12:28 AM
1453 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 standard picture control yellowish"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>
>>What is this 'velvia' setting? Is it something new that
>mine
>>doesn't have?
>
>You can read more about it
>here
>

I don't get it. You were able to somehow transfer a setting available to the D700 to a D7000?

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

gqtuazon Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2009Mon 25-Apr-11 12:46 AM
#4. "RE: D7000 standard picture control yellowish"
In response to Reply # 3

FPO, US

Yes. If you follow the instructions that the members have posted you can do it. You can also upload it with Nikon NX2 and adjust the picture controls using raw file. I uploaded both files to my D7000.

Regards,

Glenn

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 25-Apr-11 12:52 AM
11293 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 standard picture control yellowish"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

What are you using for White Balance?

If you are using Auto WB then that could explain the color cast.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

gqtuazon Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2009Mon 25-Apr-11 01:02 AM
#6. "RE: D7000 standard picture control yellowish"
In response to Reply # 5

FPO, US

>What are you using for White Balance?
>
>If you are using Auto WB then that could explain the color
>cast.

Hi Dave. I was not aware of that. I do use Auto WB with both cameras. Which WB do you suggest for outdoor? Thanks.

Regards,

Glenn

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Mon 25-Apr-11 01:10 AM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 standard picture control yellowish"
In response to Reply # 6

Toronto, CA

Which auto white balance do you have set in the shooting menu, the d7k has 2 different options. Auto 2 tends to render warmer images and would explain the colour cast. I tend to use Auto 1 and fine the d7k nails white balance pretty much every time.

Jason

gqtuazon Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2009Mon 25-Apr-11 09:39 AM
#8. "RE: D7000 standard picture control yellowish"
In response to Reply # 7

FPO, US

>Which auto white balance do you have set in the shooting
>menu, the d7k has 2 different options.

Hi Jason. I only see 1 auto WB in the shooting menu. Today I tried a sunlight WB with vivid picture control. The leaves on this one should be much darker. File was a jpg and resized. No other PP.

Regards,

Glenn

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Mon 25-Apr-11 09:34 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 standard picture control yellowish"
In response to Reply # 8

Toronto, CA

If you go into the shooting menu and pressing right on the white balance option you will see Auto at the top of a list that looks like the normal list of WB options (incandescent, tungsten, etc.). If you press right again on Auto, you will be taken to a 2nd sub-menu that has two options:

Auto1 - Normal

Auto2 - Keep warm lighting colors

If you have Auto2 set, it would explain the warmer color cast.

I also find the D7000 quite contrasty and tend to shoot in Neutral now as well as keeping Auto WB set to Auto1.

Jason

xpertkn Registered since 26th Apr 2011Tue 26-Apr-11 12:41 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7000 standard picture control yellowish"
In response to Reply # 8

HK

I have similar issue when shooting bright red turns into orange-ish. If i change the wb, the other color became off. I use the same lens and same setting on d5k and d7k, the difference is quite noticeable. Not very happy about it as I love the color that came out of the d5k and this is supposed to be an upgrade. I'll post a couple of samples later on. Eager to try the color profile too.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 26-Apr-11 01:10 AM
11293 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7000 standard picture control yellowish"
In response to Reply # 10

Lowden, US

Hi Ken, welcome to Nikonians!

The problem you describe "shooting bright red turns into orange-ish" is likely a slightly different but common problem. Digital cameras often clip or "blow out" (overexpose) the red channel easier than the Blue or Green channels. When the red channel is overexposed your reds tend to turn orange or yellowish. Your overall exposure may look fine.

When you see this color shift look at the RGB histogram to see if the red channel is bumped against the right side of the chart. If so then decrease your exposure until all three histograms look good. This could cause the overall exposure to look a bit dark but you can fix that by using Active D-Lighting or just adjusting the shadows in post processing.

It can help to use a neutral Picture Control when shooting well lit bright reds and yellows. The other picture controls can add saturation to the reds causing them to look blown out when they really are not.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8709 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.