Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8706
View in linear mode

Subject: "Backfocusing with 50mm 1.4D only?" Previous topic | Next topic
mszak50 Registered since 01st Feb 2009Sun 24-Apr-11 09:29 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Backfocusing with 50mm 1.4D only?"

US

I just got back from a shoot that I shot solely with the d7000 and Nikon 50mm 1.4D. Imagine my surprise getting home to find 200 images all more or less too soft to use.

I apologize to all those that heard my expletives across the country (they were loud).

So, I pulled out my 85mm 1.8D, and 105 2.8 VR, and they both focus just fine. The 50mm focuses perfect on my d90.

Is it unusual to have one lenses that is out of whack that way? Or do I have a bad d7000?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Backfocusing with 50mm 1.4D only?
mszak50
24th Apr 2011
JPJ Silver Member
25th Apr 2011
mszak50
25th Apr 2011
JPJ Silver Member
25th Apr 2011
richardd300 Silver Member
02nd May 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
02nd May 2011

mszak50 Registered since 01st Feb 2009Sun 24-Apr-11 10:17 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Backfocusing with 50mm 1.4D only?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Note: my 18-200 backfocuses too (at 200mm) - although not has much.

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Mon 25-Apr-11 01:04 AM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Backfocusing with 50mm 1.4D only?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 25-Apr-11 01:06 AM by JPJ

Toronto, CA

Both cameras and lenses are calibrated to focus within a certain tolerance. Normally this is not an issue. However if you have a body and a lens that are both calibrated on the same outer edge of the manufacturer's tolerance, the cumulative degree of tolerance can produce consistent back or front focusing.

In short, it can't be the d7k because it focuses fine with other lenses. It also can't be the lens, it focuses fine on the d90. It is the combination of body and lens. I would get a good test chart, set it up parallel to the camera's sensor and run some AF fine tune tests. You are fortunate because the d7k has AF fine tune (if this was your d90 it becomes more complicated - you may have to chance having the body or lens recalibrated by Nikon and hope it didn't throw some other lens/body combo out of whack) and the 50 is a prime lens which makes fine tuning much easier.

Jason

mszak50 Registered since 01st Feb 2009Mon 25-Apr-11 09:54 AM
#3. "RE: Backfocusing with 50mm 1.4D only?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I'm at the edge of fine tune adjustment for that lens/body combo - albeit with a home made test chart/process.

What's a "good test chart" (and associated testing process)?

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Mon 25-Apr-11 12:16 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Backfocusing with 50mm 1.4D only?"
In response to Reply # 3

Toronto, CA

I have used this one before with good results: http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/res-chart.html

As for a testing procedure, I like Chuck Westfall's suggestions here:

http://digitaljournalist.org/issue0812/tech-tips.html

I would tape the chart to a wall, use a tripod and Mup mode. Test at a distance that is at least 50x the focal distance, but make sure your AF target (I use the middle one on this chart) MORE than fills you center AF sensor.

Jason

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 02-May-11 05:25 PM
3104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Backfocusing with 50mm 1.4D only?"
In response to Reply # 4
Mon 02-May-11 05:26 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

I had serious focusing problems with my D7000 initially on all my lenses. After bottoming it out (and no AF tuning didn't help as it was me) I was still left with one lens that in fact I am selling as it soft focuses badly on the D7000, but is perfectly sharp on my D700. Coincidentally, it's my only "D" lens the Nikon 80-400mm. I am sure there are those who will not agree with my thoughts that perhaps the old technology of the 80-400mm can't keep up with the new technology of the D7K. Even I think it's unlikely, but there we are, I seem to have a similar problem with a "D" lens.

Just a few thoughts.

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Mon 02-May-11 09:14 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Backfocusing with 50mm 1.4D only?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 02-May-11 09:17 PM by Len Shepherd

Yorkshire, GB

It is a bit difficult to comment without sample images.
Unless your 50mm f1.4 D is broke and will not AF on any body it plays absolutely no part in where the camera AF chooses to focus.
As other lenses are good on your body your body is good - because a defective body front or back focuses with every lens and in the same direction.
With the lens off a body if the AF drive rotates smoothly when the focus ring turns the lens is unlikely to be defective but clean the contacts and try it on another body if you can - to likely eliminate the lens as well as the already eliminated body.
If the lens and body are working as they should then maybe it is something you are doing - this may help
https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4585
Edit - I forgot to mention - the screwdriver AF drive on the camera body works with the 85mm D - so the body drive is good.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8706 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.