Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8569
View in linear mode

Subject: "Sandisk Class 4 SDXC card for D7000?" Previous topic | Next topic
abuhannibal Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Apr 2011Wed 20-Apr-11 06:56 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Sandisk Class 4 SDXC card for D7000?"
Wed 20-Apr-11 07:00 PM by abuhannibal

teaneck, US

I have been following the discussion here re larger cards vs. smaller and am still pondering that issue, but for the moment, wanted to ask if folks have experience with the Sandisk Class 4 SDXC and whether it is fast enough for normal still shooting with a D7000- i have no interest in HD video, so basically if I can shoot 3-exposures for HDR purposes without overflowing the buffer that's really all I need at this point.

Thanks in advance! I am expecting my D7000, 18-200 and Tokina 11-16 to arrive tomorrow and am really looking forward to getting to know it!

-- Bob

PS: I should add that I plan to shoot RAW, probably 14-bit uncompressed. But I am doing landscape work so waiting a few seconds for the data to get written is not a problem at all, as long as those 3 HDR shots will not overflow the buffer...

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Sandisk Class 4 SDXC card for D7000?
Robman3
20th Apr 2011
abuhannibal Silver Member
20th Apr 2011
Robman3
20th Apr 2011
four eighty sparky Silver Member
20th Apr 2011
21st Apr 2011
four eighty sparky Silver Member
21st Apr 2011
Robman3
21st Apr 2011
21st Apr 2011
21st Apr 2011
Mr Moose Silver Member
21st Apr 2011
ReadnFool
24th Apr 2011
24th Apr 2011

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Wed 20-Apr-11 07:06 PM
1757 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Sandisk Class 4 SDXC card for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 20-Apr-11 07:06 PM by Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US

If it's doing the job then stick with it.

As you allude to HDR, that has a minimum architecture of class 6, for constant available through put.

Rob

abuhannibal Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Apr 2011Wed 20-Apr-11 07:08 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Sandisk Class 4 SDXC card for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 1

teaneck, US

Thanks - I don't have the camera yet so have to rely on the experience of others...

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Wed 20-Apr-11 07:51 PM
1757 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Sandisk Class 4 SDXC card for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 20-Apr-11 08:03 PM by Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US

I have some class fours, once I find them, I'll take a burst and let you know.

I put in a class four card, took several shots, three on, over, under and it did OK. I also have it saving both NEF and JPEG, used a single slot.

Not rocket fast but did the job.

HTH's

Rob

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Wed 20-Apr-11 08:09 PM
1452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Sandisk Class 4 SDXC card for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>
>As you allude to HDR, that has a minimum architecture of class
>6, for constant available through put.

Huh? What does the card have to do with HDR?

abuhannibal Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Apr 2011Thu 21-Apr-11 02:54 AM
#5. "RE: Sandisk Class 4 SDXC card for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 4

teaneck, US

Thanks to everyone - I assume that what Robman3 meant was that the card needs to be able to write at a certain minimum speed to keep the buffer from filling even when doing just 3 bracketed exposures. (IOW it's not intrinsically related to HDR but rather to burst writes.)

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Thu 21-Apr-11 03:06 AM
1452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Sandisk Class 4 SDXC card for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>Thanks to everyone - I assume that what Robman3 meant was
>that the card needs to be able to write at a certain minimum
>speed to keep the buffer from filling even when doing just 3
>bracketed exposures. (IOW it's not intrinsically related to
>HDR but rather to burst writes.)

If you shoot Raw + Jpeg Large/fine, you'll probably fill the 10-shot buffer anyway if you merrily click off shot after shot. But I don't see the need to take >10 shots for a single HDR, though.

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Thu 21-Apr-11 06:24 AM
#7. "RE: Sandisk Class 4 SDXC card for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 4

West of Santa Monica, US

The minimum write speed for Video codec in this camera (h.264/MPEG4) requires at least a class 6 card, page 319 0f the manual:

"...class 6 or faster write speeds are recommended for movie recording. Recording may end unexpectedly when cards with slower write speeds are used."

HTH's,

Rob

abuhannibal Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Apr 2011Thu 21-Apr-11 12:12 PM
#8. "RE: Sandisk Class 4 SDXC card for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 7

teaneck, US

Rob,

Thanks, yeah, I saw that. I basically have no interest in video but I am leaning towards springing for faster cards anyway at this point...

abuhannibal Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Apr 2011Thu 21-Apr-11 04:15 PM
#9. "RE: Sandisk Class 4 SDXC card for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 8

teaneck, US

Decided to go with some 32gb Sandisk Class 10's... thanks to everyone who replied!

Mr Moose Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2011Thu 21-Apr-11 08:25 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Sandisk Class 4 SDXC card for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 9
Thu 21-Apr-11 08:27 PM by Mr Moose

US

The D7000 is one of the first DSLR's that can take advantage of the latest SDHC UHS-speed class1 cards. The Sandisk Extreme pro line are the fastest out there at the moment. I just picked up a 32 Gb card for $135.00

ReadnFool Registered since 16th Jan 2011Sun 24-Apr-11 02:34 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Sandisk Class 4 SDXC card for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Looks like the poster made up his mind, but I didn't see the basic question answered simply.

The D7000 has a built in buffer. That buffer can hold different numbers of frames depending on camera settings. This buffer is even faster than the fastest XD card. Until that buffer fills up you are taking pictures at full speed.

Only after that buffer fills up and the camera has to wait for the data to move to the memory card does card speed become critical.

For HDR and Bracketing even a slow card should be fine since the buffer will hold plenty for those purposes (10 frames at 14 bit lossless raw) and empty in a few seconds.

If you are shooting video you need at least class 6 to keep from losing frames. I don't know if going higher would provide any benefit for video.

Where card speed becomes most critical is continous high speed shooting where after the buffer fills the card limits the FPS of the camera. I know with the Sandisk Extreme 30 mb/s cards in medium fine JPEG my camera doesn't choke noticably. And at even higher quality settings I get several seconds before choking.

There is a whole thread made sticky in the D7000 group that is updated with all sorts of information about camera settings and shooting speeds.

Steve
ReadnFool

abuhannibal Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Apr 2011Sun 24-Apr-11 02:41 PM
#12. "RE: Sandisk Class 4 SDXC card for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 11

teaneck, US

Readnfool,

Thanks - yes, I did eventually get that figured out, but you're right, that was kinda the whole crux of my question. Anyway I ended up figuring that I might as well go with faster cards if only b/c I might at some point change my mind about wanting to get serious about video...still not sure if there was any real point in springing for Sandisk Class 10's over Lexar, which are significantly cheaper, but maybe I'll also get a Lexar or two and compare.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

-- Bob

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8569 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.