Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8533
View in linear mode

Subject: "Is D7K picture quality noticably better than the D90" Previous topic | Next topic
RSchussel Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2008Tue 19-Apr-11 12:27 AM
414 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Is D7K picture quality noticably better than the D90"

Vallejo, US

My question is whether people can see an improvement in image sharpness,color etc with the D7000.

I am trying to decide whether it is worth while to upgrade to the D7000 from the D90.

I only shot stills and not interested in Video.I use the pro F2.8 Nikon zooms. I realise there are other advantages to the D7000 like the backup card,higher ISO and better battery life but they are not critical to me.

thanks
Bob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Is D7K picture quality noticably better than the D9...
redbike
19th Apr 2011
JPJ Silver Member
19th Apr 2011
adcam Gold Member
19th Apr 2011
browntdb Silver Member
19th Apr 2011
adcam Gold Member
19th Apr 2011
Reply message RE: Is D7K picture quality noticeably better than the D...
Len Shepherd Gold Member
19th Apr 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
19th Apr 2011
osfield Silver Member
20th Apr 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
21st Apr 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
21st Apr 2011
osfield Silver Member
21st Apr 2011
mholka
19th Apr 2011

redbike Registered since 22nd Aug 2010Tue 19-Apr-11 12:36 AM
76 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Is D7K picture quality noticably better than the D90"
In response to Reply # 0

Edmonton, CA

It was a noticeable change for me. Its a more challenging camera to shoot than the D90 and, right now, my percentage of "keepers" is a lot lower, but when I do my part, the difference is very noticeable. Would be for you too, I'd wager, shooting the fast glass.

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Tue 19-Apr-11 01:19 AM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Is D7K picture quality noticably better than the D90"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

>My question is whether people can see an improvement in image
>sharpness,color etc with the D7000.
>
>I am trying to decide whether it is worth while to upgrade to
>the D7000 from the D90.
>
>I only shot stills and not interested in Video.I use the pro
>F2.8 Nikon zooms. I realise there are other advantages to the
>D7000 like the backup card,higher ISO and better battery life
>but they are not critical to me.
>
>thanks
>Bob

At base ISO (100 on the d7k) there is an improvement in tone and dynamic range. Depending on the amount of fine detail in the image, if treated properly, there is a subtle sharpness advantage.

Really, for me, in terms of image quality it is the ISO advantage. The d7k retains detail and controls noise much better than the d90 from ISO 800 on. If you don't ever shoot above ISO 400 than the reason to upgrade from a d90 to d7k dissipates rapidly, if you are just basing it on image quality.

I upgraded for the ISO advantage and was pleasantly surprised by the numerous other features that the d90 didn't have (the AF system, mirror-up, battery life). If it wasn't for the noticeable ISO advantage then not sure whether I would have made the jump or waited.

Jason

adcam Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2007Tue 19-Apr-11 04:29 AM
585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Is D7K picture quality noticably better than the D90"
In response to Reply # 0

Portland, US

I saw a huge difference in my low light shots. Without flash, taking indoor pictures, my d90 shots tend to be a little warm. I got better color rendition and got shots in low light situations where the D90 would have failed.

browntdb Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2009Tue 19-Apr-11 05:49 AM
224 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Is D7K picture quality noticably better than the D90"
In response to Reply # 3

Corvallis, US

I have the D90 and have been wrestling with the same questions regarding the D7000. From the threads I have read, you must pay much closer attention to your technique to get good shots as mentioned by one of the people earlier in the thread. I was very much attracted to the higher ISO capability, but with the D7000 I tested locally, I found a bit of noise even at ISO 800, but still better than the D90.

Instead of buying the D7000. I bought a used Nikkor 17-55 F 2.8 pro lens, and the image quality over the 18-105 or 18-200 is very noticible. I get extremely sharp pictures now with no need to really stress on the camera technique.

I am sure you would be happy with the D7000. I just decided to pay $800 for a used 17-55 Nikkor lens and I am really pleased with it. for now, I will keep the D90, but at some point I may buy the D7000 and put my 17-55mm lens on it and pass on my D90 and the 18-105 kit lens to my siginifcant other.

Good Luck,

Terry

adcam Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2007Tue 19-Apr-11 03:24 PM
585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Is D7K picture quality noticably better than the D90"
In response to Reply # 4

Portland, US

That is exactly what I did--- I gave my D90 with 18-105 to my niece as a "graduation" present and kept the D7000 with 17-55.

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Tue 19-Apr-11 06:36 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Is D7K picture quality noticeably better than the D90"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 20-Apr-11 02:41 PM by Len Shepherd

Yorkshire, GB

>My question is whether people can see an improvement in image sharpness,color etc with the D7000.
That depends on what you mean by an improvement.
The D90, handled competently, out resolves the resolution of the human in a 20 inch wide print. 6 MP does as well - at a comfortable viewing distance.
In terms of sharpness in isolation with close visual inspection 24-25 inch print wide looks similar to 20 inches wide from 12 MP.
I can get similar results to a 500 f4 (which I cannot afford) with the 200-400 at 400 and a slight crop compared to the D300s.
Any colour gain is marginal between 200 & 8000 ISO.
Edit - I guess most recognized the typo - it should be 200 to 800 ISO
The main point about the D7000 is more than the extra resolution in isolation.
Base 100 ISO, better noise at high ISO's, much better AF system (compared to D90), better battery life, ability to get the speed increase from the fastest SD cards and best Nikon video yet are some of the other extras that come with a D7000.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 19-Apr-11 03:04 PM
3145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Is D7K picture quality noticeably better than the D90"
In response to Reply # 5

Monterey Bay, US

Yes if

The default settings are not as sharp, so you will have to adjust them.

The higher resolution shows user error bettor,
so you will probably have to improve your shooting technique.

There are a lot more & newer controls that you will have to master.

It took me a month to show really great results with the D7000.
Others take more or less.
After 3 months everything pretty much has become automatic for me.

osfield Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Sep 2008Wed 20-Apr-11 11:40 PM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Is D7K picture quality noticeably better than the D90"
In response to Reply # 6

Glenrowan, AU

So what kind of tinkling with the default settings do you suggest? I keep switching different focus settings from 39 point to single point focus etc.. and not too happy with results. If I am taking a bird sitting in tree for example - i assume single focus best but not all that happy with result. That is shooting 640 ISO shutter speed 1000 70-300mm lens at 5.6. Then if taking general scene - not sure what kind of focus settings to use. Suggestions?

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Thu 21-Apr-11 02:29 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Is D7K picture quality noticeably better than the D90"
In response to Reply # 9

Joanna, US

Hi Jan,

Try AF-S (default is focus priority) with single-point spot AF. Although you may appear to have focus on the bird the branches may be what the AF focuses on because of the contrast. You could experiment by increasing your f stop as the 5.6 will probably give you a narrow DOF. Also, if you don't give the VR time to settle in you may get camera movement which will make your subject out of focus. For me, unless the main subject is obvious, the 39 point cause the AF with VR to search.

Try a larger subject with the above and see if your results are better. If so, then you know you can get better with the little birds so long as your technique and settings are right. If you don't get a sharp image on the larger subject then perhaps you have some issue with the lens, camera or technique.

Pages 91 - 98 in the manual covers AF with page 93 telling when AF does not perform well. Good luck.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 21-Apr-11 03:28 AM
3145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Is D7K picture quality noticeably better than the D90"
In response to Reply # 9

Monterey Bay, US

>So what kind of tinkling with the default settings do you
>suggest? I keep switching different focus settings from 39
>point to single point focus etc.. and not too happy with
>results. If I am taking a bird sitting in tree for example - i
>assume single focus best but not all that happy with result.
>That is shooting 640 ISO shutter speed 1000 70-300mm lens at
>5.6. Then if taking general scene - not sure what kind of
>focus settings to use. Suggestions?

Actually took me a month to dial in all the settings because the higher resolution was showing my user errors more better.
I am now weened from the TriPod-MonoPod and all my settings except increased sharpening and 15% increase speed are the same as my D3.
I use single center spot most of the time and turn my VR off.

osfield Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Sep 2008Thu 21-Apr-11 03:49 AM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Is D7K picture quality noticeably better than the D90"
In response to Reply # 11

Glenrowan, AU

Thanks for that advice. I always use single spot focus on my D700 but read somewhere in suggested settings for D700 that the AF 39 better. What in camera sharpening do you use with the D7K? And do you keep it on AF-S?
Thanks.
Jan

mholka Registered since 04th Jan 2011Tue 19-Apr-11 08:07 PM
410 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Is D7K picture quality noticably better than the D90"
In response to Reply # 0

Brownstown Twp, US

In low light (High ISO) performance - absolutely. There is also a slight improvement in the overall image quality as compared to my D90.

Shoot, shoot and shoot some more!

--Martin
www.ExclusivePhotoWorks.com
Nikon Body's
D800e, D300s, D7000, D90, D80, F100

Lenses:
18 - 200 F3.5-5.6 VRII, 70-200 F2.8 VR II,
18 - 105 F3.5-5.6 VR, 18 - 135 F3.5-5.6,
35 - 70 F2.8, 50 F1.4, 70 - 300 F4-4.5,
Sigma 150-500 F5-6.3

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8533 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.