Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8492
View in linear mode

Subject: "Back up for D7000...what would you do?" Previous topic | Next topic
billgreen Registered since 14th Oct 2010Sun 17-Apr-11 10:40 PM
388 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Back up for D7000...what would you do?"
Sun 17-Apr-11 10:43 PM by billgreen

US

Trip to Costa Rica in June. I have a D7000 and want to have some sort of back-up. I really need to keep the cost UNDER $500. Do I:

Buy a compact (P7000, G12)?
Buy a used entry level DSLR (D3000, D5000)?
Rent a D7000 body for the trip (about $250)?

Bill

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Back up for D7000...what would you do?
liquidamber
18th Apr 2011
kajphotos
21st Apr 2011
phil321
18th Apr 2011
billD80 Silver Member
18th Apr 2011
sabbey51 Silver Member
18th Apr 2011
jadiniz
19th Apr 2011
Floridian Silver Member
19th Apr 2011
Coldfront Silver Member
19th Apr 2011
Murseeker
19th Apr 2011
mcpianoca
20th Apr 2011
bgphotobug
20th Apr 2011
blw Moderator
20th Apr 2011
richardd300 Silver Member
21st Apr 2011
billgreen
25th Apr 2011
JohnE Nikon Silver Member
25th Apr 2011

liquidamber Registered since 14th Jan 2008Mon 18-Apr-11 12:24 AM
59 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Back up for D7000...what would you do?"
In response to Reply # 0

Indianapolis, US

Consider a water-proof P&S. I have an Olympus 790 that I'm rather fond of, but there are several others out there (just not Nikons.

Nice having something you can just drop in your pocket on a whim, take instead of your DSLR in case of rain or use to get some great snorkeling shots. I've generated many 8x10 prints out of this camera that look as nice as any work I've done w/ my D70, D90 & now D7K.

Plus it's nice to be able to have something you can offer to a friend/companion/etc. to use w/o worry of giving them something they might not have the 'know how' to use (i.e. your DSLR).

Todd

kajphotos Registered since 02nd Apr 2011Thu 21-Apr-11 12:10 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Back up for D7000...what would you do?"
In response to Reply # 1

yonkers, US

>Consider a water-proof P&S. I have an Olympus 790 that
>I'm rather fond of, but there are several others out there
>(just not Nikons.
>
>Nice having something you can just drop in your pocket on a
>whim, take instead of your DSLR in case of rain or use to get
>some great snorkeling shots. I've generated many 8x10 prints
>out of this camera that look as nice as any work I've done w/
>my D70, D90 & now D7K.
>
>Plus it's nice to be able to have something you can offer to a
>friend/companion/etc. to use w/o worry of giving them
>something they might not have the 'know how' to use (i.e. your
>DSLR).
>
>Todd

He said it right ...the Olympus warter proof PS is a wonderful camera has a ton of features and it shock res and warter proof and depending on the model you get they also do HD video now ..

My god bless you and your camera

phil321 Registered since 16th Feb 2009Mon 18-Apr-11 02:24 AM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Back up for D7000...what would you do?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I've got a G11 that I've used as a backup for a year or so now. Great camera. I've been tempted by the p7000, but cant do it. The G11 has treated me well.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 18-Apr-11 12:29 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Back up for D7000...what would you do?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>Trip to Costa Rica in June. I have a D7000 and want to have
>some sort of back-up. I really need to keep the cost UNDER
>$500. Do I:
>
>Buy a compact (P7000, G12)?
>Buy a used entry level DSLR (D3000, D5000)?
>Rent a D7000 body for the trip (about $250)?
>

If you REALLY want a back-up, then renting a D7000, or other Nikon DSLR makes great sense.

I took a long trip in eastern europe, relying on the D200's toughness, thus feeling a little better that it was my only camera. I'd do the same with the D7000.

But, for $250. the rental option offeres 100% compatibility and no loss of quality.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

sabbey51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jan 2010Mon 18-Apr-11 12:44 PM
541 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Back up for D7000...what would you do?"
In response to Reply # 3

Saddle river, US

I use my S90 (currently the S95). It takes great pics, offers full control, fits in my pocket.

The chance of the D7000 failing is small to begin with, and you'll be happy to have a truly pocket-sized camera long after the trip is over.

Smaller than the G11/G12, same IQ.

jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010Tue 19-Apr-11 12:26 AM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Back up for D7000...what would you do?"
In response to Reply # 4

Estoril, PT

A used D90 might be a good option. Lots of commonality (controls and quality) with the D7000, a great place to hold another lens (normal zoom in one, tele zoom in another).

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Tue 19-Apr-11 01:55 AM
2712 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Back up for D7000...what would you do?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

I'd get a compact camera. Camera failures do happen, but it's so unlikely that you don't really need a backup. But, just in case...

Sometimes you don't want to carry a DSLR, though, and in that case a compact would not only be a backup, but a camera you could take with you when a DSLR would be too conspicuous or cumbersome.

Randy

Coldfront Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2004Tue 19-Apr-11 05:58 PM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: Back up for D7000...what would you do?"
In response to Reply # 6

Marengo, US

You might consider a good used nikon DSLR. For the price of renting I'll bet you can get a decent used body. jim

Coldfront

Murseeker Registered since 21st Dec 2010Tue 19-Apr-11 10:06 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Back up for D7000...what would you do?"
In response to Reply # 0

Breitenbach, CH

My suggestion would be to go for the smallest possible high quality compact. In my opinion this is currently the S95. Once you are used to it you will learn that it will serve for much more than just being the backup. Specifically while travelling you will be in situations where the big fat DSLR is not the appropriate tool. Think about this as well when you decide how to cover your requirements.

mcpianoca Registered since 05th Jan 2011Wed 20-Apr-11 01:05 AM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Back up for D7000...what would you do?"
In response to Reply # 0

Sherbrooke, CA

If it was me, I'd just get a second hand D90 body and tag it along. You could also use a different lens on the D90 to save lens swapping time.

bgphotobug Registered since 23rd Feb 2007Wed 20-Apr-11 03:09 AM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Back up for D7000...what would you do?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I just returned from Costa Rica two weeks ago. I was on an eco-tour. Hence, most of the images were of wildlife or landscapes shot from a moving bus. I took my D7000 and two lenses - 18-200 Nikor and 70-300 Nikor. The 18-200 was the more useful and versatile of the two. Unless today's point-and-shoot cameras have improved dramatically, I think they would not be of much use because of the shutter lag. The used DSLR vs rental options would depend on the actual costs. However, the D7000 is a reliable camera and should be trouble-free, assuming you're given it a decent shake down before your trip. The second camera might be more trouble than it's worth. That's an individual decision, of course.

I was gone for 8 days. Took a freshly charged battery and a spare, no recharger. I never needed the second battery. I shot about 500 images, which used about 2/3 of the first battery.

Be prepared for rain and high humidity, especially near the Caribbean coast. Going in and out of air conditioning will cause condensation on your equipment. I brought a plastic bag large enough to cover the camera and lens. When not needed, the bag easily fit in my pocket without taking up much space.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 20-Apr-11 11:25 AM
26573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#11. "RE: Back up for D7000...what would you do?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I think this really comes down to your true motivations, and what you might do after this trip.

If you really are concerned about literally a backup, meaning a camera that you'd leave in the bag (and possibly even at the hotel) unless your D7000 fails, I'd advise something that is nominally equivalent but perhaps not to the same spec, meaning a DSLR. You have all HSM/AFS lenses so you have a wide choice, from the inexpensive D50/D70/D100 at around $250 all the way to a D5000 that just barely squeaks under your $500 limit. A P&S, even a good one, doesn't make your lenses useful, and isn't really a nominal equivalent. Yes, it takes pictures too, probably good ones, but they aren't the same pictures and certainly not with the same techniques. Thus I wouldn't call it a backup.

Not entirely falling into the category of a backup, but a D200 body also fits your price criteria, and is probably closest overall to your D7000 in capability.

Since you are considering renting, the following probably does not apply, but it's worth mentioning.

Some folks don't use a backup, they use a second body. This is particularly useful in harsh conditions where changing lenses is not as automatic as usual, and also when one might simply want to have more lenses readily available. In this case you would probably want something with controls as similar as reasonable to your main camera, and in this situation that probably means a D5000, unless a D200 is a closer fit. (Not knowing much about the controls on a D7000, I really don't know which is better suited.)

---

The reason to buy a compact is really to obtain different capability than you already have. The waterproof was a great suggestion in this vein. And I'm not sure how you will approach this trip. If it's an extended photo opportunity, then the DSLRs are probably what you want. If it's really a vacation, with some photo ops mixed in, then I think it will be hard to keep the DSLRs and the rest of the gear jangling around all the time. A good P&S is a LOT handier to have around and also a lot more flexible than a camera phone.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 21-Apr-11 08:27 PM
3322 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Back up for D7000...what would you do?"
In response to Reply # 11

Dyserth, GB

I have both a D700 and D7000, but when I am out and about even walking my dog I carry a Nikon P6000. This, IMHO, is a truly remarkable camera and as it's now out of production can be picked up at a reasonable price second hand. Simply put, there are times when I've used the p6000 and I have wondered whether I should use it in preference to my dSLR where perhaps a dSLR maybe overkill.

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

billgreen Registered since 14th Oct 2010Mon 25-Apr-11 01:34 PM
388 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Back up for D7000...what would you do?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Thanks to everyone for your insightful input. Lots of great points put forth here. I made my decision and went with a P7000. There were a couple factors that tipped the scales in favor of the P7000. I decided the idea of a smaller compact was the way to go. The P7000 fits that bill plus it provides NEF which keeps my PP work flow intact. Also, I was fortunate and found a used (but like new) one for sale by a fellow Nikonian for a great price. It was a no-brainer for me.

Thanks again to all who responded.
Bill

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Mon 25-Apr-11 04:11 PM
916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Back up for D7000...what would you do?"
In response to Reply # 14
Mon 25-Apr-11 07:38 PM by briantilley

New HArtford, US

I have heard great things about this camera. If you get a chance please post how it worked out for you.

I went to Cost Rica for a family vacation a few months ago. I carried my D5000 everywhere, zipline's, white water rafting etc.
I found it to be no big deal. Just try and keep it dry. I used plastic bag for condensation and a towel over it in the rain. Since my D7000 purchase I have invested in a Storm Jacket and always use it in the rain or snow. It's very compact and provides nice protection. Have fun.

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8492 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.