Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #840
View in linear mode

Subject: "How Do You Know...??" Previous topic | Next topic
tsixtial Registered since 21st Sep 2010Sat 16-Oct-10 04:59 AM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How Do You Know...??"

US

How do you know if you are shooting RAW or Jpeg?

I think I did the correct setup but I am not sure. When I use Nikon Capture it states the files extensions as .JPG...... Sorry for sounding like a new noob but this is my first SLR .

So if someone with a D7000 or similiar camera can walk me through the setup so i know i did it right that would be great.

thank you.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 16-Oct-10 05:43 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How Do You Know...??"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

If the camera is a D7000 than Capture can't recognize RAW files yet. An new patched version will be available soon that can read RAW. In the meantime, Capture NX2 can be used to read JPG images from the camera. ViewNX which came with the camera on the CD does read RAW D7000 files however.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Tue 19-Oct-10 04:46 AM
327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How Do You Know...??"
In response to Reply # 0

Warsaw, US

If your using Capture NX2 and you see a .jpg file, you either have the camera set to jpg or raw+jpg. A raw file will show up as a folder icon in CNX2 because it can't read the file until Nikon releases an update.
Look in the lower left corner of the control panel (the top LCD screen) it should show RAW, JPEG, RAW+Fine or whatever you have it set to.
If you use View NX2 from the included CD you should be able to edit RAW files.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Tue 19-Oct-10 08:32 PM
896 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How Do You Know...??"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Unless I'm missing something obvious, I would think the quickest way to check what format(s) you are shooting is to turn the camera on and look at the top control panel. The box in the lower left portion of the panel is devoted to showing image format and size settings. If you see "RAW" displayed in the box, you are shooting RAW. If you don't see it, you are shooting JPEG. If you see "RAW+" and either "FINE, NORM, or BASIC," you are shooting both RAW and JPEG.

Good luck with the new camera. I'm envious.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 19-Oct-10 08:47 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: How Do You Know...??"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

You should be able to see this setting in the camera, using Windows Explorer when looking at the media card, or in the Exif data MakerNote for the ImageQuality in either Jpeg or Nef. The ImageQuality will show the in camera setting, but you may need a 3rd party program to read that tag.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #840 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.