Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8393
View in linear mode

Subject: "SD card confusion, what is the fastest card out there?" Previous topic | Next topic
Mr Moose Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2011Fri 15-Apr-11 04:43 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SD card confusion, what is the fastest card out there?"

US

The first cards I bought for my new D7000 were Sandisk extreme pro 16 Gb back in January. Now I want to get a 32 GB card to backup slot 1.
Doing a search brings up so much info, its hard to sort it all out, but the best that I can tell, the Sandisk extreme pro cards are currently the fastest.
Is this correct?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SD card confusion, what is the fastest card out the...
four eighty sparky Silver Member
15th Apr 2011
Mr Moose Silver Member
15th Apr 2011
15th Apr 2011
PerroneFord Silver Member
15th Apr 2011
15th Apr 2011
Mr Moose Silver Member
15th Apr 2011
15th Apr 2011
BillboTex
17th Apr 2011
CHP_VR Silver Member
15th Apr 2011
wkramer
15th Apr 2011
DeanAZ Moderator
16th Apr 2011
16th Apr 2011
Robman3
16th Apr 2011
SaurianFire
16th Apr 2011
Robman3
16th Apr 2011

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Fri 15-Apr-11 05:03 PM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SD card confusion, what is the fastest card out there?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

"Fastest", or "most memory"?

Fastest is Class 10. Most memory I've seen is 64gig.

Personally, I use 16g Class 6. Never had a problem.

Mr Moose Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2011Fri 15-Apr-11 05:23 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SD card confusion, what is the fastest card out there?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

If class 10 is the fastest, then what does this mean?

SDHC - UHS Speed Class 1

>"Fastest", or "most memory"?
>
>Fastest is Class 10. Most memory I've seen is 64gig.
>
>Personally, I use 16g Class 6. Never had a problem.

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Fri 15-Apr-11 06:20 PM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SD card confusion, what is the fastest card out there?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

UHS is Ultra High Speed..... Full higher potential of recording real-time broadcasts and capturing large-size HD videos.

UHS cards are beyond the capacity of the D7k. Stick with SDHC.

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011Fri 15-Apr-11 06:28 PM
2509 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SD card confusion, what is the fastest card out there?"
In response to Reply # 3

Tallahassee, US

Um, actually the literature for the D7K makes special note that it is the first DSLR that can actually take advantage of the new UHS interface. I use Extreme Pro's and can tell they are NOTICEABLY faster than my class 10 cards.

>
>
>UHS is Ultra High Speed..... Full higher potential of
>recording real-time broadcasts and capturing large-size HD
>videos.
>
>UHS cards are beyond the capacity of the D7k. Stick with
>SDHC.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Fri 15-Apr-11 06:41 PM
#5. "RE: SD card confusion, what is the fastest card out there?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

My manual only mentions that the D7k 'supports' UHS cards. SDHC and SDXC cards are specifically listed, but not UHS.

You also may be limited by the internal camera buffer. If the camera's innards can only push out data at a certain speed, a card that exceeds that speed would be a waste of money.

Mr Moose Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2011Fri 15-Apr-11 06:43 PM
#6. "RE: SD card confusion, what is the fastest card out there?"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri 15-Apr-11 07:56 PM by Mr Moose

US

I finely found the info I was looking for, check out this link.

http://glamourphotography.co/gear/did-a-little-memory-speed-test-with-some-sdhc-memory-cards-including-sandisk-extreme-pro-class-10-45mbsec/

Yes, the Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS- Speed-class 1 SD card is the fastest out there, and it works with the D7000.
I found the 32 GB card shipped for $135.00, best price I could find.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LB5B3A

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011Fri 15-Apr-11 07:58 PM
2509 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: SD card confusion, what is the fastest card out there?"
In response to Reply # 6

Tallahassee, US

Yep, I bought one 16GB, saw how much faster it was than my Class 10s, and ordered a couple more. I shoot RAW to it in slot 1, and JPG to my other cards in slot 2 for client review.

Still not as fast as CompactFlash, but getting better...

>Yes, the Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS- Speed-class 1 SD card is the
>fastest out there, and it works with the D7000.
>I found the 32 GB card shipped for $135.00, best price I could
>find.
>
>http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LB5B3A

------

BillboTex Registered since 23rd Nov 2010Sun 17-Apr-11 12:34 PM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: SD card confusion, what is the fastest card out there?"
In response to Reply # 4

Houston, US

I am also seeing a prominent improvement with my cards. Raw in #1, and backup & video on #2.

MY SETUP
Nikon D7000 with zoomNIKKOR AF-S DX 10-24mm f3.5,
Tamron AF 18-270mm Macro f3.5 Di II VC LD
and Tamron AF 180mm f/3.5 Di SP A/M FEC LD (IF) 1:1 Macro
Nikon R1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System,
ZacutoEVF Pro
Two SanDisk 32GB EXTREME PRO SDHC-UHS-1 (45MB/S)
viewNX2 captureNX2 NIKCompleteCollection Ultimate
Photo Mechanic 4.6.6 Annotate Pro
Vegas Movio Studio 10 Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 14

CHP_VR Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Feb 2011Fri 15-Apr-11 07:32 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: SD card confusion, what is the fastest card out there?"
In response to Reply # 3

Newport Beach, US

>
>
>UHS is Ultra High Speed..... Full higher potential of
>recording real-time broadcasts and capturing large-size HD
>videos.
>
>UHS cards are beyond the capacity of the D7k. Stick with
>SDHC.

I can say the D7000 does indeed support UHC.
I use SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHC-1 in mine.
As Perrone noted, they seem to be noticeably faster then my class 10s.
BTW, you can mix UHC-1 with the class 10 in the D7000 as well.
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Flash-Memory-SDSDXP1-016G-Black/dp/B004JJN262/ref=pd_cp_e_0

wkramer Registered since 03rd Dec 2010Fri 15-Apr-11 10:54 PM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: SD card confusion, what is the fastest card out there?"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Washington/New York, US

Best price is now http://cgi.ebay.com/Sandisk-Extreme-PRO-SDHC-32GB-45MBS-Memory-Card-/290548468646?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item43a609cba6 $132 shipped.

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Sat 16-Apr-11 01:07 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: SD card confusion, what is the fastest card out there?"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

I have several memory cards and the only mystery in mind is why are the SanDisk cards so much faster that the other brands. All Class 10 cards are not created equal. Yes, other Class 10 cards will work and are able to write HD video and keep up with the camera (definition of Class 10) but the D7000 can empty its full buffer in a fraction of the time using a SanDisk card.

For example a Transcend Class 10 16Gb card took 23 seconds while a SanDisk Extreme III took only 9 seconds and the new SanDisk Extreme Pro took 7 seconds to accept the full buffer of images. (see the thread pinned in this forum for more details.) http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=4469&mesg_id=4469&page=

As to compatibility the new UHS-1 cards are backwards compatible down to even my D40. So even if your camera doesn't need all the speed that the card possesses when you pull out the card and pop it into a card reader to transfer to you computer the extra speed will definitely be noticed. But I do notice the extra speed when the buffer is filled and the time to the shot is reduced when using a faster card even in my D40.

So I plan to keep the Transcend in slot 2 and write any video to that location and also set it for oveflow as I typically shoot raw only.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011Sat 16-Apr-11 04:36 AM
#11. "RE: SD card confusion, what is the fastest card out there?"
In response to Reply # 10

Tallahassee, US

Yep,

Since I shoot sports, and shoot RAW, that minuscule buffer needs to clear ASAP. And whatever lets me do that fastest is the card I want. It's a real shocker watching how fast the D2H and D2X empty their large buffers compared to this MUCH newer D7000. To be fair, they are writing smaller files, but I have a 25 frame RAW buffer to get cleared.

------

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Sat 16-Apr-11 04:39 PM
1760 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: SD card confusion, what is the fastest card out there?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 16-Apr-11 04:47 PM by Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US

The architecture of the new SDXC UH1 Cards have an increased speed, these potentially will be engineered for sheer footprint real estate to compete with CF but, CF Cards can transfer up to 600 speed, twice that of pending SDXC cards and as this marketing war continues, the CF size, possibly will maintain an even greater advantage as increased capacity micro circuitry can be crammed into a larger case so to speak. (IMO)

Links: http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20026965-264.html and http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20025567-264.html?tag=mncol;txt

These newer cards are designed for Video, where constant bit-rates, digital signal etc. (if that's the correct term) need to be uninterrupted because of the nature of live recording.

"by increasing storage capacity from more than 32 GB up to 2 TB. Its exFAT file system handles large volumes of data. The specification for increasing bus interface, "UHS-I," with speeds up to 104 MB per second and a road map to 300 MB per second, and UHS Speed Class are available for SDXC cards and host devices. SDXC's extended capacity will provide more portable storage and speed, which are often required to support new features in consumer electronic devices, mobile devices and industrial devices."

Link: http://www.sdcard.org/developers/tech/sdxc

"As a characteristic of flash memory, actual transfer speed varies. Variable speeds are difficult to reliably record streaming content such as video because it requires a constant writing speed. Speed Class and UHS Speed Class provide the constant speed necessary for video recording by designating a minimum writing performance so that minimum and constant speed is guaranteed for camcorders, video recorders and other devices with video recording capabilities under the conditional write operation specified in the specification."

other links for SD are: http://www.sdcard.org/developers/tech/speed_class and http://www.sdcard.org/developers/tech/

The SDXC cards are indeed compatible with the D7K, (page 319) 0f the manual.

HTH's

Rob

SaurianFire Registered since 11th Feb 2011Sat 16-Apr-11 09:32 PM
145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: SD card confusion, what is the fastest card out there?"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Seems like there is still some confusion. UHS-1 is a new class speed for both SDHC and the new Large memory size SDXC.

If you note most of the new speed UHS-1 cards available now are SDHC.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-8GB-Extreme-Pro-SDSDXP1-008G-X46/dp/B004JJU6I4/ref=sr_1_17?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1296259536&sr=1-17

The new SDXC cards are stillusing the old speed rating.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Speed-Class-Memory-RP-SDW64GE1K/dp/B003EEUURW/ref=sr_1_16?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1302989303&sr=1-16

http://www.lexar.com/products/lexar-professional-133x-sdxc-card

Respectfully,
Frank

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Sat 16-Apr-11 10:45 PM
1760 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: SD card confusion, what is the fastest card out there?"
In response to Reply # 13
Sat 16-Apr-11 10:45 PM by Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US

I'm still playing catch up, the articles from the SD association were to inform.

Last time I priced the XC's (before the end of the year) they were about the same as a used 35mm prime lens at K & H.

Something like this: "The 64 GB and 48 GB SDXC Memory Cards, along with other Panasonic GOLD line Memory Cards, provide longer lifetime, thanks to the adoption of Panasonic’s newly-developed Super Intelligent Controller, which evolves the current Super Intelligent Controller used in the Silver line Memory Cards. With the new Super Intelligent Controller, flash memories are automatically refreshed with error corrections, thus preventing data damages and providing longer lifetime....The new SDXC Memory Cards include a new technology designed to minimize accidental corruption caused by a power interruption, such as the Memory Card being removed while data is being transferred. Panasonic’s SDXC Memory Card robustness is reliable even under severe temperature condition from -13°F to 185°F**. For more information, please visit www.panasonic.com/CES2010."

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prModelDetail?storeId=11301&catalogId=13251&itemId=389511&modelNo=Content01052010041118461&surfModel=Content01052010041118461

That's a bit rich for my budget right now, but is the proving ground for what may be on the horizon.

When Sandisk was having a rebate on the Extreme cards through the holidays, and there were no replacements shipped, that should have told me something.

Time marches on.

Rob

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8393 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.