Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #839
View in linear mode

Subject: "ISO Performance of my D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
savagetom Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jul 2007Sat 16-Oct-10 04:15 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"ISO Performance of my D7000"

Beijing, CN

I, too, was able to get one at BestBuy this afternoon. I've been playing around with it and doing some direct comparisons to my D60.

I'd say that the ISO performance is about 1 to 1.5 stops better on a straight noise basis. But the way I see the images, the overall performance is 2 or 3 stops better because of much better contrast and saturation at the higher ISO values. When you down sample a D7000 jpg to the same pixel size as the D60 in Capture NX2, the difference is striking.

The other thing I noticed is that the auto white balance is MUCH better. I'm messing around in the living room under those goofy compact fluorescent and incandescent bulbs.

I haven't posted any images because I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the two cameras are doing with respect to in-camera processing of the jpgs. It looks like I can turn off hi ISO noise reduction in the D7000. Not sure about the D60. I think they are both doing some sharpening, also. I can't open the D7000 raw files in Capture NX2, yet. I hope they have an update soon. I downloaded View NX2 but it keeps crashing on me.

I think folks will be happy with the camera when they get to use it.

Tom Savage
Newburgh, IN

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: ISO Performance of my D7000
km6xz Moderator
16th Oct 2010
Biker Bill Gold Member
17th Oct 2010
wallenjs Silver Member
22nd Oct 2010
hpcphoto
17th Oct 2010
MEMcD Moderator
19th Oct 2010

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 16-Oct-10 05:26 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: ISO Performance of my D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Congratulations Tom on the getting it so quickly.
From the samples posted yesterday by early buyers on DPR and side by side comparisons with the same settings as a D700 at 6400 and 12k I have no doubt the noise performance sets a new bar height for DX. My main question is AF performance. The only comments so far has been "it seems to be about the same as the D700" if true great, but it would be nice to see real examples of tracking fast changing movement. Anything around your environment that would be a good test that you could judge by?
Thanks

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Biker Bill Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2009Sun 17-Oct-10 07:28 PM
929 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: ISO Performance of my D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

Good luck with the D7000 Tom. Have you tried your Sigma lens on it yet? I saw one thread that said the camera will not even turn on with non-nikon lens on it. I have one preordered but need to be able to use the non-nikon lens I use on my D80. I hope I have not been waiting in vain. Do I need to cancel my order before it ships?

Bill

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

wallenjs Silver Member Awarded for his high level artistry and technical skill for various photographic subjects and positive contributions to the forums Nikonian since 12th Jan 2009Fri 22-Oct-10 11:23 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: ISO Performance of my D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Bill - the only none Nikon lens I have right now is a Tokina 11-16. It works fine on my D7000

Joel

> I have one preordered but need to be able to use the non-nikon lens I use on my D80. I hope I have not been waiting in vain. Do I
>need to cancel my order before it ships?
>
>Bill

hpcphoto Registered since 13th Nov 2009Sun 17-Oct-10 07:45 PM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: ISO Performance of my D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

How is the video?
Ed

Check out my website

www.hpcphoto.com !

Or my stock site:

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_search.php?action=file&membername=hpcphoto

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 19-Oct-10 08:18 PM
25585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: ISO Performance of my D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Tom,

Congratulations on your new D7000!
Thanks for the report.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #839 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.