Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8388
View in linear mode

Subject: "d7000 for indoor H/S basketball games" Previous topic | Next topic
firebrand Registered since 14th Apr 2011Fri 15-Apr-11 03:21 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"d7000 for indoor H/S basketball games"

US

I own a d80 and a 70-200mm v/r Nikon lens that I purchased for sports. I shoot both basketball H/S games and outdoor softball games. I am pretty happy with my results for softball, but unless I am shooting at f2.8 for indoor basketball games for the most part the images are blurred because if I crank my iso up past 320 to 400 images have a lot of grain in them and of course I can only get about about 1/200th for my shutter speed. I am wanting to upgrade my camera to the d7000 to use with my 70-200 lens. Would this be a great combination for indoor sports? I have read many reviews on this camera and it sound like you can get some really nice shots with this camera up 3200 iso and possibly even to 6400. Keep in mind I shoot in some gyms that have pretty dim lights. Has anyone used this camera for indoor sports and have you been pleased with your images. I have also thought of buying a Nikon 85-1/8 to go with the camera. I also looked at the d700 but I don't want to spend that kind of cash right now. So I want to buy the d7000 but not if it will not perform in low light and fast action with the two lenses I suggested. Will this camera perform? or is there any other lens that would work great with this camera that would not cost me an arm and a leg. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: d7000 for indoor H/S basketball games
dm1dave Administrator
15th Apr 2011
firebrand
15th Apr 2011
firebrand
16th Apr 2011
Bob Chadwick Silver Member
15th Apr 2011
billD80 Silver Member
15th Apr 2011
firebrand
15th Apr 2011
DeanAZ Moderator
16th Apr 2011
firebrand
16th Apr 2011
kevin4617
16th Apr 2011
firebrand
16th Apr 2011
kuzzy Silver Member
16th Apr 2011
firebrand
16th Apr 2011
four eighty sparky Silver Member
16th Apr 2011
firebrand
16th Apr 2011
ReadnFool
18th Apr 2011
firebrand
18th Apr 2011

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 15-Apr-11 04:08 PM
11064 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: d7000 for indoor H/S basketball games"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Welcome to Nikonians Mark!

The D7000 should easily outperform your D80 in both high ISO (low light shooting) and AF performance. The only other option for better low light performance is the D700 or D3s.

The D7000 will work fine with both of the lenses that you plan to use.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Underwater | Online Assignments| Best of 2014

firebrand Registered since 14th Apr 2011Fri 15-Apr-11 08:51 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: d7000 for indoor H/S basketball games"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks Dave for the input. I am leaning pretty heavy at this time towards the 7k. I looked at some of the pics that were taken from the links below, they seem to have a lot of noise. I have seen some other images from other sites and those pics didn't appear to have nearly as much noise at 3200 and 6400 iso. I know glass is everything. Thanks again, Mark
P.S this site is filled with a wealth of wisdom and knowledge. Glad to be on board.

firebrand Registered since 14th Apr 2011Sat 16-Apr-11 01:29 PM
#12. "RE: d7000 for indoor H/S basketball games"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Dave,
I took a look at your website and I just wanted you to know I just loved your images. The pics you have with the eagles are very impressive. Great work. Mark

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Fri 15-Apr-11 04:11 PM
1976 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: d7000 for indoor H/S basketball games"
In response to Reply # 0

Norcross, US

Several people shoot low light sports with that camera. Keith (kwb49) posts some very good pictures in the sports forum of this site. After some initial getting used to the camera, he posts that he is very happy with it. Take a look at some of his posts and pictures. Here's a link to one of his basketball posts.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 15-Apr-11 04:16 PM
2119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: d7000 for indoor H/S basketball games"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Will this camera perform?

Here are two from a gymnasium setting...

150mm ISO3200

50mm ISO6400

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

firebrand Registered since 14th Apr 2011Fri 15-Apr-11 08:59 PM
#5. "RE: d7000 for indoor H/S basketball games"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks to everyone for your help and also for the links so I could take a look at some of the pictures. I truly am thankful for your help and quick response. Mark

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Sat 16-Apr-11 01:33 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: d7000 for indoor H/S basketball games"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 16-Apr-11 01:36 AM by DeanAZ

Phoenix, US

Welcome to Nikonians, Mark! I really appreciate the D7000 for the kind of lighting conditions you are planning on shooting. My 11 year old is playing volleyball right now and I get kind of a ring side seat along the side by the net so my 35mm works great. I have room to crop and can get some fairly good shutter speeds to freeze the action. Here are some samples from last weekend.

There is noise present but it can be easily tamed.

D7000 F/2 1/1250s ISO 1250 Nikkor AF-S 35mm F/1.8G AF-C 3D Tracking

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

firebrand Registered since 14th Apr 2011Sat 16-Apr-11 11:43 AM
#9. "RE: d7000 for indoor H/S basketball games"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Good morning Dean, It is great to see the different shots people have taken with this camera and also which lens they are using. Your pics look great. Looks like the gym you shoot in is a lot like the one's I have to deal with. I had bought my d80 and Nikon 7-200 lens for sports and was very unhappy. Looking forward to d7000 upgrade. Thanks again.
Mark

kevin4617 Registered since 07th Apr 2009Sat 16-Apr-11 03:59 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: d7000 for indoor H/S basketball games"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 16-Apr-11 04:02 AM by kevin4617

Loveland, US

The first real use of my new D7000 was shooting my nephew's high school basketball game. I used the 70-300 VR lens I bought with the D7000 and we had excellent results. My wife shot about 50 frames, my sister about 50, and I shot 200. All of us got consistently good results with the camera set in Sports Scene mode. (I only had the camera for a couple days, and was not up to speed on all it can do, so I used Sports Scene mode). I had to dial up the ISO to 1600 because the gym was not real bright. We shot in CH mode and the focus tracked the players really well, from well up in the bleachers.

Gotta say, the D7000 and VR lens enabled 3 of us, who really had not tried to shoot a basketball game, to shoot like pros. Out of 200 some images, I only had maybe 20 that were obvious throwaways.

My previous camera was a D70. I took thousands of photos with it, and I can say, the D7000 is far superior. Of course, it is 7 years newer.

I think you will get great results too.

firebrand Registered since 14th Apr 2011Sat 16-Apr-11 11:33 AM
#8. "RE: d7000 for indoor H/S basketball games"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Hey Kevin, Theses are some of the things I have been trying to find out. I find it very interesting that the sports mode will do the job also. If you could post some of your pics I would love to see them. Thank you for the info, the more I hear about this camera the more excited I get. Hope to get mine soon. Mark

kuzzy Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Sat 16-Apr-11 12:48 PM
1235 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: d7000 for indoor H/S basketball games"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 16-Apr-11 12:56 PM by kuzzy

Milford, US

Hello Mark and welcome aboard. Here is a link to a thread I posted with hoops shots with the D7000 at 3200 and 6400 ISO. I also use the 85mm F1.8 indoors but find it a little long for basketball on the DX camera. The high ISO capabilities and indoor hoops is exactly why I bought the camera. I also considered the D700 which no doubt has better IQ at high ISO but at twice the price is a much different investment. I think you would be most pleased with the results.

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=167&topic_id=37438&prev_page=show_topic&gid=37438#37452

Marc
There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.-Ansel Adams

http://500px.com/WhatISaw
http://kuzzy.smugmug.com

firebrand Registered since 14th Apr 2011Sat 16-Apr-11 02:07 PM
#13. "RE: d7000 for indoor H/S basketball games"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Marc,
The more images I see taken with this camera the more convinced I am that this is the way for me to go. You got some great shots. Thanks for posting them. This website does (ROCK) everyone is so helpful, it is just a pleasure to be part of. Good luck with your 7k sounds like you are very happy with it.
thanks again, Mark

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Sat 16-Apr-11 01:11 PM
1394 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: d7000 for indoor H/S basketball games"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Keep in mind that's it not the fact that you're shooting a fast-moving object in a gym setting that determines whether the image will be acceptable.... it's all about the lighting.

Basketball played in a modern, well-lit facility will most likely turn out excellent photos. Basketball played in an aged facility, where the lighting is dated and not well maintained, is a different story. You might end up pushing your ISO so high in order to get a decent shutter speed that it end up being an exercise in futility.

A room full of ancient mercury vapor or fluorescent lighting (designed by the facility's janitor back in 1953) operating with 75% of the lamps functioning pales in comparison to a sparkling new one (designed by a certified lighting professional) with boatloads of T5 or metal halide lighting.

firebrand Registered since 14th Apr 2011Sat 16-Apr-11 02:18 PM
#14. "RE: d7000 for indoor H/S basketball games"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Hey Ken,
I know exactly what your saying. I would say about 20% to 30% of the gyms I have been to through out the years have had that kind of lighting and can be just a nightmare to shoot in. I have had many days of frustration trying to get good photos in these types of settings.
Not many keepers at all. So I completely agree with you. Thanks for the info. Mark

ReadnFool Registered since 16th Jan 2011Mon 18-Apr-11 01:13 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: d7000 for indoor H/S basketball games"
In response to Reply # 0

US

As you bump the ISO grain will increase, but as the previously posted photos show not too horribly.

If you want to improve the image quality even more consider investing a little extra money in a software solution. If you already have photoshop there are several very high quality 3rd party plug ins that deal with noise. If not there are also some stand alone programs.

Depends on your comfort level with post processing.

Steve
ReadnFool

firebrand Registered since 14th Apr 2011Mon 18-Apr-11 01:47 PM
#16. "RE: d7000 for indoor H/S basketball games"
In response to Reply # 15

US

Thanks Steve, I do have Photoshop Elements 9. I am very comfortable with post processing. What would you recommend for a stand alone software for noise. Also is there a plugin for elements 9 that would work good. If you have any information I would be interested to hear.
Thanks again for your imput. Mark

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8388 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.