Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8270
View in linear mode

Subject: "Geo-tagging options for D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Mon 11-Apr-11 09:40 PM
710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Geo-tagging options for D7000"

San Francisco, US

OK, I'm planning for a 3+ week trip to Europe in May/June. I want to geotag my photos. I posted about using my iPhone, but decided to investigate other options. The best straightforward option seems to be a unit made by a German company Columbus, the nGPS. The two downsides seems to be a lousy connector cable and that it sits in the hot shoe. (I often use fill flash outdoors.) It's reasonable in price and has a number of pluses, if Amazon reviewers are credible - fast satellite acquisition, direct addition of GPS info. to the metadata, and an on/off switch so it stays on and ready if the camera is turned off. I'm thinking or ordering, but also waiting to hear from the company that makes the Blue tooth connector to the iPhone. Does anyone have an suggestions for other products to look at to accomplish what I want. I'm looking for economy and simplicity but also reliability.

dgs

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Geo-tagging options for D7000
frazier Silver Member
12th Apr 2011
frazier Silver Member
12th Apr 2011
dgs2
12th Apr 2011
          Reply message RE: Geo-tagging options for D7000 - Update
dgs2
13th Apr 2011
frazier Silver Member
13th Apr 2011
BillboTex
13th Apr 2011
dgs2
13th Apr 2011
frazier Silver Member
13th Apr 2011
dgs2
13th Apr 2011
frazier Silver Member
13th Apr 2011
Bob Chadwick Silver Member
13th Apr 2011
dgs2
13th Apr 2011
frazier Silver Member
13th Apr 2011
BillboTex
13th Apr 2011
bdgriff
16th Apr 2011
dgs2
16th Apr 2011
bdgriff
16th Apr 2011
                                   Reply message RE: EyeFi Geo-tagging options for D7000
RRRoger Silver Member
13th May 2011
rdudley Silver Member
17th Apr 2011
dgs2
17th Apr 2011

frazier Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jul 2004Tue 12-Apr-11 01:41 PM
61 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Geo-tagging options for D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Ames, US

I have found the Foolography (www.foolography.com) products useful and reliable. The module (quite small) plugs into the camera port. It is a receiver, not a gps device per se. It works with pretty much any gps device that will transmit NMEA data via bluetooth. It even works with MKS devices which generally have a problem with Nikon cameras due to a standards squabble. You don't use the shoe, the gps device (with blue teeth) sits in your pocket, no dangling cable.

One downside is that you can't get directional info, just lat, long, alt. This, of course, is because the orientation of the actual gps device is not tied to the camera.

There are other similar gadgets, but I've found that the German made Foolography product is the best designed of those I've played with. By the way, one advantage of being able to use MKS chipset gps units is that they seem to have quicker start up and satellite lock than the SiRF units. The direct connect gadgets (e.g., Columbus, Solmeta, Shenzhen,...) generally are SiRF based.

Hope this helps.
Bill

frazier Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jul 2004Tue 12-Apr-11 01:54 PM
61 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Geo-tagging options for D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

Ames, US

BTW, Foolography will sell just their module or there is the option of a module already paired with a bluetooth gps unit. I already had the gps device, but pairing is easy. I will mention that, unlike other similar units, the pairing is specific, not promiscuous. Hence, your module is not confused by the gps unit in the pocket of the person next to you.

My gps unit is a Holux M-1000C, which is the same as one of the choices listed for pre-paired devices. It has long battery life and recharges via a USB charger. The battery is removable and is a commonly used cell phone battery. Extras and stand alone chargers are readily available.

Bill

dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Tue 12-Apr-11 07:52 PM
710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Geo-tagging options for D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

San Francisco, US

Thanks for all the detailed information. I was attracted to this unit because of its small size and happy to know it works well. If I order one, I may post a question or two.

dgs

dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Wed 13-Apr-11 12:19 AM
#4. "RE: Geo-tagging options for D7000 - Update"
In response to Reply # 3

San Francisco, US

I found an iPhone App that I'm testing. It seems well-designed and works for NEF (RAW) files. It's called Geotag Photos Pro. So far so good. You synchronize the time on your phone to the time on your camera (important). Then hit run on the app. You can select various location sampling frequencies: continuous or minutes or even hours. You can also record a location at any time manually by pushing the green pin. The tradeoff is between location sampling frequency and battery life. So you walk around with the app running in the background of the phone and take your pictures. The phone must be linked to the Geotag Photo website and when you are finshed recording you upload the "trip" to their website. Then when you have access to a computer you log on to the website and their software automatically enters the GPS data into the photos. The good news is that instead of paying over $100 for a dongle, it's $4.00 for the app. The key thing now that I have to test out is how it affects the battery life of the phone.

dgs

frazier Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jul 2004Wed 13-Apr-11 01:00 PM
#5. "RE: Geo-tagging options for D7000 - Update"
In response to Reply # 4

Ames, US

I would note that, if you want to go the post-processing route, any gps track recording unit that can produce an exportable track file can be used. There are any number of for fee and free software products that will process your photos and track files to produce the required EXIF data. In most cases, you don't even need to sync the clocks; you just need to know the offset. You might consider these products if the battery impact on the phone is excessive. Not all will handle RAW files, but some will.

In my own lazy experience, I got tired of the post processing step and changed solely to direct record.

Bill

BillboTex Registered since 23rd Nov 2010Wed 13-Apr-11 01:36 PM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Geo-tagging options for D7000 - Update"
In response to Reply # 5

Houston, US

I am also looking for the best solution, any advice will be greatly appreciated. I need a system that does not use my hot-shoe, but so far I have been unable to find anything which will also allow my D7k accessory door to be secure, and not just hanging loose, and open.

The Foolography looks like a quality system, but would leave my accessory door just hanging out in the breeze, and I can just see it getting knocked off?

TIA for any help.

MY SETUP
Nikon D7000 with zoomNIKKOR AF-S DX 10-24mm f3.5,
Tamron AF 18-270mm Macro f3.5 Di II VC LD
and Tamron AF 180mm f/3.5 Di SP A/M FEC LD (IF) 1:1 Macro
Nikon R1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System,
ZacutoEVF Pro
Two SanDisk 32GB EXTREME PRO SDHC-UHS-1 (45MB/S)
viewNX2 captureNX2 NIKCompleteCollection Ultimate
Photo Mechanic 4.6.6 Annotate Pro
Vegas Movio Studio 10 Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 14

dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Wed 13-Apr-11 05:54 PM
#8. "RE: Geo-tagging options for D7000 - Update"
In response to Reply # 6

San Francisco, US

Hey Tex,
You've summarized my dilemma exactly. I don't like the idea of stuff hanging off the camera, doors hanging open, and plus I don't want to give up the hot shoe,either.
I guess that's an advantage of a "pro" body - these things plug in the front rather than the side. As far as I know, there is no good solution. Perhaps the next generation of bodies will have built-in GPS. Personally, I would rather have GPS than video.

dgs

frazier Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jul 2004Wed 13-Apr-11 05:55 PM
#9. "RE: Geo-tagging options for D7000 - Update"
In response to Reply # 6

Ames, US

Unfortunately, if you want real-time recording of the geo data, the accessory door is going to be open (or removed), or you're going to have to modify the camera. All of Nikon's current production DSLRs accept gps input and I believe all of them have some sort of cover over the port. Even if you use one of the cabled units, the accessory door will be open because the cable goes in the same socket the Foolography unit does.

By the way, all of the cable attached units I am aware of can be hung on a strap instead of stuck on the shoe. In fact, I think most come with a clip for that purpose. I still find them awkward.

Post processing, as noted previously, is an option. I really think that about exhausts the choices.

Bill

dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Wed 13-Apr-11 05:49 PM
#7. "RE: Geo-tagging options for D7000 - Update"
In response to Reply # 5

San Francisco, US

Thanks Bill for the suggestion. The Geotagging software also accomodates an "offset", but I didn't mention it. So technically, clock-synching is not required.

I have a Garmin device I use for bike riding and other athletic endeavors. It records a GPS track but have not idea how I would integrate it. I normally upload my rides via Garmin software. Do you happen to the the type of file that would work? I know the battery works for multi-hour bike rides and it keeps locked on the satellites very well. It's small and if I could adapt it to phototagging it might be the way to go.

Final question: What device did you choose to direct record?

dgs

frazier Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jul 2004Wed 13-Apr-11 06:16 PM
#10. "RE: Geo-tagging options for D7000 - Update"
In response to Reply # 7

Ames, US

Well, one piece of software I've used is HoudahGeo. (Did I mention that I use a Modern Age Computer? I know there is similar software for Primitive Computers, but I'm not familiar with it. ) At any rate, the Houdah product lists Garmin as one of the types of devices it supports. As I recall, other software mentions Garmin as well.

For direct record, are you referring to what I use with my Foolography unit? That's a Holux M-1000C. Or are you referring to a track record for post-processing? If so, it has been long enough since I did that I can't recall. I have a bunch of these toys that I've played with over the years.

BTW, you referred earlier to pro bodies with front connectors. The D3s still has a little door that is left open when things are connected. Earlier models (e.g., D200) had a stupid little screw on cap which was specifically designed to be lost.

Bill

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Wed 13-Apr-11 07:12 PM
2028 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Geo-tagging options for D7000 - Update"
In response to Reply # 10

Norcross, US

EasyGPS takes the tracklog directly from my Garmin ETrex Venture HC. You then need a program that can merge the track log with the pictures. I use Jeffrey’s “GPS-Support” Geoencoding Plugin for Lightroom to do this in LR3.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Wed 13-Apr-11 08:57 PM
#12. "RE: Geo-tagging options for D7000 - Update"
In response to Reply # 10

San Francisco, US

I'm referring to using the Garmin in place of the iPhone as a track record for post processing. NOT the Foolography unit.

Unfortunately, I don't have a D3s. I have the earlier model D200, and assumed that newer models were similar. My mistake. I do agree that the screw cap was a bad idea.

Thanks for your suggestions on the software, I'll check it out.

dgs

frazier Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jul 2004Wed 13-Apr-11 10:15 PM
#13. "RE: Geo-tagging options for D7000 - Update"
In response to Reply # 12

Ames, US

No problem. I think a lot of the tracking gadgets record tracks in the same way -- just a series of point records. As I recall, some units have a problem in that they strip timestamp info if the track log is saved. (Ancient concern about saving space?) At any rate, whatever is used has to have time and date data.

Is your Garmin unit eqiped with a USB interface? If you can connect it to your computer, several of the programs I've used will recognize certain gps loggers and suck the data right out of them.

If you are using a Mac, other possible programs are GPSPhotolinker (free), Photolinker (same author but for fee), and JetPhotoStudio (for fee). None of these are what I'd call expensive. As the other gentleman mentioned, there are options for Adobe products and, as I recall, Aperture can do something. Don't recall what. The last two are, of course, EXPENSIVE and expensive respectively.

Bill

BillboTex Registered since 23rd Nov 2010Wed 13-Apr-11 11:26 PM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Geo-tagging options for D7000 - Update"
In response to Reply # 7

Houston, US

dgs, I know none of the Garmin Nuvi series will work (call to Foolography). The Nuvies have wireless bluetooth, but the wrong type to send the info to the Foolography sensor.

bdgriff Registered since 13th May 2010Sat 16-Apr-11 05:51 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Geo-tagging options for D7000 - Update"
In response to Reply # 14

San Antonio, US

What about using the Eye-FI SD cards? You can purchase geotagging after buying the card, and I believe a "Wireles" card is coming out this week. I've used the X2 and puchased geotagging via the website. It's not perfect, but does the job ok.

dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Sat 16-Apr-11 09:03 PM
#16. "RE: Geo-tagging options for D7000 - Update"
In response to Reply # 15

San Francisco, US

Could you provide more information? I thought you had to be in a WiFi zone to have this work. Is that NOT the case?

dgs

bdgriff Registered since 13th May 2010Sat 16-Apr-11 09:21 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Geo-tagging options for D7000 - Update"
In response to Reply # 16
Sat 16-Apr-11 09:22 PM by bdgriff

San Antonio, US

>Could you provide more information? I thought you had to be
>in a WiFi zone to have this work. Is that NOT the case?

Well, I'm not exactly sure how it works, I think it's similar to GPS, but uses WI FI positioning...Here is the Ey-fi website about some of the geotagging, http://support.eye.fi/support-resources/troubleshooting/networking-geotagging/why-arent-my-photos-geotagging-or-at-the-right-location/
sorry I couldn't provide alot of info, but I've only had the card a few wks myself. If you like to have your pix on your iphone/ipad too, that new Mobile card sound pretty neat. Plus, it's a free firmware update for me...Good luck, let us know what you do plz...Robert

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 13-May-11 01:02 PM
3139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: EyeFi Geo-tagging options for D7000"
In response to Reply # 15

Monterey Bay, US

I have the new 8GB Eye-Fi Pro X2 SDHC card.
It usually GeoTags my photos.
I did not purchase anything else.
It will transfer to my computer thru wireless network, AD-Hoc directly to my LapTop and to the Internet thru access point.

rdudley Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2005Sun 17-Apr-11 02:06 PM
210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#18. "RE: Geo-tagging options for D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Etna, US

I assume that you are looking for a hardware solution that attaches to the camera?

If not you can use robogeo http://www.robogeo.com . Using a gps tracklog from any device that creates one that can be loaded into a computer.

Richard
Etna, New York, USA

http://earth01.net/RGDudley/
http://rdudley.smugmug.com/
My Nikonians Gallery

dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Sun 17-Apr-11 05:41 PM
#19. "RE: Geo-tagging options for D7000"
In response to Reply # 18

San Francisco, US

Thanks Richard,

I'm leaning toward a gps tracklog, since I have two devices which I think are capable of doing this. One is my iPhone, the other a Garmin Edge 305. Since I see from your smugmug page you are a biker(?), you may be familiar with the Garmin. It is designed for bikers and runners to record their workouts. I've used it for several years and it works great.

If you know if it works for geotagging photos, I'd appreciate a response. I also have an App for my iPhone that does the same thing. I've tested it and it works. The question there is how it affects battery life. I think I"ll end up using one or the other. Battery life on the Garmin is pretty good.

dgs

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8270 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.