Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8157
View in linear mode

Subject: "Pruple stripe on NEFs" Previous topic | Next topic
four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Sun 10-Apr-11 01:06 AM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Pruple stripe on NEFs"

US

I upgraded from a D60 a month ago, and love the D7k. Only one major hitch so far.... a purple stripe 35-36 pixels wide at the end of each image. It shows up not matter what program I use.

It's irritating as all git-out to have to manually edit this thin little strip from each image.

Is there something I'm missing?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Pruple stripe on NEFs
mholka
10th Apr 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
10th Apr 2011
four eighty sparky Silver Member
10th Apr 2011
Reply message RE: Purple stripe on NEFs
ericbowles Moderator
10th Apr 2011
Reply message RE: Purple stripe on NEFs
11th Apr 2011
wwt67 Silver Member
11th Apr 2011
11th Apr 2011
billD80 Silver Member
11th Apr 2011
Covey22 Moderator
11th Apr 2011
11th Apr 2011
Covey22 Moderator
11th Apr 2011
dm1dave Administrator
11th Apr 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
11th Apr 2011
billD80 Silver Member
11th Apr 2011
11th Apr 2011

mholka Registered since 04th Jan 2011Sun 10-Apr-11 03:41 AM
410 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Pruple stripe on NEFs"
In response to Reply # 0

Brownstown Twp, US

Contact Nikon. Mine does not do that. Sounds like a defect of some kind.

Shoot, shoot and shoot some more!

--Martin
www.ExclusivePhotoWorks.com
Nikon Body's
D800e, D300s, D7000, D90, D80, F100

Lenses:
18 - 200 F3.5-5.6 VRII, 70-200 F2.8 VR II,
18 - 105 F3.5-5.6 VR, 18 - 135 F3.5-5.6,
35 - 70 F2.8, 50 F1.4, 70 - 300 F4-4.5,
Sigma 150-500 F5-6.3

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 10-Apr-11 05:42 AM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Pruple stripe on NEFs"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Have you tried a different card?

Have you tried to reformat the card?

George
My Nikonian Galleries

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Sun 10-Apr-11 06:50 AM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Pruple stripe on NEFs"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>Have you tried a different card?
>
>Have you tried to reformat the card?

Yes. I have 13 cards, all reformatted on a regular basis. Purple stripe still persists.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 10-Apr-11 12:20 PM
8515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Purple stripe on NEFs"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I agree - it sounds like a defect. Contact Nikon and be prepared to provide them with a couple of sample images that have not been edited.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Mon 11-Apr-11 03:41 AM
#6. "RE: Purple stripe on NEFs"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Only on the NEF file. No matter what software I use to view it, it's there. On rare occasion, it's brown. And if I save it to another format, it goes along for the ride.

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Mon 11-Apr-11 03:20 AM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Pruple stripe on NEFs"
In response to Reply # 0

Warsaw, US

Does it show in RAW or jpeg format or both? What software are you using? If I open a RAW image in Paint Shop Pro I get the stripe on the right side.

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Mon 11-Apr-11 04:18 AM
#7. "RE: Pruple stripe on NEFs"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon 11-Apr-11 04:18 AM by four eighty sparky

US

It shows up in NEFs only. JPGs don't have it.

I use Raw Therapee, mostly.

Now for the weird part:

The camera manual states an image size of 4928 x 3264, which matches the JPGs I'm shooting. But the NEFs are 4983 x 3272..... slightly larger. The ratio is different, but even if I subtract the 35-36 pixels of the purple stripe, the ratio still doesn't match.

Shooting in either 12- or 14-bit makes no difference.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 11-Apr-11 12:59 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Pruple stripe on NEFs"
In response to Reply # 7

US

>It shows up in NEFs only. JPGs don't have it.
>
>I use Raw Therapee, mostly.
>

Try opening a RAW image in View NX2, that came with your camera, or can be downloaded for free...

I'll bet, and hope the stripe disappears. ONLY View NX2 and Capture NX2 can FULLY realize the data in NEFs. Your current software may not be able to read D7000 NEFs properly, and I'll bet that's the issue.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 11-Apr-11 01:43 PM
10575 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Pruple stripe on NEFs"
In response to Reply # 8

US

We have a winner! Bill's got it. The current list of supported camera models:

http://www.rawtherapee.com/?mitem=4&faqid=1

doesn't include the D7000. Also last post by the author was in January 2011. Check with him to see if an update is forthcoming, but the code freeze appears to still be in play, and the last stable version was before the D7K came out...

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Mon 11-Apr-11 03:44 PM
#10. "RE: Pruple stripe on NEFs"
In response to Reply # 8
Mon 11-Apr-11 03:45 PM by four eighty sparky

US

I had to dig the box out and see if NX2 was even in there. I rarely install OEM software since the general consensus is it's weak, user-unfriendly or lacking in ability.

I see NX2 is somewhat lacking in features. But Bill's right.... no purple stripe. Maybe I should pony up and jump onto the PS ship.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 11-Apr-11 04:20 PM
10575 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Pruple stripe on NEFs"
In response to Reply # 10
Mon 11-Apr-11 04:32 PM by Covey22

US

Capture NX 2 is a great tool, and I've lived the Capture lifecycle since V3 in the bad old days of the D1/D100. Nik is the best collaboration that has happened to the platform. For folks who haven't settled on a RAW workflow, NX 2 is not the worst way to go. YMMV...

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 11-Apr-11 04:41 PM
11299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Pruple stripe on NEFs"

Lowden, US

View NX 2 (the free program) is lacking in features but Capture NX 2 is quite powerful.

Lightroom is a great option if you want to jump on the Adobe bus.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Mon 11-Apr-11 05:13 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Pruple stripe on NEFs"

Joanna, US

NX2 doesn't have a lot of "bells and whistles" to it but it does a good job; especially when you consider it is free to Nikon users. I really haven't found it to be user-unfriendly but I've also read the instructions. Capture NX2 will do much more and will fully recognize all shots (especially great with NEF files); for me it does require lots of reading regarding some of its tools, controls and adjustments. Might not be able to put a talking bubble on the print but for me that's not important. Good luck with whatever you decide.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 11-Apr-11 11:10 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Pruple stripe on NEFs"
In response to Reply # 13

US

Keep in mind, as others have pointed out... ONLY View NX2 and Capture NX2 will full read NEFs...

So... use whatever you like, but I'd still make my initial conversion with the software that can fully realize the data in the files.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Mon 11-Apr-11 11:37 PM
#15. "RE: Pruple stripe on NEFs"
In response to Reply # 14

US

I guess I'll add Capture to my wish list.

Thanks to all who helped solve this!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8157 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.