Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8115
View in linear mode

Subject: "Another focus question re AE/AF lock" Previous topic | Next topic
JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Fri 08-Apr-11 10:21 PM
916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Another focus question re AE/AF lock"

New HArtford, US

I have been experimenting with moving focus around but after finally "mastering" (term used loosely) back button focus, I find it takes too much time to use the same thumb which moves focus bracket around to then use it for focusing and then index finger for engaging VR and shooting picture.

Do most shooters who move focus around as opposed to focus and recompose use back button focus or do they used standard shutter release for focusing?
I feel like after coming along way with back focus and improving my speed I am going backwards with focus selection. Should I just keep practicing and suck it up or go back to shutter release for focus?

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Another focus question re AE/AF lock
chris_platt Silver Member
08th Apr 2011
JohnE Nikon Silver Member
08th Apr 2011
igordb Silver Member
09th Apr 2011
chris_platt Silver Member
09th Apr 2011
kuzzy Silver Member
09th Apr 2011
09th Apr 2011
briantilley Moderator
09th Apr 2011
10th Apr 2011

chris_platt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Apr 2009Fri 08-Apr-11 10:26 PM
751 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Another focus question re AE/AF lock"
In response to Reply # 0

Newburg, US

I use the shutter release button for focusing. However, if you don't want to do that and find using the AE/AF Lock button awkward, you can reassign the FN button to perform that role and see if it works better for you.

Visit my gallery.

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Fri 08-Apr-11 10:30 PM
916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Another focus question re AE/AF lock"
In response to Reply # 1

New HArtford, US

Chris,
Thanks for the suggestion. My hand is not quite larger enough to move focus around while focusing with middle finger on function key.

JohnE Nikon

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

igordb Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2010Sat 09-Apr-11 01:43 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Another focus question re AE/AF lock"
In response to Reply # 2

CA

If you mean to have AF-ON reassigned to FN button, it does not work. If you go to #F3 menu, you will not see AF-ON function.
Igor

chris_platt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Apr 2009Sat 09-Apr-11 11:33 AM
751 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Another focus question re AE/AF lock"
In response to Reply # 3

Newburg, US

Right you are. Thanks.

Visit my gallery.

kuzzy Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Sat 09-Apr-11 12:45 PM
1250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Another focus question re AE/AF lock"
In response to Reply # 0

Milford, US

John, I use the standard shutter release so moving the focus point is not a problem and I do it quite a bit. I have yet to figure out the real advantage of using some other button for focus. Maybe because I always move the focus point and do very little recomposing of shots.

Marc
There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.-Ansel Adams

http://500px.com/WhatISaw
http://kuzzy.smugmug.com

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Sat 09-Apr-11 02:24 PM
#6. "RE: Another focus question re AE/AF lock"
In response to Reply # 5

New HArtford, US

>John, I use the standard shutter release so moving the focus
>point is not a problem and I do it quite a bit. I have yet to
>figure out the real advantage of using some other button for
>focus. Maybe because I always move the focus point and do
>very little recomposing of shots.

The advantage I see behind using back button is;
- you do not accidentally release shutter
- you don't have to switch between AF-S and AF-C modes as releasing finger essentially is like having an AF-S mode. This is very nice as your shooting work flow is the same with moving and stationary subjects.

The disadvantages I see are;

- you can't give your camera to anyone else to shoot a picture of yourself
- The focus assist light only comes on in AF-S mode
- The subject of my Post- I find it difficult to move focus point around and use same thumb for focusing
- It's easy to forget to half hold down shutter for 1/2sec to engage VR, if working with this kind of lens.

I just set camera back to focusing with shutter release button and have only shot a few real images <20.
Initially I am doing worse but I know this is me trying to get used to another new way of shooting. A few of my images were of moving subjects w AF-S on. I have to get used to quickly switching between AF-S and AF-C again.

This feels like playing a new video game every few weeks where the controls keep switching. Who knew there were so many different ways of taking a picture?

JohnE Nikon

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 09-Apr-11 02:57 PM
28728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Another focus question re AE/AF lock"
In response to Reply # 6

Paignton, GB

>This feels like playing a new video game every few weeks where
>the controls keep switching.

Except that this is under your control. I would advise picking one method of engaging AF, and then practice until it becomes second nature. It's more important to be familiar with your camera's control setup than it is to keep searching for a "better solution".

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Sun 10-Apr-11 05:19 PM
#8. "RE: Another focus question re AE/AF lock"
In response to Reply # 7

New HArtford, US

Brian,
Sound advice.
I am getting better with the various controls but none are quite as automatic as I would like.
So while it is still relatively easy to change my technique I just wanted to poll some of you, and then stick with one method and move on.

JohnE Nikon

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8115 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.