Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8015
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5100 HDR in D7000?" Previous topic | Next topic
DeepBlue Registered since 24th Aug 2002Thu 07-Apr-11 12:56 PM
254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 HDR in D7000?"

Tampa, US

I'm intrigued by the HDR function in the new D5100. Does anyone know if this function could be added to the D7000 in the future via a firmware upgrade?

Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike
Tampa, Florida

http://ChasingLightPhotography.com/
http://ChasingLightPhotography.com/blog

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Thu 07-Apr-11 02:42 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5100 HDR in D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Could it be added to the d7000 via firmware? Yes.

Will it? Highly unlikely. I say this because this feature is not really revolutionary from a technology point of view. If Nikon wanted it in the d7k they would have added it at the time, but they clearly figure that the d7k user (in their mind a more advanced user)would not be all that attracted to this feature. I suspect that Nikon put it in the d5100 because HDR has a lot of buzz, and the market for the d5100(relative beginners) would like to have a user friendly way of trying out HDR. More advanced users, would prefer to take the exposures and combine them in post processing so they can tweak their settings, and use Photomatix which tends to produce better results then Nikon's HDR Efex (which I assume is the basis for their in camera HDR).

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 07-Apr-11 02:55 PM
3136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5100 HDR in D7000 FirmWare upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 07-Apr-11 03:22 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

They should add 1080 Video at 30fps while they are at it.
I would also like to see the recording time increased and FullTime AutoFocus improved.

At 30fps 720 my camera does not even feel warm after 20 minutes
and I can instantly restart the recording
but I often miss that opportunity and leave a gap.
Perhaps that might require a buffer increase?

Maybe you would like to see other firmware possible enhancements too?

LuisGonzalezLT Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2005Fri 08-Apr-11 02:17 AM
868 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5100 HDR in D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Macedonia, US

I wasn't particularly impressed by the D5100 HDR samples. The radius they were applying on the effect seemed quite huge. I think it's ok to help basic snaphots and such, but I wouldn't personally use it for any of my HDR work.

On the other hand, if it was included in a future D7000 firmware update I might use it for basic snapshots . I am using a Fuji F500EXR for casual stuff which has a decent HDR system built-in, but that's only because of how the sensor in that P&S is designed.

Luis Gonzalez
Everlasting Photography, Inc.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8015 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.