Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8012
View in linear mode

Subject: "DIY Sensor Cleaning the D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
MBPierre Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2004Thu 07-Apr-11 08:30 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"DIY Sensor Cleaning the D7000"

Gold Coast, AU

I have only had my D7k since January and have taken very few images. However it seems that my sensor needs cleaning. Does anybody have a Step by Step Guide on how to clean the sensor on the D7K? I do have the sensor cleaning option turned on at start-up, and thought this would be the end of my sensor cleaning woes (my old D70 needed quite a few sensor cleans. The cost & inconvenience of having the sensor professionally cleaned in Australia seems prohibitive). I already own a Giotto Rocket blower and plan on using that first.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: DIY Sensor Cleaning the D7000
PAStime Silver Member
07th Apr 2011
MBPierre Silver Member
07th Apr 2011
beemerman2k Silver Member
07th Apr 2011
PAStime Silver Member
10th Apr 2011
MBPierre Silver Member
11th Apr 2011
rodsky77
10th Apr 2011
Reply message RE: In favour of a rocket blower
Len Shepherd Gold Member
11th Apr 2011
billD80 Silver Member
11th Apr 2011
MBPierre Silver Member
12th Apr 2011
jadiniz
12th Apr 2011
MBPierre Silver Member
12th Apr 2011

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Thu 07-Apr-11 11:44 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: DIY Sensor Cleaning the D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

This article is a good one:

http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm

Peter

MBPierre Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2004Thu 07-Apr-11 12:03 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: DIY Sensor Cleaning the D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

Gold Coast, AU

Thanks Peter
I had seen that article previously when I was wanting to clean my D70, but wasn't sure if was applicable to the D7K.

Regards

Peter

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Thu 07-Apr-11 01:40 PM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: DIY Sensor Cleaning the D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

Ellington, US

There's already a long and involved thread on this topic concerning the D7000. Page down a bit and you'll see it. For some reason, this camera's sensor seems to be a dust magnet as I have already had to clean mine twice in the 3 months I've owned it. My D70s was a lot more dust resistant than this.

In any case, I have come to embrace products from VisibleDust.com They work well for me, so they are well worth the investment.

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sun 10-Apr-11 04:46 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: DIY Sensor Cleaning the D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

Kingston, CA

>Thanks Peter
>I had seen that article previously when I was wanting to clean
>my D70, but wasn't sure if was applicable to the D7K.

I can't see why the article couldn't be applied to any DSLR of any brand. Good luck with the cleaning, Peter

MBPierre Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2004Mon 11-Apr-11 10:36 AM
#6. "RE: DIY Sensor Cleaning the D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

Gold Coast, AU

Thanks for the advice. I have tried the "Rocket" blower. Unfortunately it had no affect, so I'll have to try wet cleaning with sensor swabs.
(NB.Thom Hogan's book on the D7K also has sensor cleaning advice, similar to his often updated article on sensor cleaning)

rodsky77 Registered since 08th Jan 2008Sun 10-Apr-11 02:33 PM
345 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: DIY Sensor Cleaning the D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Definitely try the Rocket blower first - the large one - it has helped me out tremendously quite a few times. I've tried cleaning a sensor once, it is a very meticulous and difficult task, well, at least it was for me. Once you start doing the cleaning, you have to complete it, and the results may not be what you expect, if you don't do it just right.

>I have only had my D7k since January and have taken very few
>images. However it seems that my sensor needs cleaning. Does
>anybody have a Step by Step Guide on how to clean the sensor
>on the D7K? I do have the sensor cleaning option turned on at
>start-up, and thought this would be the end of my sensor
>cleaning woes (my old D70 needed quite a few sensor cleans.
>The cost & inconvenience of having the sensor
>professionally cleaned in Australia seems prohibitive). I
>already own a Giotto Rocket blower and plan on using that
>first.

New Jersey Nikonian

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Mon 11-Apr-11 10:59 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: In favour of a rocket blower"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

It is good for dust but not liquid marks on sensors.
It is also good for lens front and rear elements, camera mirrors and camera eyepieces.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 11-Apr-11 12:55 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: DIY Sensor Cleaning the D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>I have only had my D7k since January and have taken very few
>images. However it seems that my sensor needs cleaning.

How did you determine this?

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

MBPierre Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2004Tue 12-Apr-11 10:04 AM
#9. "RE: DIY Sensor Cleaning the D7000"
In response to Reply # 8

Gold Coast, AU

I had noticeable dust spots in some of my images so I followed Thom Hogan's advice and took a photo of a uniformly light subject (in my case a cloudless blue sky) at f22 and 100iso. The dust spots were very easy to see without any post processing.

jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010Tue 12-Apr-11 11:52 AM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: DIY Sensor Cleaning the D7000"
In response to Reply # 9

Estoril, PT

My own test for spots involves 100 ISO, smallest aperture I can dial, one meter away from a poorly lit white wall, at home. Focus for infinity, exposure time gives me around two seconds, and through this time I move the camera in circles, to make sure it is impossible for the slightest imperfection on the wall to print. Only dust will show, and very clearly.

Sometimes the rocket blower isn't enough to get the largest ones out, so I repeat until the major offenders have been blown away. Total time for the operation is less than ten minutes. The end result is still not perfect, but more than adequate to shoot real-world skies.

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

MBPierre Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2004Tue 12-Apr-11 12:01 PM
#11. "RE: DIY Sensor Cleaning the D7000"
In response to Reply # 10

Gold Coast, AU

I again tried the rocket Blower, this time coupled with a Nikon body cap with a 9mm hole in the middle. I placed a 10mm long rubber sleeve over the base of the shaft on the blower to prevent it getting too close to the sensor, then puffed the blower numerous times. This still wasn't a success , so I had to resort to wet cleaning. I now have a clean sensor, thanks to Eclipse Solution and Sensor Swabs. The whole process has given me more confidence to be able to clean my sensor whenever it is needed. Thanks again to fellow Nikonians for friendly, non judgmental help.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #8012 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.