Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7969
View in linear mode

Subject: "Re: D7000 soft?" Previous topic | Next topic
billgreen Registered since 14th Oct 2010Tue 05-Apr-11 11:10 PM
388 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Re: D7000 soft?"
Wed 06-Apr-11 10:24 AM by billgreen

US

I guess I'm left scratching my head over all the discussion about the D7000 and soft images. Last weekend I took this image of the flag on a windy day. While there is nothing outstanding about the image I did notice while processing that it is ultra sharp. It may be hard to appreciate at this size but at 1:1 (after being cropped by 33%) the stitching is clearly and sharply visible between the stripes. I used minimal capture sharpening and minimal processing. This image is anything but soft. So for those thinking about buying a D7K and are worried about it being soft, in my view there is simply nothing to fear.

D7000
Nikon 16-85 VR at 72mm
f7.1, 1/2500
PP: LR3, Nik Viveza 2

Bill

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

TakeTwo Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Wed 06-Apr-11 05:08 AM
214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Re: D7000 soft?"
In response to Reply # 0

South Lake Tahoe, US

Bill, It appears that your shutter speed tells the tale. I have noticed that the d7k can be used for static objects in any form you like, yet with moving objects or shooting free hand you need a faster shutter speed. Experiment with your 7000 to find out just how slow a shutter speed you can shoot and still achieve quality images. Don

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 06-Apr-11 05:21 AM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Re: D7000 soft?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>Bill, It appears that your shutter speed tells the tale. I
>have noticed that the d7k can be used for static objects in
>any form you like, yet with moving objects or shooting free
>hand you need a faster shutter speed. Experiment with your
>7000 to find out just how slow a shutter speed you can shoot
>and still achieve quality images. Don

Here's one, free-hand, at 1/15th...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 06-Apr-11 02:58 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Re: D7000 soft?"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 06-Apr-11 03:01 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

A starting point for shutter speed for hand held images with a DX sensor is 1 / (focal length * 1.5). This approach comes from the 35mm film cameras that used 1 / focal length of the lens.

The above also assumes good hand holding technique, breath control, and gently squeezing the shutter release.

After that as Len has mentioned DOF has a big impact. And sharpness with respect to DOF has a number of subjective decisions like the viewing distance and what one considers acceptable focus. One also has to be careful about the size of the aperture, as any f stop over about f/11 can add diffraction to the image. This diffraction arises from the small opening acting like a lens.

And then there can be issues caused by filters.

Some Exif reader used with lenses that register focused distance, one can even be provided with the DOF values for the image since the focal length, f stop, and focused distance are all recorded, and the CoC (Circle of Confusion) for the camera model is known.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Wed 06-Apr-11 08:54 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Re: D7000 soft?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

In response to reply 1 the OP was about how sharp the image was.
Sharp images are often at least as much about enough depth of field and a fast enough shutter speed as the sensor.
I would expect 72mm on DX at 1/2500 to be a good combination to show what a D7000 can do even with a moving flag - the OP confirms a very good result.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7969 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.