Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7940
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 sensor artifact/problem - help needed" Previous topic | Next topic
batury Registered since 05th Apr 2011Tue 05-Apr-11 01:59 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 sensor artifact/problem - help needed"
Tue 05-Apr-11 02:00 AM by batury

US

Greetings,
Would someone be so kind to point out what sort of problem am I seeing - artifact appearing as tiny bubbles. These came up after I tried to blow dirt off using a blower.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_b86QN1v6RdI/TZp3LZaA-gI/AAAAAAAAFCM/KTBqARIEQcs/s800/pr.jpg

Thanks in advance
Alex

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 sensor artifact/problem - help needed
elec164 Silver Member
05th Apr 2011
JPJ Silver Member
05th Apr 2011
batury
05th Apr 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
05th Apr 2011
kentak Silver Member
05th Apr 2011
batury
05th Apr 2011
kajphotos
05th Apr 2011
kuzzy Silver Member
06th Apr 2011
GerryL19
13th Jun 2011
jadiniz
13th Jun 2011
elec164 Silver Member
13th Jun 2011
GerryL19
14th Jun 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
17th Jun 2011
mholka
17th Jun 2011
km6xz Moderator
19th Jun 2011
mvlow1974
09th Dec 2012
SheriB Silver Member
09th Dec 2012
RockyIII Gold Member
09th Dec 2012
cosmicfires Silver Member
22nd Dec 2012

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Tue 05-Apr-11 02:14 AM
1966 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 sensor artifact/problem - help needed"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Those spots seem similar to the spots found on a sensor in this D700 post.

In that post it was determined to be some sort of lubrication oil or liquid spot.

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Tue 05-Apr-11 02:17 AM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 sensor artifact/problem - help needed"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Did you use compressed air? If so it is quite possible it expelled some of the propellent on to your sensor.

Compressed air and camera cleaning is a huge no-no.

Jason

batury Registered since 05th Apr 2011Tue 05-Apr-11 02:30 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 sensor artifact/problem - help needed"
In response to Reply # 2

US

thanks for the input
no, I used just a hand blower, but quite forcefully, and thus mirror grease must have gotten on...

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Tue 05-Apr-11 10:35 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 sensor artifact/problem - help needed"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

Your sensor would benefit from a professional clean.
You can do it yourself if you a confident about doing it - but the kit may cost as much as having it professionally cleaned once.
Digressing the inbuilt sensor cleaner normally removes dust very well. It can be set to clean the sensor each time you switch the camera on.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Tue 05-Apr-11 05:36 PM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 sensor artifact/problem - help needed"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Len, do you know--after a professional sensor cleaning, do they they take test pics and examine under magnification to ascertain that the cleaning was successful? I would assume that this would be a logical part of any "professional" cleaning. Just wondering if you or anyone else knew if this was SOP.

I have no dust/dirt issues, and I'm pretty confident of my ability to attempt a DIY if needed. Just wondering.

Kent

batury Registered since 05th Apr 2011Tue 05-Apr-11 09:32 PM
#6. "RE: D7000 sensor artifact/problem - help needed"
In response to Reply # 5

US

In your opinion, what is a fair price for sensor cleaning? A local store in Pittsburgh charges $125

kajphotos Registered since 02nd Apr 2011Tue 05-Apr-11 11:34 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 sensor artifact/problem - help needed"
In response to Reply # 6

yonkers, US

That had happened to me once .. I had bought a off brand blower and when I blew it inside my camera this powder shoot out all over my sensor .. The company that made the blower uses a talic on the rubber .. With out realizing that it will damage a camera in a hart beat ... But the more I tride to wet clean it the worse it got .. So I had it cleaned professional $60 later.. I learned my leson not to buy chep stuff . I had a choice gitzo blower $21 or off brand $12 .. I went with the $12 and paid for it .. Dearly

kuzzy Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Wed 06-Apr-11 12:33 AM
1250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 sensor artifact/problem - help needed"
In response to Reply # 6

Milford, US

I recently paid $75.00 for cleaning a sensor, hope that helps. And to answer another question I do not know how they checked it but I swear it was cleaner than when I got it from the factory.

Marc
There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.-Ansel Adams

http://500px.com/WhatISaw
http://kuzzy.smugmug.com

GerryL19 Registered since 10th Feb 2009Mon 13-Jun-11 08:20 PM
#9. "RE: D7000 sensor artifact/problem - help needed"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Hi everyone!
This is my first post; I thought I'd share my experience so that maybe it helps others. I've actually been lurking here on and off, reading the forums and classifieds. I finally signed up a week or so ago as I was researching another lens or two. Anyway, I bought a D7000 last fall. I've used it in the northeast since then, and a lot of use has been at work underground so no sky shots. I'm on vacation now, on Ocracoke Island (NC). I started taking a bunch of photos on the way driving south, and then more on the ferry. I was surprised to see a large grouping of spots on my photos, and I had no sensor cleaning materials with me. I actually had a bulb blower and a brush, which did nothing for it. Fortunately I had already read about the possible oil/grease problem, so I had a clue as to what to expect. I feel like a lot of these recently showed up; I hadn't noticed anything unusual on earlier photos. Perhaps the heat I am shooting in now allowed the grease/oil to thin out or be flung off more easily?
Supplies are not really available here on the island. I made the mistake of calling a local photographer here to ask about the availability of sensor cleaning supplies; I was told in no uncertain terms that I should *NEVER* attempt to clean my sensor as I will most likely destroy it and void my warranty. LOL, like I am going to put it away or send it out while I'm here for 10 days. At that point I decided to just order supplies online. So I have a next day order coming, which will probably take 2 or 3 days to the island...but at least I am here for 10 days so I'll still get some good shooting time in. Lesson learned; add some more to the kit. I've never had to do more than blow/sweep the sensor. I just hope this doesn't become a continual thing. If it does keep showing up I may have to consider sending it back for a degreasing.
I'll try to attach a photo. I wonder if everyone seeing this problem has a high concentration on the right side.
-Gerry

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010Mon 13-Jun-11 09:31 PM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7000 sensor artifact/problem - help needed"
In response to Reply # 9

Estoril, PT

Most definetely a problem if you shoot regularly with small apertures (high f numbers), as in landscape photography. My D7000 was quite similar to that condition, but using a good hand blower cleaned most of the stuff - not all.

My own testing for dust involves standing close to a white wall, selecting manual everything, closing the aperture as much as possible, focusing for infinity and using low ISO to make sure with an exposure time of around a couple of seconds the whites will be whites. No need for bright lights, just an indoor wall. Then, click the shutter and move the camera in circles during the exposure, to make absolutely sure the white wall is detail free and completely smooth. Then, import the pic to lightroom and adjust contrast curve to make the dots really stand out.

Kind like taking a long exposure landscape pic with lots of sky and seeing a huge amount of "birds"!

I've tried cleaning the sensor myself with a vacuum/wet/dry kit, but results weren't perfect, even after a couple of repetitions. The blower and five or six "system" sensor cleaning cycles got it to an acceptable degree (only a few spots to clean while processing a normal landscape pic).

This is quite annoying, since now I tend to limit myself to shallower DOF pics...

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Mon 13-Jun-11 11:48 PM
1966 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7000 sensor artifact/problem - help needed"
In response to Reply # 9

US

I believe I’ve had a similar experience to you. I acquired my D7000 back in November and noticed that at about 2600 clicks the sensor was really grungy. I tried a Rocket Blower to no avail. In fact it seemed to add more spots then it removed with some spots not budging at all. And the self-cleaning cycle had absolutely no effect.

I never did a wet cleaning but figured now’s a good time to try. And as previously mentioned, the cost of the supplies was about what it would cost to have the local brick and mortar do it. I bought Photographic Solutions Sensor Swab’s (12 in a pack) and Eclipse solution (2 fl oz). I consider myself a bit above average with mechanical ability, but find myself now age appropriately shaky. It took me two wipes to get the sensor relatively clean. But I believe it may have taken me two tries in that never having done it before I used a really light pressure the first time. After watching the video on Photographic Solutions web site again, I used a bit more pressure on the second swipe and only had three minor spots toward the edges that I felt I could live with till the next cleaning. If two swipes to clean the sensor holds I have enough supplies to do 6 cleanings for the price of having it done for me once.

This is a before cleaning test shot.

And this was after.

To sum up, it seems scary to do this if you never have done one, but after my first attempt I have more confidence and would not hesitate to do it again. If you have average mechanical ability, you should have no problem doing it yourself. Just go to Photographic Solutions site and watch their video a few times to build up your confidence. Just keep in mind that as you look into the mirror box the top right of the image will be on the bottom right of the sensor.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

GerryL19 Registered since 10th Feb 2009Tue 14-Jun-11 01:50 AM
#12. "RE: D7000 sensor artifact/problem - help needed"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Thanks for the input guys. Pete, that looks like a great improvement. I'm anxious to get the supplies in to clean it. I have no qualms about doing it. I've watched the videos, and have no worries at this point (except if it's getting shipped in a timely manner). I just bought a 10-24mm for some landscape work, and I want to get cracking. I guess it gives me a few mornings to sleep in though, so I can stay up late drinking beer and smoking cigars.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Fri 17-Jun-11 12:29 PM
4167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D7000 sensor artifact/problem - help needed"
In response to Reply # 12

Alberta, CA

> so I can stay up late
>drinking beer and smoking cigars.
>

My kind of photography trip

Anyhow thanks Jose, I always struggle to find a good target and enough light for the test photo and hadn't thought about the benefits of very long exposure combined with moving the camera around! (otherwise it can be a struggle to differentiate marks on the wall from sensor grime)

Pete, thanks for the confidence inspiring example. My local dealer cost is $70 so it looks worthwhile to build this expertise oneself.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

mholka Registered since 04th Jan 2011Fri 17-Jun-11 06:22 PM
410 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D7000 sensor artifact/problem - help needed"
In response to Reply # 0

Brownstown Twp, US

The D7000 seems prone to gathering "STUFF". I have had it cleaned 2 times now with something on the sensor that could not be blown of with a rocket blower. Wondering if it is lubricant or something.

I seem to have to clean it more often than i have ever had to do with my D80, D90 or D300s.

I say let a professional do it. The Certified Nikon Repair facility (conveniently 15 minutes form home) does it while you wait and they use a big static controlled booth contraption that has a microscope on it. So when they are done, it is perfect. They shoot a before and after shot for me. Although I always check it myself.

Easiest way is to shoot a white piece of paper with a flash from 2 or 3 feet away at F32 or higher. I use a semigloss photo paper which is slightly reflective.

If there is something there you will see it! If it is minor and the blower will not remove it then a fine sable hair paint brush may be used to dislodge it. Ever so gently of course. beyond that I let the pro's handle it.

Messed up a focus screen on my D300s trying to get a little more aggressive on my own. Had to take it to the pro's to replace and get clean.

I am sort of anal about it being perfectly clean and spotless. The slightest spot makes my blood pressure go up.

Shoot, shoot and shoot some more!

--Martin
www.ExclusivePhotoWorks.com
Nikon Body's
D800e, D300s, D7000, D90, D80, F100

Lenses:
18 - 200 F3.5-5.6 VRII, 70-200 F2.8 VR II,
18 - 105 F3.5-5.6 VR, 18 - 135 F3.5-5.6,
35 - 70 F2.8, 50 F1.4, 70 - 300 F4-4.5,
Sigma 150-500 F5-6.3

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 19-Jun-11 05:28 PM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D7000 sensor artifact/problem - help needed"
In response to Reply # 14

St Petersburg, RU

I am somewhat surprised so many people are reluctant to clean their sensors, they are not a fragile as imagined by some.
In fact, they are pretty darn tough. Those around smokers, kitchen fumes and atmospheric pollutants are going to need it regularly and everyone will need it occasionally.
It seems to be just a cost of shooting digital and a normal maintenance procedure for hobbyists. People clean their lenses, so why be nervous about cleaning a hard sensor?
After years of general maintenance on delicate condenser studio microphones with 4-6 micron thick gold sputtered diaphragms without damage, I suspect the most ham-fisted can clean a sensor without causing damage.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

mvlow1974 Registered since 03rd Dec 2012Sun 09-Dec-12 04:06 PM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: D7000 sensor artifact/problem - help needed"
In response to Reply # 15

US

Hi,

I realize this is an old post, but it seems the appropriate place to post my question instead of starting a new post. I just upgraded to a D7000 from a D5100 last week and was testing out the new camera with a Tamron 70-300mm yesterday. I was using f/16 and f/22, while taking landscape pictures. When I got home, I noticed a dust spot on the top right corner of all of my pictures. I was surprised because the camera is brand new, but realize after some research this is not abnormal. I didn't notice any dust spots on my D5100 pictures but then again I rarely stopped down to f/16 or f22 during the few months that I owned it.

I tried the automatic sensor cleaning function three times and it did not get rid of the dust spot, so I am ordering a Rocket blower to see if that does the trick.

My question is regarding regular maintenance of the sensor. Is there a negative side to setting the D7000 to do the automatic sensor cleaning at every start up and shut down? For example is it a large battery drain or can it cause any kind of excessive wear to the sensor mechanism. Also, the manual indicates you should place the camera on it's base before starting the automatic sensor cleaning. If the cleaning is starting at every start up and shut down, there will be times when I turn the camera on and it will not be on it's base. Will that have any negative impact on the sensor and/or make the dust situation worse.

I do not want to do a wet cleaning for one dust spot on a brand new camera, so I am hoping that the rocker blower and regular automatic cleaning will work for a while.

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Sun 09-Dec-12 05:11 PM
1591 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: D7000 sensor artifact/problem - help needed"
In response to Reply # 16

US

I have never seen anyone say that it can be detrimential.I have my 300s and 700 set to clean at start up/shut down and it only lasts a second or two, so no real battery drain.I also am sure it gets turned off and on in many different positions.
If you have not dislodged the spot with a blower and self clean, it is probably already 'welded' there You can do a dust off reference photo though if you still want to avoid wet cleaning.Check you manual for info

Sheri Becker

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Sun 09-Dec-12 05:51 PM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: D7000 sensor artifact/problem - help needed"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 09-Dec-12 05:57 PM by RockyIII

Raleigh, US

If I were you, I would wet clean it myself.

My local Nikon dealer offers free sensor cleanings for life if you buy your camera from them. I do not know what they charge otherwise. However, due to their poor return policy (no refunds and 10 day exchange), I seldom purchase from them anymore. Even if somebody does it for you at no charge, it takes a lot less time to just do it yourself, and I am fairly certain I can clean it as good as they can.

Oops, I just noticed I replied to the very old OP. Regarding the automatic sensor cleaning feature, I use it but have never really noticed that it helps. When I see dust, I like to go ahead and take care of it rather than waiting while it sits there and possibly becomes more difficult to remove.

Rocky

cosmicfires Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2011Sat 22-Dec-12 07:39 AM
328 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: D7000 sensor artifact/problem - help needed"
In response to Reply # 0

Lynnwood, US

I got a sensor loupe, it's much faster than taking test pictures and re-cleaning.

my website

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7940 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.