Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7916
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 in place of D300?" Previous topic | Next topic
Rohinton_Mehta Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2002Mon 04-Apr-11 11:29 AM
434 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 in place of D300?"

Mumbai, IN

Does it make sense to sell off a D300 and get a D7000 instead?

I am perfectly happy with the D300 and I know that the D7000 is not going to change the world for me. I also know that 4 million more pixels is nice to have but again, the jump is marginal. May be, newer technology is playing tricks.

Rohinton

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 in place of D300?
Gamecocks Silver Member
04th Apr 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
05th Apr 2011
JPJ Silver Member
04th Apr 2011
chris_platt Silver Member
04th Apr 2011
pjr Gold Member
04th Apr 2011
billD80 Silver Member
04th Apr 2011
shootersdesireIN Silver Member
04th Apr 2011
oneimadeearlier_26
06th Apr 2011
MstrBones Silver Member
04th Apr 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
05th Apr 2011
RockyIII Gold Member
06th Apr 2011
adcam Gold Member
06th Apr 2011
km6xz Moderator
06th Apr 2011
RockyIII Gold Member
06th Apr 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
08th Apr 2011

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Mon 04-Apr-11 11:50 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 in place of D300?"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

Since you are "perfectly happy" with the D300 I don't believe the extra pixels should play biggest role in the decision. Specifications of the sensor size are about the same except in the photosite size - D300 is 5.49 microns compared to 4.78 for the D7000.

I really enjoy my D7000 but the D300 is certainly a very good body. Both will do everything that is needed by most people. Imo, it all comes down to wants and desire over needs.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Tue 05-Apr-11 10:28 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 in place of D300?"
In response to Reply # 1

Yorkshire, GB

For some yes - for many no.
I have done it - but have the D300s and D3s for "pro camera" needs.
I had a use for a smaller lighter but decent camera body.
I do a lot of video - the D7000 has Nikon's highest video resolution.
I do a lot of wildlife photography. Cropping the D7000 image slightly from the 200-400 at 400 should give me similar resolution to the 500mm (which I cannot afford) on the D300s.
If you do not see a need (or needs) there is often no reason to upgrade anything.
My old Benbo tripod is out of fashion - but can be safely used in 18 inches of water. My 1999 TC14e does not have the same cosmetics as the TC14e II - but it works just as well.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Mon 04-Apr-11 12:21 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 in place of D300?"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

The main reason to upgrade imo is the ISO performance. Given that you are perfectly happy with your d300, I am presuming that you do not have the need to shoot over ISO 800 very often.

When you say I am perfectly happy with my camera, you have probably made the most convincing argument NOT to get a different camera, whatever it may be.

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

chris_platt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Apr 2009Mon 04-Apr-11 12:28 PM
751 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 in place of D300?"
In response to Reply # 0

Newburg, US

"Does it make sense to sell off a D300 and get a D7000 instead?"

Not if you're perfectly with your D300. Unless there are features in the D7000 that you find lacking in the D300 and important to your photography, you don't need to upgrade. The D300 is a great camera.

I upgraded from a D200, but I didn't do it for the pixel count. I did it for the much better auto-focus, dynamic range (very important to me), high ISO noise performance, and the video capabilities. Those were big leaps from the D200, but not so much from the D300 - improved yes, but not the same as the leap from a D200.

Given a choice, I would have opted for fewer pixels and even better high ISO noise and dynamic range performance. My lens collection, my technique, and the way I normally display and print my photos can't really take advantage of those extra pixels. So in my case, they just suck up more cycles on my computer and pushed me to upgrade that too.

Visit my gallery.

pjr Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2005Mon 04-Apr-11 01:40 PM
2244 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 in place of D300?"
In response to Reply # 0

Manotick, CA

I recently got a D7000 and kept my D300. As the others have said, unless you need the higher ISO performance and more resolution, or want video, I don't see any need for an upgrade.

Phil
A Canadian Nikonian
My portfolio: www.pjr99.500px.com

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 04-Apr-11 03:40 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 in place of D300?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>Does it make sense to sell off a D300 and get a D7000
>instead?
>
>I am perfectly happy with the D300 and I know that the D7000
>is not going to change the world for me. I also know that 4
>million more pixels is nice to have but again, the jump is
>marginal. May be, newer technology is playing tricks.

Is the D7000 "better" than the D300? Yes, on paper. Does it make sense for you to move in that direction? No. Not if you're "perfectly happy" where you are.

Why? Well unless you make HUGE enlargements, the extra megapixels may not be of real value. Yes, the D7000 color tones are great, but can 99% of people see the difference, even with A/B comparison prints? Does one camera's color rendition translate as "better" than the other?

I moved to the D7000 from a D200. While I am a hobbyist, a also commonly exhibit and sell 20x30 prints. People happily buy 20x30 prints done from my D200 for $300. Yes, these same shots done on a D300 would have been "better" in the sense that there might have been a SLIGHT increase in resolution, but as they are, the resolution is still phenomenal, and sellable.

For me, the D7000 offers a significant jump in resolution from what I had, but whether that really matters is debateable.

Personally, for grab shots, I like the D7000's ability to live in the ISO 3200 range. But I STILL shoot mainly at ISO 100, sometimes at ISO 320 for sports!

So, Just stay with your D300. It's a stunning machine.

If you need something better, then you'll know why. If you don't know why, then you don't need it.

This approach saves a lot of money, and time for going out to make great images.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

shootersdesireIN Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2011Mon 04-Apr-11 11:42 PM
117 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 in place of D300?"
In response to Reply # 5

Indianapolis, US

Think of it like this! Have you ever held a D90. The body size is so much smaller then the d300. For me it came down to a few things thats why i went back to the D300 instead of my d7000. Its like driving a full size car and now your driving a mid size instead. I really don't think there's much difference in the pixels. If i do anything in the future it will be the new upcoming D700 upgrade or the D700. That i could afford (maybe)...

oneimadeearlier_26 Registered since 21st Oct 2007Wed 06-Apr-11 12:53 PM
82 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7000 in place of D300?"
In response to Reply # 5

GB

I really like your last 3 sentences!

That said, I've just added a D7000 to my D60. I love the D60 & will be keeping it, but I've got the D7000 because of it's command flash capabilities, better low light performance, & video. Even so, I'm at the 'horrified at how much I've just spent' stage rather than the 'wow, fantastic camera' stage. I will get out & shoot with it at the weekend, at which point, I hope WFC will apply!

or my website.

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Mon 04-Apr-11 11:51 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 in place of D300?"
In response to Reply # 0

AW

Nope.

""

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Tue 05-Apr-11 04:48 AM
4179 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 in place of D300?"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

>Does it make sense to sell off a D300 and get a D7000
>instead?
>
>I am perfectly happy with the D300 and I know that the D7000
>is not going to change the world for me. I also know that 4
>million more pixels is nice to have but again, the jump is
>marginal. May be, newer technology is playing tricks.

I have a D300 and added a D7000. In general I would say I still value the D300 responsiveness (Frames per second, AF speed, more rugged and probably better weather-proofing) and I would give the D7000 an edge in image quality and high ISO and of course video capability which I love.

If your question was could you benefit by adding the D7000 as a second camera, I would have no hesitation is saying yes. To completely replace your D300 I hesitate to recommend that for some of the reasons outlined above. But you would have to determine if those reasons are important to you. All the best in your decision!

PS. I think there will be a D400 this year and that would be a better option for completely replacing your D300.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Wed 06-Apr-11 04:57 PM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7000 in place of D300?"
In response to Reply # 0

Raleigh, US

As others have said, it depends on your use, but you might also consider buying a D7000 as doing your part to help the economy.

Rocky

adcam Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2007Wed 06-Apr-11 05:20 PM
585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D7000 in place of D300?"
In response to Reply # 11

Portland, US

>As others have said, it depends on your use, but you might
>also consider buying a D7000 as doing your part to help the
>economy.
>
>Rocky

That's just what I did! Bought a D7000 to stimulate the economy .

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 06-Apr-11 05:56 PM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D7000 in place of D300?"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

A valid answer would be one that was based on your subject matter, lenses, adaptability, enthusiasm for change, need for DR( at base ISO, nothing beats the D7000), weight tolerance, size preferences, and discretionary funds. And we can't forget, resistance to NAS.
Since none of us know these factors but you, I think you are asking the wrong Nikonians....all of us strangers when only you have the facts that are key to the answer.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Wed 06-Apr-11 06:57 PM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D7000 in place of D300?"
In response to Reply # 13

Raleigh, US

> ...resistance to NAS.

Resistance is futile.

Rocky

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 08-Apr-11 03:04 PM
3136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D7000 in place of D300?"
In response to Reply # 14

Monterey Bay, US

I like everything MoreBetter on the D7000,
but I was one of the few that was very "unhappy" with my D300.

I think your NAS is spiking you and you should wait for the D400.
I expect it to be announced in Aug-Sept and available by October of this year.
You can probably pre-order now and that might satisfy your camera lust.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7916 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.