Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7846
View in linear mode

Subject: "fyi: After five days, a problem - forum members figure ..." Previous topic | Next topic
smh Registered since 21st Sep 2007Sat 02-Apr-11 02:42 PM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"fyi: After five days, a problem - forum members figure it out"
Sat 02-Apr-11 10:26 PM by smh

Lexington, US

UPDATE: I want to thank all memebers than pointed the finger squarely at me as the problem - not the camera. The suggestions and fix made my day.

--------------------

Just as a sqwak, my new D7K developed a focus problem after only five days use. The only mode still working properly is full auto. In all other modes (P, A, M, etc.), looking in the viewfinder there is a 'frozen', or, 'stuck' focus point sitting on the right side, which the camera is determined to use that -and only that point- for focusing.
I can't move it, can't reset it, can't do anything other than return it (the camera). Bah!
FWIW, I notice "refurbished" D7000's already showing up on retailers web site. Don't know if this is the norm or not for such a new item.
Time will tell.
Cheers!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: fyi: After five days, a problem
egmonster Gold Member
02nd Apr 2011
smh
02nd Apr 2011
TakeTwo Silver Member
02nd Apr 2011
smh
02nd Apr 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
02nd Apr 2011
smh
02nd Apr 2011
briantilley Moderator
02nd Apr 2011
smh
02nd Apr 2011
Garys
03rd Apr 2011
smh
03rd Apr 2011
TakeTwo Silver Member
03rd Apr 2011
agitater Gold Member
03rd Apr 2011
Reply message RE: fyi: After five days, a problem - forum members fig...
km6xz Moderator
03rd Apr 2011
smh
03rd Apr 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
03rd Apr 2011

egmonster Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2011Sat 02-Apr-11 02:56 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: fyi: After five days, a problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Egmont, CA

Awww. That sucks! I am no expert and I am getting a d7000 in a few days, but I'm not concerned. Such is the nature of complex electronics I think. I have bought a lot of stuff over the years and it usually follows one of two patterns.

A- works perfect for a long time.

B- breaks in the first week or two of purchase from a manufacturing defect, gets fixed or replaced and works for a long time.

so take heart. Im sure it will be fine.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

smh Registered since 21st Sep 2007Sat 02-Apr-11 03:38 PM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: fyi: After five days, a problem"
In response to Reply # 1

Lexington, US

yup. Agree. I was loving the camera, now have to deal with the R&R riamarole. Thanks for your input; Just needed someone to commiserate with

TakeTwo Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Sat 02-Apr-11 03:39 PM
214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: fyi: After five days, a problem"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 02-Apr-11 03:43 PM by TakeTwo

South Lake Tahoe, US

You didn't mention if you preformed a 2 button reset. You may or may not no this but the center OK button will bring the focus square to center on a properly working camera. I don't know if the lock and unlock slide button can lock the focus in place or not. Don

smh Registered since 21st Sep 2007Sat 02-Apr-11 03:55 PM
#4. "RE: fyi: After five days, a problem"
In response to Reply # 3

Lexington, US

>You didn't mention if you preformed a 2 button reset.<
Bingo! Get this man a dozen cookies! I had totally overlooked this simple procedure - you saved the day!
The interesting thing is, I now realize the various AF functions were never working properly in anything but auto mode. Right out of the box!
Thanks again. Gotta love the forums.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 02-Apr-11 05:02 PM
4208 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: fyi: After five days, a problem"
In response to Reply # 4

Alberta, CA

Also next time check if the AF lock switch is on "L" on the back of the camera. This is the two-position switch that can either be unlocked "." (dot) or "L" (locked).

It is possible to select an AF point somewhere off-centre in the frame and then to subsequently click the switch to "L". Doing so would result in the situation you describe in your OP, where the selected AF point is somewhere over on top right of frame and unmovable

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

smh Registered since 21st Sep 2007Sat 02-Apr-11 05:23 PM
#6. "RE: fyi: After five days, a problem"
In response to Reply # 5

Lexington, US

SteveK, yes, there's another good thing to remember. The 2-button reset was the answer this time. It was a DOH moment. But, it was also fortunate in that, apparently, whatever it was going on was present from initial power-up. Now I can quit banging my head, wondering why my experinece wasn't matching the user manual.
Thanks again guys.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 02-Apr-11 05:40 PM
28726 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: fyi: After five days, a problem"
In response to Reply # 6

Paignton, GB

In your first post, you said the problem developed after a few days' use. Unless you can be quite sure that you hadn't inadvertently moved the AF point yourself with the rear Multi Selector and then locked it with the Focus Selector Lock switch, I think Steve's suggestion is a better explanation of what's happened than the camera being faulty.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

smh Registered since 21st Sep 2007Sat 02-Apr-11 07:44 PM
#8. "RE: fyi: After five days, a problem"
In response to Reply # 7

Lexington, US

> I think Steve's suggestion is a better explanation of
>what's happened than the camera being faulty.

I really (really!)had to think about that. I believe you got it as I do remember operating the selector -one time- and perhaps that was the beginning of this. Which, from my standpoint, is better to have me the idiot than have a new camera with some bug waiting to bite me.
Thanks!

Garys Registered since 22nd Sep 2009Sun 03-Apr-11 03:36 PM
234 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: fyi: After five days, a problem"
In response to Reply # 8

Mesa, US

SMH:

Not to be rude but have you read the manual? The D7000 is just a camera like any other camera and if you follow the operating instructions it will serve you well.

I am no professional photographer and I am still learning to use this camera, for me its a lot of hit or miss results but the fault lies with me.

Enjoy your camera.

----
Gary

Visit MY Nikon Gallery: http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=13361&ppuser=0

smh Registered since 21st Sep 2007Sun 03-Apr-11 04:01 PM
#10. "RE: fyi: After five days, a problem"
In response to Reply # 9

Lexington, US

>SMH:
>
>have you read the manual? >>

No worry: I don't mind the dope slaps when deserved. My unintended flick of the switch was one of those things that just didn't register with my brain. My bad. But, the good people on this site saved the day. And, yes, the D7000 is one nice package.
Thanks!

TakeTwo Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Sun 03-Apr-11 04:18 PM
214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: fyi: After five days, a problem"
In response to Reply # 9

South Lake Tahoe, US

One problem with not reading the manual is that changes get made and we don't know how to put it back, or worse yet we think a problem has developed. This is a great camera and as in my opinion time will tell. Its nice to know that we can get smarter just knowing all the ins and outs of our camera. I'm sure many have given up and returned there camera for a refund. And thats where you get the bad press. I"m glad your problem is solved. Don

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sun 03-Apr-11 05:54 PM
3968 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: fyi: After five days, a problem"
In response to Reply # 11

Toronto, CA

>One problem with not reading the manual is that changes get
>made and we don't know how to put it back, or worse yet we
>think a problem has developed.

Yes. Right. Correct. RTM. Always.

The problem is that Nikon's DSLR printed manuals and online help are terrible. A question asked on Nikonians is frequently a far faster way of getting an important and accurate answer.

Nikon manuals and online tech support knowledge bases have always been mediocre IMO. That would be acceptable if Nikon only sold cameras to experienced DSLR users. Nikon does not restrict the marketing of its complex DSLR bodies though to only those photographers who already have a solid knowledge base about the technology. Rather, Nikon markets its complex DSLR bodies to anyone and everyone with the money to buy one of the bodies. Problem is, the manuals contain feature and function descriptions without significant context. The result is that when a D7000 owner who is relatively inexperienced inadvertently locks a focus point, there's no troubleshooting section in the manual in which he can easily look up/reference/index the problem. The answer is in the printed manual, but if you don't know exactly what to look for in the first place - "focus point lock control" or something like that, even the sparse index in most of the DSLR printed manuals provide little in the way of troubleshooting help which can be intuitively recognized.

Nikon could dramatically improve its printed manuals just by hiring a good set of English and localization writers to create a really robust index for each printed manual, or by tasking its existing writer(s) and localization contractor(s) to do the work.

I've been fed up with poor product documentation for years. More and more we're being pushed online to look for help when learning and troubleshooting and there's nothing inherently wrong with that. IMO, the problem is mainly that pushing people online also requires that a company provide smoething more than the same printed manual in PDF (non-searchable) format. It's faintly goofy, frankly, that the D7000 manual isn't available in searchable (thoroughly keyworded) HTML format from any of the Nikon web sites.

The Nikon knowledge base online is not bad, but it's far from useful when a D7000 owner finds him/herself daunted by the printed tome and its lousy index while looking up a usage issue or perceived problem with a specific DSLR.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 03-Apr-11 05:34 PM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: fyi: After five days, a problem - forum members figure it out"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

As with any new product that is promoted as a replacement for skill and knowledge of the craft, a lot of people bought them because 16mpx must be better, and being newer must lower the requirement for knowing what one is doing, there are going to be a lot of returns for warranty repairs or replacement. Most of those are fine, and reading the digesting the manual would have proven that to the new unsatisfied buyer. Thousands were returned in the first few weeks due to the internet rumor that the proper test for hot pixels in video was to shoot at high ISO with the lens cap on. A lot of beginners fell for that and claimed theirs was defective when noise blooms occurred. Others were sure they needed fine tuning of their lenses because they were not getting super sharp images.
Most assumed that using the same sloppy technique as they used with their entry level 6 or 12 mpx cameras, being newer the D7000 should compensate and know what the person meant rather than what they instructed the camera to do.
As a result, Nikon was sitting on 10s of thousands of perfectly good cameras that could not be sold as new. The D90 was returned in droves also by the same type of people, due to softness and an error message that simply said to clean or reseat the lens. After a couple months people started wising up to the "experts" on forums like DPR which tried to convince everyone to get inside their D90 and adjust the mirror box with a hex key. Without any changes to the camera or firmware, eventually the camera earned a reputation of being one of the most well sorted out, ready for prime time, cameras ever...no updates, no recalls, and service advisories. There was a single firmware update close to when it was out of production only to make files compatible with a new lens correction feature in Nikon editing software that did not exist when it was released.
Now some forums are instructing everyone to test the D7000 for back focus with highly flawed methods and send the camera back if it does not pass the meaningless tests.
Luckily all those "bad" cameras are going to be sold after calibration for an attractive price. I am glad to see the refurbs hitting the shelves, due to their being tested again on the calibration bench and will likely be even closer to optimum than the normal production line final calibration. The more recent the calibration the more likely to be optimum when reaching the hands of the user.
Soon we might see sub $1000 refurbished D7000. Nikon would generate a higher profit if they supported Nikonian's and referred people here, which is about the only place on the internet where someone can be talked through their problem instead of being talking into a bigger one. It would mean tens of millions of dollars in lost value of new product being returned needlessly.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

smh Registered since 21st Sep 2007Sun 03-Apr-11 08:18 PM
#14. "RE: fyi: After five days, a problem - forum members figure it out"
In response to Reply # 12

Lexington, US

Fellas, can we just let this thread die so I don't become known as the "D7K Idiot"?
For the record, I did read the manual. And the manual before that..
BTW, I totally concur about the Nikon documentation issue. And, Stan, NO, you're not getting my 'defective' D7000.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 03-Apr-11 08:55 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: fyi: After five days, a problem - forum members figure it out"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

>FWIW, I notice "refurbished" D7000's already showing
>up on retailers web site. Don't know if this is the norm or
>not for such a new item.

There are many reasons these cameras are being refurbished besides having some type of circuit failure. There could be demo or sample units from shows and Nikon school that can not be sold as new. The cameras provided to select beta testers and professional reviewers could also be appearing as refurbished. And then like any shipped product, there are the "scratch and dent" units that have a surface blemish and the dealers do not want to sell as new.

As noted some units could be from an early circuit failure for which the purchaser was provided with a new unit and the returned unit were held until repair parts became available.

I would not put too much into the presence of refurbished units appearing for resale.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7846 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.