Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7826
View in linear mode

Subject: "No beep in 3D tracking mode?" Previous topic | Next topic
MACerone Registered since 02nd Apr 2011Sat 02-Apr-11 04:02 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"No beep in 3D tracking mode?"

US

When in AF-A or AF-C no matter what lens I have on, I cannot get this camera to beep on focus with 3D tracking enabled.

It works fine in all other modes, Single, D9, D21, D39, Auto.

And if I'm in AF-S it's fine as well, with the offered settings.

What gives here, anyone else notice this, is it intentional?, If so why?

I traded up from a D90, and seem to recall it beeped under all conditions.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Sat 02-Apr-11 04:28 AM
327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: No beep in 3D tracking mode?"
In response to Reply # 0

Warsaw, US

No beep here. I think my D5000 only beeps in AF-S.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Sat 02-Apr-11 04:51 AM
2964 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: No beep in 3D tracking mode?"
In response to Reply # 0

Raleigh, US

I don't have the focus beep turned on and have not tried it, but if you are in AF-A or AF-C it makes sense that the beep would be off because if it was on it would be constantly beeping as the camera is constantly refocusing.

Rocky

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Sat 02-Apr-11 04:54 AM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: No beep in 3D tracking mode?"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

All Nikon cameras only provide an autofocus confirmation beep in AF-S mode (it will only sound in AF-A mode if it selects AF-S). Se pg.215 of the manual.

In AF-S mode once focus fixes on a subject and the camera beeps to let you know focus has been fixed and will not change until you release the shutter button from it's half press position or release the AF-E/AF-L button if you use that to focus.

In AF-C mode the camera will continuously focus while you keep the shutter button half pressed (or your AF-E/AF-L button pressed). No beep as the camera is not sure if you are wanting to continue focusing or snap your photo. You can look for the focus dot in the viewfinder for confirmation and/or set AF-C to focus priority if you want to make sure you don't accidentally fire off a photo in one of the AF-C modes (including 3d) when focus is not locked.

I personally keep the beep off all the time, I find it annoying.

I owned the d90 before upgrading to the d7k, it worked the same way.

Jason

MACerone Registered since 02nd Apr 2011Sat 02-Apr-11 05:27 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: No beep in 3D tracking mode?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Jason!, much appreciated. Although, I love the beep and will have to get used to not hearing it for any action shots that I rarely shoot, I was most concerned that my "brand new this week" camera was not functioning properly. Now that I know it's intentional, I'm a happy guy.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7826 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.