Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7734
View in linear mode

Subject: "New D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
ubertekton Registered since 04th Dec 2009Thu 31-Mar-11 10:37 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New D7000"

Telford, US

Great! The camera arrived yesterday as opposed to this Saturday. Seems to be working fine, focus included. Couple of minutes ago I wanted to test with some macro shots and I installed a 105mm DG Macro EX Sigma lens. The camera would not turn on. I tried the lens on my D200 and it worked as usual.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New D7000
agitater Gold Member
31st Mar 2011
chris_platt Silver Member
01st Apr 2011
agitater Gold Member
01st Apr 2011
chris_platt Silver Member
01st Apr 2011
RockyIII Gold Member
01st Apr 2011
Reply message D7000 and Sigma 105mm Macro lens
ubertekton
02nd Apr 2011
Reply message RE: D7000 and Sigma 105mm Macro lens
agitater Gold Member
02nd Apr 2011

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Thu 31-Mar-11 11:32 PM
3970 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

>Couple
>of minutes ago I wanted to test with some macro shots and I
>installed a 105mm DG Macro EX Sigma lens. The camera would
>not turn on. I tried the lens on my D200 and it worked as
>usual.

Ensure the Sigma is fully seated - clicked firmly into position. When you are actually turning on the camera, make sure your support hand is not touching the lens release button. Some D7000 owners have reported that the lens release button assembly has a very sensitive contact point.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

chris_platt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Apr 2009Fri 01-Apr-11 12:04 AM
751 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Newburg, US

There are a number of reports circulating, including here on Nikonians, of problems with that particular lens and the D7000, including the problem you have described. Sigma has been coming up with fixes for a number of compatibility issues between their lenses and the D7000 - most having to do with live view focus incompatibilities though. I recommend you call Sigma and ask about your lens. I expect they have fix, but you will probably have to ship your lens off to them.

It's not unusual to have to send lenses off to Sigma for upgrade when Nikon comes out with a new camera. I had to do it with both my 50-500 and my 800 when I purchased a D200.

Visit my gallery.

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Fri 01-Apr-11 12:21 AM
3970 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

Toronto, CA

I really wish Nikon and Canon would release at least a limited SDK and HDK for their DSLR bodies. I am not suggesting the Nikon or Canon give away proprietary secrets just to satisfy prurient consumer wants. But charging a license fee to Sigma and Tamron and Tokina in return for a limited amount of information - at least enough to help all three makers get the spec right - would benefit consumers as well as Nikon and Canon.

My Nikonians Gallery

chris_platt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Apr 2009Fri 01-Apr-11 12:27 AM
751 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: New D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

Newburg, US

Indeed...

Visit my gallery.

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Fri 01-Apr-11 02:17 AM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: New D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

Raleigh, US

Great idea, Howard. Sometimes what seems so simple and obvious is overlooked.

Rocky

ubertekton Registered since 04th Dec 2009Sat 02-Apr-11 12:26 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "D7000 and Sigma 105mm Macro lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Telford, US

I contacted Sigma via email and got a next day response. I get to send the lens for software upgrade and, if that is all that needs fixing, I only pay shipping.

Not bad, but it is somewhat irritating to have to go through this.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sat 02-Apr-11 11:46 PM
#7. "RE: D7000 and Sigma 105mm Macro lens"
In response to Reply # 6

Toronto, CA

>I contacted Sigma via email and got a next day response. I
>get to send the lens for software upgrade and, if that is all
>that needs fixing, I only pay shipping.
>
>Not bad, but it is somewhat irritating to have to go through
>this.

Not bad - true enough. But Sigma is not earning a confident D7000 owner as a lens customer, unless I miss my guess. The competitive price of the Sigma macro is just a little bit less competitive after adding the cost of shipping, the owner's time to pack and ship the lens and the amount of time the owner won't have the lens, all to get the lens to work with a new Nikon body. Sigma knows full well that the lens owner has to pay for shipping in the absence of any alternative. I think Sigma should at least offer an RMA and a coupon for UPS or FedEx or USPS/Canada Post (or whatever) which covers a proper shipping box, proper padding and the cost of shipping.

My point is that the D7000 is not some bizarre new camera body and the Sigma 105 macro is not a rare lens. Third-party makers cannot reasonably expect us to be confidently enthusiastic about their products if body compatibility issues end up costing us money.

My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7734 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.