Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7732
View in linear mode

Subject: "SD Card Availability?" Previous topic | Next topic
dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Thu 31-Mar-11 10:21 PM
710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SD Card Availability?"

San Francisco, US

I'm planning for a trip to Europe in May. I also just got a new D7000 to talk along. I'm using the camera as much as I can before the trip. Since I won't have a lap top, I want to have plenty of memory cards along. I shoot RAW, so every file is about 17MB. I've heard on the news that one of the companies likely to be impacted by the tragic events in Japan is SanDisk. I've been a loyal SanDisk user on all my cameras and don't want to experiment at this point. I'm tempted to stock up on SD cards now, in case the supply dries up later, but my budget is stinging from the purchase of the D7000. I'd appreciate any comments about how to proceed.

dgs

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SD Card Availability?
agitater Gold Member
31st Mar 2011
Captain Rich Silver Member
01st Apr 2011
dgs2
02nd Apr 2011
Toolking Silver Member
02nd Apr 2011
agitater Gold Member
02nd Apr 2011
glocke
03rd Apr 2011
Toolking Silver Member
03rd Apr 2011
Toolking Silver Member
03rd Apr 2011
billD80 Silver Member
03rd Apr 2011
mdallie Silver Member
05th Apr 2011
meadowlark Silver Member
15th Apr 2011

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Thu 31-Mar-11 11:50 PM
3986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SD Card Availability?"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

The SanDisk fabs in Mie prefecture are quite far away from the areas hardest hit by the quake. Two fabs were briefly affected by the quake, but were up and running again in a few days.

SanDisk, Lexar and Transcend all make great SD cards. They each have fabrication operations and semi-conductor chip making operations in Japan, Taiwan, Shanghai and South Korea. There are tons upon tons of inventory (in container lots) of various types of SD cards in the distribution channels in North America and in Europe.

All you have to do to find out about this sort of stuff is to hit a manufacturer web site and look up the latest press releases. I think there is very little to worry about - if anything at all. Lots of SD cards of all types are available now and will be for the foreseeable future.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Fri 01-Apr-11 01:15 AM
1179 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SD Card Availability?"
In response to Reply # 1

Savannah, US

I also recommend taking along a backup device. I took a Hyperdrive Album to Italy last fall and thought it was a great asset for travel. Took up very little space and worked flawlessly.

Rich

dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Sat 02-Apr-11 06:33 AM
710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SD Card Availability?"
In response to Reply # 1

San Francisco, US

Thanks for the detailed response - one less thing to worry about for the trip!

dgs

Toolking Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Oct 2008Sat 02-Apr-11 11:06 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SD Card Availability?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Check out Costco for good prices

http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.aspx?ec=BC-EC10626-Cat31022&pos=5&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=2255&eCat=BC|84|31022|2255&lang=en-US
I bought numerous 8Gig cards for my upcoming 6 week trip to Europe for my D7K

The 16G PNY is a good unit as well.

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sat 02-Apr-11 11:53 PM
3986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SD Card Availability?"
In response to Reply # 4

Toronto, CA

>The 16G PNY is a good unit as well.

The PNY SDHC cards in your Costco link may state that they're rated class 10, but that's a technicality only. Those cards are as slow as frozen molasses. That's why they're so cheap. I notice that the faster (though class 6 rated) SanDisk Extreme III cards are sold out at the Costco link. The SanDisk Extreme III cards are at least three times more expensive than the PNY cards, but in use they're approximately four times as fast as the PNY cards.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

glocke Registered since 15th Mar 2011Sun 03-Apr-11 01:21 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: SD Card Availability?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Just as an added layer of safety, you might want to consider stopping at the end of your trip and taking an hour or so to transfer your photos to DVD and mailing yourself a copy of the dvd. All kinds of weird, unexpected things happen during trips that could prevent your photos from making it home with you.

Toolking Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Oct 2008Sun 03-Apr-11 07:30 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: SD Card Availability?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>
>>The 16G PNY is a good unit as well.
>
>The PNY SDHC cards in your Costco link may state that they're
>rated class 10, but that's a technicality only. Those cards
>are as slow as frozen molasses. That's why they're so cheap. I
>notice that the faster (though class 6 rated) SanDisk Extreme
>III cards are sold out at the Costco link. The SanDisk Extreme
>III cards are at least three times more expensive than the PNY
>cards, but in use they're approximately four times as fast as
>the PNY cards.
>
Tnx for that. I almost bought some. I'll stick with san disk. You can never have too many. Now if only the batteries weren't so **** expensive!

Toolking Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Oct 2008Sun 03-Apr-11 07:32 PM
#8. "RE: SD Card Availability?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Quick change of subject if I might. What are you using as an adapter for the charger?

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 03-Apr-11 07:59 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: SD Card Availability?"
In response to Reply # 8

US

>Quick change of subject if I might. What are you using as an
>adapter for the charger?

He'll only need plug adapters, which cost about $10 for a full set.

What MIGHT be good is this: http://www.gepe.com/website/index.asp?pageID=297

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Tue 05-Apr-11 11:20 PM
234 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: SD Card Availability?"
In response to Reply # 0

Novi, US

I have also agonized at the cost of these cards given I am also going to Europe this summer and plan to take no less than 3,000 pictures...RAW + JPG (just not sure which size JPG).

I have been buying 16GB Sandisk at about $50 or so on Amazon. When I considered the cost, and realized these cards will collect disk after the trip, I decided to throw in the towel, take the laptop, and buy a external HD ($50 - $60 for a portable up to 500GB). I will download pictures to the laptop and the hard drive and then re-use the SD cards. Not what I wanted to do, but saves me a ton of money and gives me piece of mind because I'll have two copies of everything.

Mike

meadowlark Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Fri 15-Apr-11 11:47 PM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: SD Card Availability?"
In response to Reply # 0

Springfield, US

I purchased lots of Transcend 8gb class 10 SD cards, $14 from B&H for our trip to Cuba two weeks ago. we filled 11 cards with no problems.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7732 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.