Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7709
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 problems have me scared" Previous topic | Next topic
jlg759 Registered since 14th Mar 2011Thu 31-Mar-11 05:05 PM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 problems have me scared"

US

Guys and Gals,

I am ready to purchase a new camera. I am looking at the d7000 or the d90 I have no intrest in the video that the cameras do i will be using for photography only. I currently have a d3100 and fell in love with it. I am looking for a second camera that i can keep my 18- 105 lens on. The d3100 has a 55-200 so I have the best of both worlds depending on which body I pick up. I was a cannon user and use a NIkon at my job on occation and liked it so i switched. I was thinking the d7000 sounded pretty good but all the bad press I have been reading about soft images has me a little worried. Has Nikon made an attempt to fix the issues on current production runs of the d7000 or would i be happier with a d90.

Thanks
Joe

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 problems have me scared
glocke
31st Mar 2011
briantilley Moderator
31st Mar 2011
elec164 Silver Member
31st Mar 2011
billD80 Silver Member
31st Mar 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
31st Mar 2011
beemerman2k Silver Member
31st Mar 2011
jckingca Silver Member
31st Mar 2011
JPJ Silver Member
31st Mar 2011
Robman3
31st Mar 2011
Reply message RE: D7000 problems have me scared - are there any probl...
Len Shepherd Gold Member
01st Apr 2011
jlg759
01st Apr 2011
chris_platt Silver Member
01st Apr 2011
elec164 Silver Member
01st Apr 2011
JPJ Silver Member
01st Apr 2011
pjr Gold Member
01st Apr 2011

glocke Registered since 15th Mar 2011Thu 31-Mar-11 05:19 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 problems have me scared"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I can't spea for others, but I have not encountered any soft images with my d7000. On the contrary, I find the images so much better than what I was getting with the D90 that I replaced it with, that I am wondering if my D90 was a lemon.

I have read some complaints from people complaining about soft or out of focus images, but I think alot (not all) have to do with this camera exposing bad photographic technique.

If your that concerned best thing to do is either buy a model that has been out for while (i.e. 300s or D90), or buy from a place that has a liberal return policy.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 31-Mar-11 05:20 PM
28742 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 problems have me scared"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Welcome to Nikonians!

>Has Nikon made an attempt to fix the issues on current
>production runs of the D7000

No, they haven't - because there really are not any generic softness faults with the D7000.

The fear you express is exactly what we try to guard against by moderating these Forums to ensure that "scare stories" are counteracted by facts, whilst at the same time ensuring that a member who encounters a real problem gets all the advice and help he or she needs.

Those who have been around these Forums for some time will have seen exactly the same type of posts whenever a new model is launched. In the vast marority of cases, it is found that the problem is actually something else. In the rare cases where there has proved to be a widespread problem, Nikon invariably reacts well and offers a fix of some sort.

Please don't hold off waiting for a fix for a D7000 sharpness problem. If you want one, get it and prepare to be wow-ed!

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 31-Mar-11 05:39 PM
1980 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 problems have me scared"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Welcome to Nikonians Joe,

I agree with glocke that the D7000 is a fine camera, but then so is the D90. And unlike some, I have not experienced the defective AF/ soft image issues some have. Any soft or miss focused images I have taken are not the cameras fault (in my case at least ).

Image quality wise, they are to me very similar. The D7000 does have an advantage in that it seems Nikon has done a great job of developing the Exceed 2 processing engine. And the extra resolution of the D7000 is a slight advantage in reach if you are short on focal length and are cropping. The D7000 also has a greater DNR and slightly better high ISO performance. Other than that I believe you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between prints made from both cameras.

Feature set wise the D7000 is steps ahead of the D90. Its feature set places it just behind the D300/D300s in most ways. So if things like 14-bit lossless compressed NEF’s, higher frame rates, more robust shutter, more versatile auto-focus system, mirror up capability and built in Interval Timer are important to you then a D7000 would be a good choice. But with that improved feature set comes a greater responsibility on the user to learn them and their capabilities, and set the camera up propely to get good results. If those extra or expanded features are not significantly important to you, then a D90 could serve you well also.

Hope this helps and good luck in your decision making. But don’t let some of these discussions scare you off.

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 31-Mar-11 06:31 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 problems have me scared"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I was thinking the d7000 sounded
>pretty good but all the bad press I have been reading about
>soft images has me a little worried. Has Nikon made an attempt
>to fix the issues on current production runs of the d7000 or
>would i be happier with a d90.

Happiness is such a relative concept.

In point of fact, the press on the D7000 has generally been phenomenal. But, if you can find a better DX camera than the D7000, you should definitely buy it.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Thu 31-Mar-11 06:56 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 problems have me scared"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

Welcome to the community, Joe. Life in general can be scary but I don't believe you should be concerned about the D7000 anymore than a D90 or D700. All can have some problems but most of the problems that have been noted regarding the D7000 were probably a result of user error.
Yes, there were some that may have had an issue but Nikon has a very good reputation for correcting such problems; some of these cameras may well have been good until used incorrectly thereby getting the "bad press". I have the D7000 and any soft or out-of-focus problems were my fault. You can look at many pictures that have been displayed on these forums and see exceptional results.
Bottom line is that Nikon can not correct nor fix user error.

Regards,

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Thu 31-Mar-11 08:36 PM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 problems have me scared"
In response to Reply # 5

Ellington, US

My D7000 has been stellar. Can't say enough about it. No regrets. Go for it.

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

jckingca Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Dec 2010Thu 31-Mar-11 10:03 PM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 problems have me scared"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

The D7000 is a fantastic camera.
I had one of the very few early ones with AF issues and my dealer swapped it for a new body which is 100% fine. You won't be disappointed in this camera which has superb color rendition and great handling of low light and dynamic range.

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Thu 31-Mar-11 10:50 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 problems have me scared"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

>Guys and Gals,
>
>I am ready to purchase a new camera. I am looking at the d7000
>or the d90 I have no intrest in the video that the cameras do
>i will be using for photography only. I currently have a d3100
>and fell in love with it. I am looking for a second camera
>that i can keep my 18- 105 lens on. The d3100 has a 55-200 so
>I have the best of both worlds depending on which body I pick
>up. I was a cannon user and use a NIkon at my job on occation
>and liked it so i switched. I was thinking the d7000 sounded
>pretty good but all the bad press I have been reading about
>soft images has me a little worried. Has Nikon made an attempt
>to fix the issues on current production runs of the d7000 or
>would i be happier with a d90.
>
>Thanks
>Joe
>

Joe,

If you search for a camera model and 'soft images' you will get numerous hits for all makes and models. No surprisingly these complaints are most prevalent close in time to the release of the model.

Ultimately I would encourage you not to succumb to internet hysteria. When I bought my d90 it was the new model on the block. At that time the internet was alive with complaints that it produced inherently soft images. This of course was not true, but that didn't stop people from making all sorts of wild claims about it, and some even cracked open their camera and physically adjusted their AF, ensuring that the camera would never record a proper image. People then realized if they had just figured out that increasing sharpening in camera to about 5 (or sharpening PP) 'solved' the 'problem'.

The d7000 doesn't have a soft image problem. I have owned once since it hit the market and I have had no problem with it at all, if I did I would have returned it. Ask yourself why pros such as Joe McNally would be using it as their DX camera if it had these so-called issues.

Jason

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Thu 31-Mar-11 11:51 PM
1760 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 problems have me scared"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 31-Mar-11 11:53 PM by Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US

Joe welcome,

I had the D90 as my main machine, even with a completely newbie run at imagery, and some severe coaching, a lot of reading and so on the captures have helped build my catalog, stock shots and fine art beyond what I was using, the 900 and the smaller 5600, both of which also managed to get keepers.

The D7K, is a step up from the D90 for me in that it's MP and video codec (h.264) are advanced and currently excel in the cropped world.

For others comparing the D300 etc, it's going to have trade offs.

For faster frame rates, I invested in the D3S, which can slam it hard for multiple shots, especially at DX mode.

These purchases are calculated, none will be perfect and the D90 is still a phone call away in the family should we need another back up.

Now, as to the admonitions about softness, I see that several folks have illustrated the notion in context but, just because I can, I'm going to take my D7K down to Nikon (a 15 mile drive) and leave it for a check up.

I haven't had any issues per se and would post one from Death Valley but, that's bad etiquette to OP's, so take my word and others here, it's sharp.

The body does need a firmware update so why not let the folks there do a sensor cleaning and calibration.

I went there yesterday and found out the business hours for telephone, do not match their walk-in hours but I will take it back next week just for kicks.

If I lived somewhere else, I wouldn't dream of sending it back but we have some lag time in April, so I can afford to leave it while we manage video editing on existing content.

I find it amazing that Canon shooters, many, will buy adapters to use Nikon glass BTW, for video, just sayin'.

Rob

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Fri 01-Apr-11 09:03 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7000 problems have me scared - are there any problems?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

I have not seen any justified bad press, and lots of good press.
I now have a D7000 - it can produce sharper prints than either my D300s or my D3s
Sharpness is a relative thing - and as (getting technical) DSLR's have anti aliasing filters to reduce moire in some fine detail subjects some sharpness adjustments are usual.
Sharpness settings might vary from 5 in "snapshot" jpeg mode to nil prior to a final print in "advanced photography mode" shooting RAW.
Generally beginners do not have to worry about these details - and they can be post processed for free with Nikon ViewNX2
Where some "loose the plot" is assuming critical sharpness can be judged by viewing at 100% on a monitor - sorry this is wrong.
100% viewing from a D7000 is equivalent to viewing a 4 foot wide print at 15 inches - but at less than 100 dpi - because that is all most monitors resolve. Critical sharpness needs a minimum of 200 dpi - and often higher - so a 20 inch wide print is a better basis for judging sharpness.
When you learn to use your D3100 to a good standard (you may already have done this) with skill and your lenses 1 stop down from wide open you can obtain good 20 inch wide prints
With a D7000 you should achieve comparable quality 24 inch wide prints
If you cannot do this you need to either improve your photographic skills (Nikonians is good for this) or maybe if you think you have problem equipment to post a sample picture for feedback.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

jlg759 Registered since 14th Mar 2011Fri 01-Apr-11 03:15 PM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7000 problems have me scared - are there any problems?"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Well hope you all will forgive me but i went out and bought the d90. I liked the feel of it. I think it will serve me for a long time. I did notic3e it was a little heavier then my other bodies but thats ok. The weather hear in PA is bad right now so my first outing will be a car race on Sunday. Thanks for all your help and look for some shots from me soon

Joe

chris_platt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Apr 2009Fri 01-Apr-11 03:32 PM
751 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D7000 problems have me scared - are there any problems?"
In response to Reply # 11

Newburg, US

There's nothing to forgive. Nikon only makes good DSLRs. You now have one of the best. Congratulations on your acquisition. We look forward to seeing your pictures.

Visit my gallery.

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Fri 01-Apr-11 03:40 PM
1980 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D7000 problems have me scared - are there any problems?"

US

I agree with Chris, no apologies necessary.

You asked the right questions, did your due diligence and made the best decision for yourself.

The D90 is a great camera and I am sure it is going to serve you well.

Pete

Pete

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Fri 01-Apr-11 06:05 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D7000 problems have me scared - are there any problems?"

Toronto, CA

I loved my d90, if it had the ISO performance of the d7000 I likely would not have upgraded.

Jason

pjr Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2005Fri 01-Apr-11 04:37 PM
2244 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D7000 problems have me scared"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 01-Apr-11 04:37 PM by pjr

Manotick, CA

I bought mine last week, slapped a lens on it and wow! Everything works perfectly and the images are the best I've ever got so far, and I'm coming from a D300 (which I also loved).

Phil
A Canadian Nikonian
My portfolio: www.pjr99.500px.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7709 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.