Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7699
View in linear mode

Subject: "Using two memory cards" Previous topic | Next topic
Don Boys Registered since 12th Aug 2007Thu 31-Mar-11 12:54 PM
102 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Using two memory cards"

Hope, US

I have a 16 gig card in slot 1, 8 gig in slot two. I selected RAW Slot 1-JPEG Slot 2. I expected that if I was shooting JPEG's they would go to slot 2, but in my limited try I seem to get two copies of the image, one on both cards. Am I doing something wrong?

Don Boys
Hope, MI

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Using two memory cards
DeanAZ Moderator
31st Mar 2011
Don Boys
31st Mar 2011
DeanAZ Moderator
31st Mar 2011
DavidPB
01st Apr 2011
Don Boys
03rd Apr 2011
DavidPB
05th Apr 2011
tla536
25th May 2011
briantilley Moderator
25th May 2011
tla536
26th May 2011
agitater Gold Member
26th May 2011
briantilley Moderator
26th May 2011
tla536
27th May 2011

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Thu 31-Mar-11 01:17 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Using two memory cards"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

In the image quality setting just below the Role played by card 2 setting you need to specify the type of RAW + JPEG you want to shoot. If you have it set to RAW only you will get the behavior you first described.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Don Boys Registered since 12th Aug 2007Thu 31-Mar-11 07:08 PM
102 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Using two memory cards"
In response to Reply # 1

Hope, US

I was trying to shoot either RAW or JPEG, but not both. I elect either RAW alone or JPEG fine depending upon the situation. I hoped the RAW would end up on one card, JPEG on the other.

Does not seem to be happening.

Don Boys
Hope, MI

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Thu 31-Mar-11 08:11 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Using two memory cards"
In response to Reply # 2

Phoenix, US

It seems I misunderstood your question, Don. I think that feature is only for when you are shooting RAW + JPEG. I'm not sure if what you would like to do is supported. It seems reasonable to ask but I'll have to wait until I get home to see if there is a way to send the RAW to one card and just JPEG only to card 2. I know you can do that with video files.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

DavidPB Registered since 28th Mar 2009Fri 01-Apr-11 01:20 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Using two memory cards"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Just checked it out on my D7000 and the Raw to card #1 and JPG to card #2 only works when you shoot Raw + JPG. If you shoot only Raw followed by another picture in JPG they both go to memory card #1. Just a note I remember a comment in the manual that said that if you shoot Raw + JPG and store the raw on card #1 and the JPG on card #2 that if you deleted a photo it only deletes the one on the card you are viewing the picture from whereas if both photos are stored on a single card deleting the photo will delete both the Raw and the JPG file.

Don Boys Registered since 12th Aug 2007Sun 03-Apr-11 02:25 PM
#5. "RE: Using two memory cards"
In response to Reply # 4

Hope, US

My experience leads me to believe if your in Raw 1, JPG 2 storage mode, and you shoot a picture in JPG, card 2 acts as a backup. You get two copies of your file, one on each card.

Too bad. I was hoping for a way to keep my JPG shooting separate from my RAW shooting. I am coming from a D80 where I always shot RAW, but the huge file size of the D7000 RAW images has me reconsidering JPG shooting for some stuff.

Don Boys
Hope, MI

DavidPB Registered since 28th Mar 2009Tue 05-Apr-11 01:30 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Using two memory cards"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I agree that would be nice as I also sometimes shoot just JPEG. As for the backup you mentioned I checked the second card for copies of the JPEGs I shot on the first card and there was no copy on the second card. I suspect you won't unless you set the second card configuration for backup prior to taking the picture. I haven't tried configuring the two cards one way then switching to another way midstream but suspect it works. For now as I don't use video except for experimentation the second card doesn't get used much. I tend to download my pictures and clear out the cards every night. If I don't clear out the cards, I get lots of duplicates in my computer when I donwload pictures the next time. Luckily my Mac has a large time machine disk which backs up everything automatically.

Right now I am working on my technique as I seem to have problems getting sharp pictures on the D7000. As mentioned in other forums it seems lens quality and technique are more critical on this camera than on my D60.

David

tla536 Registered since 26th Aug 2010Wed 25-May-11 06:23 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Using two memory cards"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>Just checked it out on my D7000 and the Raw to card #1 and
>JPG to card #2 only works when you shoot Raw + JPG. If you
>shoot only Raw followed by another picture in JPG they both go
>to memory card #1.

I just came back from a trip to Alaska and had my D7000 was set up to do Raw + JPG and to my surprise I don't have one Raw file on card #1. I had the role setting for the Raw + JPG. So what did I do wrong? I do not want this to happen again. I will try a few shoots arond the house and see if I can figure this out, but any help here would be nice. Thanks

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 25-May-11 06:29 PM
28332 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Using two memory cards"
In response to Reply # 7

Paignton, GB

>I just came back from a trip to Alaska and had my D7000 was
>set up to do Raw + JPG and to my surprise I don't have one Raw
>file on card #1.

A bit more information would help - what did you get on the card in slot #1, what was on the card in slot #2, and what are you using to see whatever is on the cards?

Thanks

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

tla536 Registered since 26th Aug 2010Thu 26-May-11 04:27 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Using two memory cards"
In response to Reply # 8

US

I had JPG files on both cards and I am using a USB Sandisk reader on my IMac.

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Thu 26-May-11 05:42 PM
3864 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Using two memory cards"
In response to Reply # 9

Toronto, CA

>I had JPG files on both cards and I am using a USB Sandisk
>reader on my IMac.

Seems more likely your iMac (or whatever software you're using on the iMac) is not recognizing the D7000 NEF files. Update your photo software - Lightroom, ACDSee, Aperture, iPhoto or whatever you're using - to get the latest RAW file loaders which all include the D7000 NEF format. Suddenly, your NEF files will appear.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 26-May-11 10:17 PM
28332 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Using two memory cards"
In response to Reply # 10

Paignton, GB

I would think that's a very likely explanation, Howard - thanks

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

tla536 Registered since 26th Aug 2010Fri 27-May-11 01:00 AM
#12. "RE: Using two memory cards"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Thanks everyone but I found out what I did wrong! I had the role set for Raw + JPG and the Image set to JPG fine. My thinking is that that's where the files and what kind of file would be saves to which slot. Once I changed the Image quality to Raw + Fine everything works great. I wish I would have know about this before I left for Alaska but at least I have all JPG's in fine mode. This D7000 is a lot more camera than my D90 was. Still have a lot more to learn and a lot more shooting to do.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7699 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.