Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7692
View in linear mode

Subject: "Thoms D7k book worth it?" Previous topic | Next topic
glocke Registered since 15th Mar 2011Thu 31-Mar-11 11:07 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Thoms D7k book worth it?"

US

Has anyone here purchased Thom Hogans D7000 guide?

At $80.00 this is not an insignificant investment, especially for a printed book that contains black and white photos. I've been a fan of Thom's site for a couple of years, but have severe sticker shock when it comes to this book.

If anyone has owned one of the nikonians press books before could they please offer up some kind of comparison?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?
Gamecocks Silver Member
31st Mar 2011
JPJ Silver Member
31st Mar 2011
luckyphoto Silver Member
31st Mar 2011
visionguru
31st Mar 2011
RiverDog
04th Apr 2011
PAStime Silver Member
04th Apr 2011
b1234s
05th Apr 2011
PAStime Silver Member
05th Apr 2011
RiverDog
05th Apr 2011
mdallie Silver Member
05th Apr 2011
waxart
06th Apr 2011
JillyH Silver Member
08th Apr 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
08th Apr 2011
mholka
08th Apr 2011
waxart
08th Apr 2011
mholka
08th Apr 2011
adcam Gold Member
09th Apr 2011
output555 Silver Member
09th Apr 2011
luckyphoto Silver Member
09th Apr 2011
Pocobear
10th Apr 2011
Coldfront Silver Member
11th Apr 2011
mholka
11th Apr 2011
ozzy1 Silver Member
12th Apr 2011
Coldfront Silver Member
21st Apr 2011
b1234s
21st Apr 2011
mholka
21st Apr 2011
Coldfront Silver Member
21st Apr 2011
mholka
21st Apr 2011
Coldfront Silver Member
21st Apr 2011
mholka
21st Apr 2011
b1234s
22nd Apr 2011
Coldfront Silver Member
22nd Apr 2011
mjd1969 Silver Member
22nd Apr 2011
FrankL0 Silver Member
24th Apr 2011
adcam Gold Member
25th Apr 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
25th Apr 2011
b1234s
25th Apr 2011
adcam Gold Member
26th Apr 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
26th Apr 2011
adcam Gold Member
26th Apr 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
26th Apr 2011
pwarbeck Silver Member
26th Apr 2011
waldo647 Silver Member
26th Apr 2011
jgould2 Gold Member
28th Apr 2011
jmespo
01st May 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
01st May 2011
redbike
02nd May 2011
lym Silver Member
11th May 2011
luckyphoto Silver Member
13th May 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
13th May 2011
blw Moderator
11th May 2011
Covey22 Moderator
11th May 2011
Biker Bill Gold Member
13th May 2011
mdallie Silver Member
20th May 2011

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Thu 31-Mar-11 12:29 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 31-Mar-11 12:30 PM by Gamecocks

Joanna, US

Welcome to the community. I ordered from Thom's site and it was $39.99 plus shipping. There are a lot of "filler" pages that takes the neophyte through the stages of what a dslr is, etc. but overall it is a very good guide. The small "field guide" is easy to take with you and covers everything you probably need. I like it and have already used some of his suggestions.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Thu 31-Mar-11 12:39 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

>Has anyone here purchased Thom Hogans D7000 guide?
>
>At $80.00 this is not an insignificant investment, especially
>for a printed book that contains black and white photos. I've
>been a fan of Thom's site for a couple of years, but have
>severe sticker shock when it comes to this book.
>
>If anyone has owned one of the nikonians press books before
>could they please offer up some kind of comparison?

I own both Thom's D90 Guide and Young's Mastering the D90.

Both are excellent.

The Mastering the DXX(XX) guides cover all the basics very well, contains some great tips and have some advanced information. If you are not looking to understand, in any depth, the inner workings of your camera and just want to learn how the settings impact your photos it is a great book, and better than similar books on the market (I liked it better than the Magic Lantern book and the D90 Field Guide) . It would be my go to book to replace the manual that comes with the camera, which is less than user friendly sometimes.

Thom's Guides are photographic tombs of information. You get everything in the Mastering the DXX(XX) guide plus a lot of information about the inner workings of your camera and generally more detail. Thom's Guide is where I would go if I want to learn not only how to set up my camera and take photos but why my camera behaves the way it does in certain circumstances, i.e. what is actually happening inside the camera. You also get a very good primer on Nikon's software.

I would likely end up recommending the Mastering DXX(XX) guide to a beginner and Thom's Guide to someone who has a little more experience, but admittedly that is a generalization. Beginners could get something out of both books (Thom's is just a much bigger commitment to read, absorb and understand) and people with experience can still get a refresher and learn a few new things from the Mastering series.

I will end up buying both again for my d7000, I am a photography book junkie.

Jason

p.s. As for the price of Thom's Guide, you do get value for your money, in addition to the large bound Guide you get the smaller spiral bound Go To Guide that just covers the camera settings summarily and some other extras.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Thu 31-Mar-11 03:50 PM
685 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu 31-Mar-11 03:51 PM by luckyphoto

Port Charlotte, US

If you want the 800+ page book in printed form, it's $80. If you want the 800+ page book on a CD in PDF format it's $40.

I couldn't see using the big book in the field so I opted for the CD version and loaded the PDF version on my computer.

Both options also come with an 8-1/2" x 6", 147-page "To Go" Guide that's small enough to fit in my camera bag.

Like the old American Express commercials - "I never leave home without it!"

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

visionguru Registered since 03rd Nov 2008Thu 31-Mar-11 04:01 PM
210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

I have yet encountered a problem that I couldn't find answers on the manual and online forums. I can understand that people who are new to DSLR may want do some reading to understand the concepts. But for those who used DSLR for a while, there are not many new stuff, $80? Come on. No.

Jay
- Chicago Nikonian

RiverDog Registered since 18th Mar 2011Mon 04-Apr-11 06:03 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Leander, US

I bought the $40 version of the book - small printed, and large PDF (800+ pages). Admittedly I am a photo book junkie but this is the first time since my Rolleiflex that I bought a book about the innards of the camera I just purchased.

I am awed by the material in the book - to a level of detail any engineer would love. This is a very comprehensive presentation of everything you ever wanted to know about the D7000. This sounds stupid but I could hardly put the book down. You will learn considerably more about the camera and about the why did they do that, than you will with any other book.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Mon 04-Apr-11 10:46 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon 04-Apr-11 10:47 PM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

Thom's book on the D90 was well worth the $40 I paid for it. The section on flash photography alone was worth the investment. Peter

b1234s Registered since 05th Dec 2010Tue 05-Apr-11 02:43 AM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 6

Winter Garden, US

How long did it take to receive your book. I ordered a little over a week ago and have received no information other than a confirmation from PayPal.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Tue 05-Apr-11 11:54 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 7

Kingston, CA

>How long did it take to receive your book. I ordered a
>little over a week ago and have received no information other
>than a confirmation from PayPal.

I see something on his web site about being behind on fulfilling orders. Peter

RiverDog Registered since 18th Mar 2011Tue 05-Apr-11 02:40 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 8

Leander, US

I received the book about 12 days after I ordered it. This was in the mid-March timeframe. I never did get a confirmation email saying that it was on the way - it just showed up.

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Tue 05-Apr-11 11:06 PM
222 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Novi, US

I pre-ordered it from Thom's website based on accolades from others on this forum re: his other books. I paid the $40 for the PDF + printed book to fit in my camera bag. I read the PDF on my iPad or on my computer.

I am very pleased with the 800+ pages. There is a lot of detail. When I read the manual I am left very hungry and empty without feeling I know what I need to know to properly choose my settings. With Thom's book, I get a lot of explanation that is excellent.

I love it!

Mike

waxart Registered since 16th Jan 2008Wed 06-Apr-11 04:23 PM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 10

Vallejo, US

The book, DVD, and extra quick-check book are definitely worth the money. He writes very well with enormous detail, but in a down-to-earth style. There are parts which I skip over when it all gets too technical and I think "Do I really need to know this?" I've so far discovered that the D7000 is way more complex than I ever dreamed and that it's a miracle, knowing how little I do, that I ever achieve a good shot:-) However, it's exciting to discover just how much there is to learn and I now have the ultimate guide. Buy it!
http://annbaldwin.zenfolio.com/

JillyH Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Nov 2006Fri 08-Apr-11 10:41 AM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#12. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 11

Harrisville, US

Hi,

I ordered Thom's guide for my D200 several years ago, when a hard copy of the book was not available, only a CD. I went to considerable time and expense to copy the pages, front and back, and have them spiral bound into a book.
I have also had his guide for the D300.
I haven't found any guide better in terms of the amount of information and I look forward to receiving the one I ordered for my D7000. Thankfully I've come to like having the info on my laptop and tablet, so I no longer need to spend the money for the actual book. However, I do believe if you want the book...the price he charges is very reasonable.

Jill

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Fri 08-Apr-11 10:58 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 12

Joanna, US

High Jill,

I agree with you on the price of printing the book as there are a lot of pages. I recently had a friend @ the local university print out a similar book but with only 390 pages and it was about half of Thom's printed book. Since you have access to the camera and monitor, the CD was the way for me to go; especially since he includes the "field guide" which is very helpful.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

mholka Registered since 04th Jan 2011Fri 08-Apr-11 03:33 PM
410 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 13

Brownstown Twp, US

I spent the extra money on getting the printed copy. But I am now wondering about cancelling my order. I order the boot in the middle of last month and still don't have it. I was emailed that it would ship on 3/31.

So Monday and again today emailed to get a status on my order. The response was "Orders will resume shipping on 4/13." You would think an email would go out to those folks who expected it to ship on 3/31.

Waiting a month or more for a book seems ridiculous especially since my payment was made via PayPal at the time of order.

I guess I will order someone else's book now.

Shoot, shoot and shoot some more!

--Martin
www.ExclusivePhotoWorks.com
Nikon Body's
D800e, D300s, D7000, D90, D80, F100

Lenses:
18 - 200 F3.5-5.6 VRII, 70-200 F2.8 VR II,
18 - 105 F3.5-5.6 VR, 18 - 135 F3.5-5.6,
35 - 70 F2.8, 50 F1.4, 70 - 300 F4-4.5,
Sigma 150-500 F5-6.3

waxart Registered since 16th Jan 2008Fri 08-Apr-11 08:11 PM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 14

Vallejo, US

I understand your frustration, but since this is almost certainly the best book out there for the D7000, why not just wait it out? Mine took 3 weeks, but it was well worth the wait. Maybe you're in a hurry for some other reason.

mholka Registered since 04th Jan 2011Fri 08-Apr-11 09:13 PM
410 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 15

Brownstown Twp, US

I will wait. I am just a little impatient is all. Thats what makes my NAS so bad for me and good for Nikon!

--Martin
Nikon Body's

Lenses:
Sigma 150-500 F5-6.3

adcam Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2007Sat 09-Apr-11 02:20 AM
577 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 14

Portland, US

At least you got a response. I e-mailed him without a single response. Not sure if my order went thru or not.

output555 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2008Sat 09-Apr-11 03:21 PM
317 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 17
Sat 09-Apr-11 03:22 PM by output555

US

$80! OMG. How much better can this be than David Busch's book which is less than $25. And, for that matter, how much better than the free owner's manual?

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sat 09-Apr-11 03:27 PM
685 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 18

Port Charlotte, US

It's not just the book, it's also a CD with the PDF of the book and a smaller 148-page printed Go-To spiral-bound guide you can put in your camera bag. If you want the CD and Go-To guide only, the price is around $40.

I chose option 2 and feel it was money well spent.

Larry

Pocobear Registered since 09th Apr 2011Sun 10-Apr-11 02:14 PM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 19

Mechanicsville, US

I ordered the CD option and received it in about 3 weeks. I wasn't familiar with the author, except for what I read on the website, which I liked but wasn't sure what his books would be like. Now after reading through the PDF file, I wished I had spent the extra and gotten the printed manual. I seem to get more out of things when they are on the printed page. You know, notes in the margin, underlining, etc. That said, I really like the ability to search that the PDF format gives you. I agree with others that I couldn't stop reading it, except to pick up the D7000 and try some of the things I read about. Some of these things I don't think you would be able to find out on your own, without a lot of research time spent. I haven't seen any of the other books on the D7000, but I have read a lot of books and manuals on other cameras, and this is hands down the best I have ever seen. Hmm, wonder if I can buy just the book now? That would be nice.

Coldfront Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2004Mon 11-Apr-11 05:24 PM
264 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#21. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 20

Marengo, US

With all the positive feedback, I just ordered the set. jim

Coldfront

mholka Registered since 04th Jan 2011Mon 11-Apr-11 05:54 PM
#22. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 20

Brownstown Twp, US

Couldn't you just go to Kinko's and print a copy and have them put it in a binder?

If you own the softcopy then you should be fine to print it. Guessing of course!

--Martin
Nikon Body's

Lenses:
Sigma 150-500 F5-6.3

ozzy1 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2011Tue 12-Apr-11 11:59 AM
90 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 22

AU

As for me, I like the Dummies, Idiots, and QUE Visual guides...but hey! I read 'em all th way through.

I find it better always to buy at least two authors, because they emphasize different aspects...and if one is a bit ambiguous or opaque, usually the other's writing clarifies th issue.

And if I need more detail, there are these forums....

Coldfront Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2004Thu 21-Apr-11 03:48 PM
264 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#24. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 23

Marengo, US

Holy smoke! I got the book and CD in 9 days. I correct to assume I am to print the field guide from the CD? thanx jim

Coldfront

b1234s Registered since 05th Dec 2010Thu 21-Apr-11 06:22 PM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 24

Winter Garden, US

"assume I am to print the field guide from the CD"

Yes, it is a copy of the full book. Many folks just keep it on their PC for reference and use the small spiral recap as a carry along guide as it has the major highlights from the full book.

mholka Registered since 04th Jan 2011Thu 21-Apr-11 06:21 PM
#25. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Brownstown Twp, US

ABSOLUTELY! The printed version is the same as what is on the cd, so if you wanted you could print it at home or go to a local printer then they could bind it for you.

The field guide is excellent. I am really happy i waited for it and did not cancel my order after waiting a while.'

Excellent guide - totally worth the 80 bucks for me!

--Martin
Nikon Body's

Lenses:
Sigma 150-500 F5-6.3

Coldfront Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2004Thu 21-Apr-11 06:52 PM
#27. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 25
Thu 21-Apr-11 06:53 PM by Coldfront

Marengo, US

I did not get the field guide apparently? jim

Coldfront

mholka Registered since 04th Jan 2011Thu 21-Apr-11 06:57 PM
#28. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 27

Brownstown Twp, US

It is actually called "Nikon D7000 To Go Guide"

Smaller condense settings and reference guide that fits nicely in a camera bag.

--Martin
Nikon Body's

Lenses:
Sigma 150-500 F5-6.3

Coldfront Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2004Thu 21-Apr-11 10:03 PM
#29. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 28

Marengo, US

Is the "to go guide a separate book? Or is it something that you print from the CD? jim

Coldfront

mholka Registered since 04th Jan 2011Thu 21-Apr-11 11:12 PM
#30. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 29

Brownstown Twp, US

I got order which included the CD, The printed Big Book and the printed smaller To Go Guide.

I got all 3.

--Martin
Nikon Body's

Lenses:
Sigma 150-500 F5-6.3

b1234s Registered since 05th Dec 2010Fri 22-Apr-11 12:03 AM
#31. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 30

Winter Garden, US

If you paid $47.98 you get the CD and the small guide. If you paid $79.97 you get the CD, the small guide and the full bound book which is on the CD.

Coldfront Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2004Fri 22-Apr-11 01:13 AM
#32. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 31

Marengo, US

I paid 79.95 got the big book and the CD. thanx jim

Coldfront

mjd1969 Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jul 2009Fri 22-Apr-11 08:23 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 32
Fri 22-Apr-11 08:40 PM by mjd1969

Westminster, US

I just received my CD and to go guide yesterday. It took about 2 weeks to be delivered. Not too bad- I was expecting a longer wait. After 24 hours of flipping through it, I can tell it's a great investment. My D7000 was a gift from my very generous wife and more camera than I need for my skill level. I'm already learning from the Thoms guide. I put the PDF on my Ipad, so it's almost always with me. It's definately a good buy.

FrankL0 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jan 2011Sun 24-Apr-11 09:15 AM
80 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 33

Letchworth Garden City, GB

Definitely worth the wait - and the $80!

You don't just get 'this knob does this', you also get Thom's hugely valuable knowledge and experience with the hints, tips and explanations that he includes.

Call me a nerd if you like, but I couldn't put it down!

adcam Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2007Mon 25-Apr-11 03:12 PM
577 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 33

Portland, US

How do you tansfer the pdf guide to the iPad?

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 25-Apr-11 03:28 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 35
Mon 25-Apr-11 06:28 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Do you have an app that can read a PDF file?

Some provide the UI to to do this.

Make an ad hock WiFi network with your Mac or PC. Transfer PDF Files to Your iPad Using Wi-Fi
Add PDF's to iTunes and sync. How to transfer PDF to iPad?
Go through some 3rd party service. How to add PDF files to read in iBooks on your iPad, iPod Touch or iPhone
You can convert PDF's to EPUB, both formats are Adobe developed formats.

I think this might be more useful under the computers forum. The only connection to the D7000 is Thom's book. I have all of the Nikon manuals for my equipment on a USB drive and loaded onto my Nook. Now if Nikon would add bookmarks, link the TOC to content, number the displayed pages to match the number shown on the page, etc to make the PDF's more user friendly.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

b1234s Registered since 05th Dec 2010Mon 25-Apr-11 06:30 PM
#37. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 36

Winter Garden, US

I recently put Thoms book on my Ipad as well and it works great. The photos are clear and sharp and the text is fine. I did convert the PDF file to epub then put it on the Ipad.

adcam Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2007Tue 26-Apr-11 04:28 AM
#38. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"

Portland, US

George, Thank you very much for your suggestions! I used the iTunes method and it worked like a charm, fast too. I downloaded the D700 and D7000 guides.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Tue 26-Apr-11 04:45 AM
4090 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"

Alberta, CA

I've been meaning to get FileApp or GoodReader for the longest time for my camera manuals, Thom Hogan, and Jason Odell PDFs. But with this new iTunes method, or Epub what are the ad/disadvantages? Sorry I am not clear what is the best product?

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

adcam Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2007Tue 26-Apr-11 05:52 AM
#40. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 39

Portland, US

If you are referring to the iPad, I just copied it via iTunes as posted by George. You will need to download the free iBook app. It was quick and painless

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Tue 26-Apr-11 02:05 PM
4090 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#42. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 40

Alberta, CA

Thanks that does sound pretty painless. This is for an iPhone.

I'll give it a try!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Tue 26-Apr-11 12:50 PM
246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#41. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tucson AZ, US

I received my copy (CD version) after about 3 weeks. I converted the pdf to kindle format using Mobipocket Creator and have been reading it on my desktop PC using Amazon's Kindle for PC (a great software combination, and 100% free). I have read the first quarter of the book. Here are my impressions so far.

The book is 800 pages long because it tries to be all things to all people: a book for the first time DSLR user as well as the experienced DSLR user. The first 227 pages are basically a synopsis of everything Thom has written about digital camera internals (sensors and other hardware/software), with an emphasis the D7000 and how it differs from (and often improves upon) other Nikon cameras. I found the information highly uneven in its level of detail, perhaps because it may have been assembled by cutting and pasting from other material Thom has published. Thom advises DSLR beginners to read this section and experienced users to skip it. My advice would be just the opposite. I can imagine a beginner finding much of this material fairly opaque and ultimately discouraging. If you are new to DSLR's, your money would be better spent on an intro book or an online "intro to digital photography" course.

As far as the pocket guide is concerned, can it really improve on Nikon's official user manual? If anyone has used Thom's Guide in the field, I'd be interested in your comments. The Nikon manual is phenomenal. It has a great index, tabbed sections, and is extensively cross-referenced. You can find what you're looking for in seconds.

Visit my gallery on 23hq

waldo647 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2007Tue 26-Apr-11 09:13 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#43. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 41

SF Bay Area, US

I got both, and — from what I've learned — it's really worth the price. He self-publishes, so don't expect Amazon response times. Thom also teaches workshops, and travels to long-distance shoots; so he has other irons in the fire.

What you're getting with Thom is really thorough in-depth discussion and suggestions. For instance, how you might increase (or maximize) dynamic range on the D7k. This alone for me is worth the price. This is a complex subject, and it takes a while to wrap your head around it, and Thom does (for me at least) a great job of explaining it.

The eBook/PDF version, which I moved to my iPad, provides really indepth information, that frankly I haven't seen in similar books. The eBook is 820 pages on my iPad, so there is considerably more depth on the technical aspects of the camera and how they work.

Take a look at his website/blog, bythom.com — you can get a flavor of his writing there, and see if it resonates for you. It did for me.

My 2 cents,
- Chris

jgould2 Gold Member Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Thu 28-Apr-11 11:53 PM
4369 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#44. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 0

El Segundo (Los Angeles), US

Hi.

I don't have a D7k yet but I do have Thom's guides (on my computer) for the D200, D2x, D300, D700 and D3s. I highly recommend them and personally find them indispensable. When I first get one I read it cover to cover then go back with the camera and go over each important item. When I am through I am ready to confidently use the camera.

JIM

jmespo Registered since 20th Dec 2006Sun 01-May-11 11:17 PM
#45. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Ok, after reading all the comments I only have one questions as I am a newbie. How do I order Tom's book . I just purchased my D7000 Saturday. I was lucky to get one as the local photo store I always buy my stuff from only had 4 left with no new orders till at least the end of August. I have been reading through the manual, and starting to set things up. Plane on just getting the CD and the field guide. Can load the PDF on my Kindle and can carry both around.

Thanks for the help and I am sure I will be back for more advice
John

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 01-May-11 11:39 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#46. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 45

Chicago, US

Welcome to Nikonians,

Go to his web site by THom and follow the links.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

redbike Registered since 22nd Aug 2010Mon 02-May-11 04:15 PM
76 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#47. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Edmonton, CA

>
>If anyone has owned one of the nikonians press books before
>could they please offer up some kind of comparison?

Totally worth it: his discussion of white balance alone is worth the price of admission. I purchased Young's manual for the D90 and it was very well written - I'm sure his manual for the D7K will be very good. However, Thom's book is exhaustive. Costs more, but you get everything you paid for.

lym Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jul 2009Wed 11-May-11 07:33 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#48. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 47

hilo, US

i bought the full set and i don't think it's worth it. there seemed to be little middle ground. it was either too technical or too simple.

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Fri 13-May-11 01:48 PM
#52. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 48

Port Charlotte, US

>i bought the full set and i don't think it's worth it. there
>seemed to be little middle ground. it was either too
>technical or too simple.

You might want to consider selling it and buying something that more suits your level of educational interest. I'm sure there are those on this site that would buy it immediately.

Larry

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 13-May-11 03:00 PM
#53. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 48
Fri 13-May-11 03:04 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Many camera books are more of a reference book than a text book, so you need to adjust the way you read the book. The same applies to the Nikon user manual supplied with your camera, but Thom is a better writer than the Nikon staff and management.

Thom writes for the many skill levels of the user, so there will be some very basic and very complex techniques.

Setting the camera up and initializing it is pretty straight forward, but there are always something that changes, so it is always a good idea to skim over the setup sections and see if anything changes.

If you read, listen, or study how the most respected photographers set up shoots, you will soon realize how complex and subtle the setup can be. I just saw a video by Joe McNally about setting up a one light portrait. Just shifting the Speedlight 6 inches can make a big difference the final result.

The cost of the book should be considered in the light of how much you want to pursue photography. If you want vacation and family snapshots using a name brand camera, then Thom's book and Darrel's books might not be worth your while and that is fine. But if you want to capture stunning photographic images, then the books are well worth the cost. There are always new techniques and understanding of how the lens, light and recording media interact as these items are changed over time.

With the advent of portable eReaders and eBooks, it is now possible for serious photographers to have there user manual and many reference manuals and charts in their field kit and available as needed in almost any location. Adding an eBook does not increase the weight of the eReader one ounce or gram.

Photography is life long learning hobby and you have the choice upon how much you want to learn and spend.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 11-May-11 10:15 AM
26301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#49. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I don't have a D7000, but even with 28 years of experience as a Nikon owner (and 9 Nikon bodies, including 4 DSLRs), I buy Thom Hogan's guide for every camera when I buy the camera. Whenever I get a D4 or D400 (or whatever) I'll be buying his guide as soon as it becomes available. I think it's fair to say that I have a reasonable background but I *always* learn a lot from each new book.

I don't do paper books for stuff like this - like the others, the electronic copy is on my traveling electronics. (In my case, a laptop and a phone with a reader.) Admittedly I have less need to read it cover to cover than some others do, making the use as an electronic field reference more practical.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 11-May-11 12:39 PM
10410 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#50. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 49

US

Disclaimer: My personal opinion only. I did proof-read the N80 Field Guide years ago, but I have no financial interest in flogging his books.

TH's guides have two differentials that make them stand out against the crowd:

1. He breaks down the menus and tells you what you need to manipulate and what you can set once and forget it forever.

2. The real meat and potatoes is in his field setup and usage - for example - custom settings have become a monster in the latest camera models but he walks you through how you can set it up for different scenarios and gain efficiencies.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Biker Bill Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2009Fri 13-May-11 12:25 PM
892 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#51. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

I think this is the best $80.00 purchase I have ever made. I have only just begun to read the big book and have already learned so much.

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Fri 20-May-11 01:24 AM
222 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#54. "RE: Thoms D7k book worth it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Novi, US

I've had it for a while but only recently started reading it. I'm only about 1/3 of the way through, but....WOW. I love this book.

It has a lot of great detail that is helpful in giving me what I need to set up my camera.

Mike

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7692 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.