Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7675
View in linear mode

Subject: "A night shot." Previous topic | Next topic
TakeTwo Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Thu 31-Mar-11 05:56 AM
214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"A night shot."
Thu 31-Mar-11 05:57 AM by TakeTwo

South Lake Tahoe, US

Here is a night shot of Cave Rock in Lake Tahoe that I took this evening, The cave is lit by passing motorists. Looking North. I forgot to switch the auto white balance off as I would have changed it but oh well. I'm getting older. I remembered the other 4 important things. I did plug the view finder as it does let stray light in.

d7k
30 sec.
ISO 800
f4

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: A night shot.
JosephK Silver Member
31st Mar 2011
TakeTwo Silver Member
31st Mar 2011
Robman3
31st Mar 2011
TakeTwo Silver Member
01st Apr 2011
PAStime Silver Member
01st Apr 2011
RockyIII Gold Member
01st Apr 2011
TakeTwo Silver Member
01st Apr 2011
amolsan
02nd Apr 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
02nd Apr 2011
TakeTwo Silver Member
02nd Apr 2011
mdallie Silver Member
05th Apr 2011
Reply message RE: A night shot
KnightPhoto Gold Member
06th Apr 2011
TakeTwo Silver Member
06th Apr 2011

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 31-Mar-11 07:10 AM
4166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: A night shot."
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Excellent job! I love the way the sky and cave got their exposures balanced out.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

TakeTwo Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Thu 31-Mar-11 10:54 PM
214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: A night shot."
In response to Reply # 1

South Lake Tahoe, US

Cave Rock is a Wahoe Indian worship spot. Many time in the early morning while I'm launching my boat, there are the Wahoe Indians Singing to the rock. Its a sight to behold. Thank you for your comment.

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Thu 31-Mar-11 11:29 PM
1760 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: A night shot."
In response to Reply # 2

West of Santa Monica, US

Donald,

Great image.

I went to college in Incline, so I believe the spelling is Washoe.

DO you have any shots from Pyramid Lake?

Rob

TakeTwo Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Fri 01-Apr-11 01:00 AM
#4. "RE: A night shot."
In response to Reply # 3

South Lake Tahoe, US

Rob, you are correct. No I have not been to Pyramid Lake in some time. I'll put in on my do list. Don

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Fri 01-Apr-11 01:49 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: A night shot."
In response to Reply # 4

Kingston, CA

Nice shot. Fun experimentation with long exposure. I see you captured a satellite. Peter

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Fri 01-Apr-11 02:20 AM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: A night shot."
In response to Reply # 5

Raleigh, US

I wondered what that streak was. Nice shot.

Rocky

TakeTwo Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Fri 01-Apr-11 03:19 AM
#7. "RE: A night shot."
In response to Reply # 5

South Lake Tahoe, US

I see some hot pixels in the image too. A red one right above the satellite. Hum, Not so good. It looks like fast glass and ISO 100 = no hot pixels. I don't have enough experience at the trial and error of ISO versus shutter speed. Which is the best trade off to help with hot pixels. I really need the depth of field on some of my upcoming shots. Can anyone share their settings for night shots similar to what I'm doing here?

amolsan Registered since 14th Mar 2011Sat 02-Apr-11 09:10 AM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: A night shot."
In response to Reply # 2

IN

WOW! Great pic. I can almost hear the worship songs.
Amol

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 02-Apr-11 01:22 PM
4215 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: A night shot."
In response to Reply # 8

Alberta, CA

Great pic Donald, I love the sky colour! I'm thinking just shoot at whatever aperture you need and clone out the hot pixel in post. Back when the camera was new Thom advised hot pixels come with the territory in certain shooting situations and that the D7000 was middle of the pack in its proclivity to produce them, so I wouldn't worry too much about trying to prevent them for this shooting situation.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

TakeTwo Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Sat 02-Apr-11 02:13 PM
#10. "RE: A night shot."
In response to Reply # 9

South Lake Tahoe, US

SteveK, your comment sounds right. I have to preserve my depth of field, which won't be hard if I shoot wide. I'll select my stop and go from there. I also notice that the lake in the image is off horizon. I was to hasty to upload my image before I gave it a once over. The rivers are really starting to flow so the next month I'm going to be busy. Don

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Tue 05-Apr-11 11:27 PM
228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: A night shot."
In response to Reply # 0

Novi, US

This is really an excellently exposed picture. So this makes me ask: how did you determine the exposure? Did the camera figure this out or were you on manual? Trial and error or are there rules of thumb?

I'm going to Italy in June and I understand there are wonderful night shots to be taken. I imagine the Colliseum, the Vatican, etc., taken at night. I am pretty good with my camera and most situations, but pretty clueless on this type of shot other than to use my tripod, a shutter release cable, and over the viewfinder to avoid stray light.

I welcome any suggestions as to how to get the exposure information correct.

Mike

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 06-Apr-11 12:04 AM
4215 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: A night shot"
In response to Reply # 11
Wed 06-Apr-11 12:50 AM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

Mirror lock-up is said to be a very strong contributing factor to sharpness as well although historically I have not been very prone to use it. I am as interested as you are about exposure tips. I imagine the histogram is going to help. Night shots of the Coliseum etc. sound great!

In London and Paris last year much of my high-impact images were at night and many with HDR as well so I guess that is one answer to nailing the exposure - you can then nail it in post to suit taste! The other shots I liked from my trip were night shots immediately after and during let-ups in the rain.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

TakeTwo Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Wed 06-Apr-11 02:18 AM
#13. "RE: A night shot."
In response to Reply # 11
Wed 06-Apr-11 02:32 AM by TakeTwo

South Lake Tahoe, US

Mike, On the exposure setting. I used Manual setting and although I didn't have my remote with me I knew I wanted to shoot the image as fast as I could and that was going to be 28mm f4 ISO 800 at 30 seconds. I selected 30 seconds and worked around that. I used the nikon 18-200 vr1 lens. This was my first shot at Cave Rock that evening. I shot 2 more images but the cars blew out some highlights. In the posted image the histogram showed the image a little on the dark side but nx2 fixed that up. I did spend some time with control points and I use a nic nd grad filter for the sky because it was light. Thank you for your kind works.

SteveK, Oh the rain shots. I'm looking forward to them. I'm leaving for Ireland in May and know that there well be some rain. They average 49 or so inches of rain a year, so that's almost an 1 inch a day. I just got an older Nikon 20mm d 2.8 so I can lower my shutter duration a bit more. I also have a 50mm 1.4 but on a crop sensor its a bight tight, but boy it sure captures the light.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7675 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.